TEMPLATE! DJ FX selector like a Pioneer DJM!

Share your favorite Ableton Live tips, tricks, and techniques.
ben_blue

TEMPLATE! DJ FX selector like a Pioneer DJM!

Post by ben_blue » Sun Nov 26, 2006 6:51 am

Ableton and Bome's Translator Pioneer FX emulation

This is PC only since Bome's is PC, but feel free to take the idea and use it on Mac! And, you'll need Midi Yoke of course.

My goal was to create a way to use only a few knobs to control many effects, in a live or DJ situation. On Pioneer mixers, like the DJM800 and 600, you use a selector to select an effect, and then have two knobs to adjust the selected effect. This is my shot an emulation of that.

http://www.benblue.com/ableton/UC17_pioneer_FX.rar

That Rar file has the .ALS, the BOME'S presets file, and aUC17 file. And, these instructions again.

I provided the XML file from ENIGMA to load into the UC17. But as you'll see, the hardware part is easy, and you can manually configure the few knobs and buttons needed most likely. If you do use that file though, preset 2 is what you will want.

The way it is done here is with buttons to turn on each effect, which are all inserts on audio track 1. On the Xsession UC17 preset provided, the number pad buttons 1 -5 do this. The bottom left two knobs on the UC17 will control the effect you select by pressing one of those number buttons, 1-5.

When you press one of the number buttons to enable that effect, all the others will be turned off! Number pad button "0" will turn them all off.

Example - hit button "1", youve turned on ping pong, and those two knobs are tweaking the dry wet and filter. hit button "2" and youve turned on the redux/ autofilter group (and turned OFF ping pong), and are tweaking samplerate and filter freq (and res slightly, in this case, thanks to 6's multiple mappings!)

This is all enabled with Bome's. For example, effects 1 - 5 all have midi messages assigned with a matching midi channel. For each effect, the on off is CC8, and the two parameters are CC1 and CC2. Hitting button "1" sends CC8 with value of 127 to effect 1 (channel1) and a value of 0 to effects 2-5 (channels 2 -5). It also re-routes the two knobs' messages to arrive in Live on channel 1. And so on and so forth, the rest are set up.

You can customize this quite a bit without having to do the tedious Bome's programming - which i've done for you :).

Reassign what the two knobs do for each effect - just select the effect with number buttons 1-5, and use midi learn mode as normal.

Change what effect is used - simply replace and re-assign the two knobs. But for device on/off, (CC8), you will need to use a knob set to CC8 on the proper channel to re-assign that. (Using device groups, you wouldn't have to reassign that CC8, by using the rack's on/off - but i started all this before Live 6 was out. That would be preferrable.)

Of course this can be done with almost ANY controller.

* Two knobs set to CC1 and CC2. (channel 1)
* 5 Buttons, set to Midi Note #'s 1 - 5 (channel 1), each sending Velocity of 127 every time it's pressed.
* 1 Button set to Midi Note # 6 (channel 1, sending Velocity of 0 every time it's pressed.

This idea can be redone in so many ways. Maybe using returns. Maybe duplicate ALL the effects for another track, and create a CHANNEL selector!

Hope you enjoy,

ben blue
my favorites at the moment: MASSIVE. FM8. LIVE 6. Bome's Pro. KORE.

Patch

Post by Patch » Sun Nov 26, 2006 2:21 pm

Good work, ben_blue!!! This is something I have mean meaning to look into for a while - I think you may have saved me a lot of research time.

Thanks for the files!

RePeter

Post by RePeter » Mon Nov 27, 2006 5:07 pm

I tired this the other day, but found a slight glitch occured each time i turned some effects on (mainly racks and third party fx).

The tried making each effect into a rack and making a wet/dry switch, but this used too my processors (even though i didnt think ableotns fx used processor unless they were actually active).

still searching for the best way, will give yours a try... although i think i need more ram first.
MBP 2.4 & a shit load of Faderfoxes!

RePeter

Post by RePeter » Mon Nov 27, 2006 5:09 pm

the other thing which i found really helpfull, was the lit pads on the korg mircrokontrol, so you can tell whats on at a glance.
MBP 2.4 & a shit load of Faderfoxes!

ben_blue

Post by ben_blue » Wed Nov 29, 2006 5:11 am

repeter -

as far as the lit pads, thats definitely nice, though in my example above, only one effect is ever on at a time, and you'll know which one is on because you just hit the dedicated button to turn it on!

of course this could be modified to have many FX on. But now, if you turn any 1 effect on, it will turn the others off at the same time.

The Phat Conductor

Post by The Phat Conductor » Wed Nov 29, 2006 7:41 am

very nice!

much respect for sharing too. that really is amazing.

respect!
ill gates aka the phat conductor
producer, performer + ableton/music teacher

http://www.illgates.com

ben_blue

Post by ben_blue » Wed Nov 29, 2006 9:01 am

thanks man.

BinaryB

Post by BinaryB » Sun Aug 19, 2007 12:49 am

The link to this is dead ? and benblue.com is diverted to myspace ?
Live8 & Serato
Download NYE'08 DJset

Spaiz

Post by Spaiz » Sun Aug 19, 2007 7:58 am

Link doesn't work :( Someone please upload this template to another place. Thanks in advance!
Logler - Free Game Downloads. Home of Casual Games Global Top 10

dCross

Post by dCross » Sun Aug 19, 2007 5:04 pm

If you're on Live 6, much of the can be accomplished without 3rd party software using an Effects Rack and the Chain Selector.
David Cross
Public Media Coordinator
Ableton Inc. (NYC)

cross@ableton.com

kyleweb

Post by kyleweb » Mon Aug 20, 2007 9:20 am

only on live 5 :(

does anyone have the file to re-up, have been wanting something like this for a while now as my midi controller has limited buttons/knobs.

octatone

Post by octatone » Mon Aug 20, 2007 5:07 pm

dCross wrote:If you're on Live 6, much of the can be accomplished without 3rd party software using an Effects Rack and the Chain Selector.
exactly. what the OP is trying to do with third party apps can be done very simply using racks and the chain selector. everyone should take five minutes out of their day today and read up on the chain selector and save yourself a huge flippin' headache.

emankayker

Re: TEMPLATE! DJ FX selector like a Pioneer DJM!

Post by emankayker » Fri May 03, 2024 9:35 am

Hi all,
This is trying to resurrect a 15yo thread... maybe there are better ways to do it now? But has anybody has a template for that pioneer filter?

Tarekith

Re: TEMPLATE! DJ FX selector like a Pioneer DJM!

Post by Tarekith » Fri May 03, 2024 2:18 pm

I have one I created years ago for this pack, it's called Twister Filter:

https://tarekith.com/assets/TarekithDJEFXv9.zip