Transient not playing correctly on first "go around" then fine afterwards

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
C.D.

Transient not playing correctly on first "go around" then fine afterwards

Post by C.D. » Wed May 01, 2024 8:18 pm

Has anyone experienced this?

Pull in a 4on4 Techno kick drum loop, 4 measures, doesn't matter the length. Preview it in browser with loop turned on, all sounds fine with every downbeat having the proper sharp attack transient at the beginning.

Pull the loop into arrangement, and now for some reason, the first kick drum sounds like a fade is taking place on the initial transient while the subsequent hits are fine. Loop it, and upon it looping, the artifact is gone and now the initial transient of the first kick drum plays fine, until it gets to the end of the set loop in arrangement (in my case it was set at 16), so on the 16th measure, it loops back to 1, and then the artifact takes place again, with the inital transient missing on that first kick drum, only on the first iteration of the loop, while the subsequent ones until the end of the 16th measure sound fine.

Pull the loop into the arrangment, but don't loop the loop this time, instead, place the loop on the 1 same as before, but this time, give it a hit or two of space in the arrangement and then place the loop again, do this three of four times - now the artifact happens each and every time the loop begins, because (I'm assuming) now there's a space in between each loop.

This all happens with or without the 'fade in' option turned on/off in the preferences - happens warped in all of the various modes, unwarped, you name it - it happens no matter what...

The only way I can get around this artifact is to ignore the first hit in the loop, place a perfect warp marker on the 2nd hit in the loop, cut that 2nd hit and make it the 1st hit... then, the loop plays perfectly each and every time.

This artifact/bug has been happening randomly on just about any sample I play - sometimes it's there and sometimes it's not. I haven't noticed it with anything other than percussive related loops, especially kick drum related... perhaps it's happened on others and I just didn't notice?... At this point, I'm wondering if it has something to do with the quality of the sample, but if that was the case - then why is there zero issue when simply playing it looped in the preview mode (before placing it in the arrangement) I wonder.

I've been experiencing something similar to this for years off and on since using 3.04... now I'm on 11.3.13 and it's still happening. I've read about a fade bug being in Live's code since its inception... is this related to that?

Does anyone have any insight? Thank you kindly. Fyi, I'm still waiting on support to respond to this.

Thank you,

Neural Tech Music
two oscillators are better than one

Angstrom

Re: Transient not playing correctly on first "go around" then fine afterwards

Post by Angstrom » Wed May 01, 2024 10:02 pm

Try this
Go to preferences, tab to Record Warp Launch.
Under "Warp/fades" make sure "Create Fades on Clip edges" is off.

now try dragging a loop in and see if it behaves different.

C.D.

Re: Transient not playing correctly on first "go around" then fine afterwards

Post by C.D. » Fri May 03, 2024 4:34 pm

You didn't even read my post... thanks anyway.
two oscillators are better than one