Ableton 12.0.0 UNDO not working

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
Gral

Ableton 12.0.0 UNDO not working

Post by Gral » Mon Apr 29, 2024 8:12 am

Hello,

in my current project I have noticed that the UNDO function does not work. Regardless of whether I use CTrl-Z or the menu. No matter what I do, the menu always shows the same text: Cutoff Frequency changed (or something similar, I don't have Ableton open right now).

Is this known or is it just me?

System:

Windows 10
Ableton 12.0.0

S4racen

Re: Ableton 12.0.0 UNDO not working

Post by S4racen » Mon Apr 29, 2024 8:49 am

Do yourself a favour and search the forum first, this is covered many times...

Cheers
D

Gral

Post by Gral » Mon Apr 29, 2024 11:36 am

Hmm, searching for UNDO gives me 3955 results. A lot of them are M4L related.

Searching for L12 UNDO gives me 1 match which is not related to my problem.

Searching for Ableton UNDO gives me 1120 matches. The first 20 too are not related to my problem. I didn't want to look any further.

What now? Do you have an answer to the UNDO problem with L12?

S4racen

Post by S4racen » Mon Apr 29, 2024 12:26 pm

Undo is the same regardless of the issue, something is creating extra steps that are being recorded.

Whether it's MaxforLive a VST or automation, the only solution is to work logically through and deduce the culprit.

Cheers
D

Gral

Post by Gral » Mon Apr 29, 2024 1:07 pm

Wow, that's the solution.

I'm sorry, but an UNDO function in a software program has to work, regardless what plugins are in use. No ifs, ands or buts. It can't be that the user now has to disasemble a whole project in search of errors to find out why a built in function doesn't work..

The UNDO function in L12 does not work here, even with DAW specific functions. The Ableton development team has to fix this, not the user.

BTW, I did not have this problem in L11. Never.

DALAITOM

Post by DALAITOM » Mon Apr 29, 2024 2:01 pm

If you have a midi keyboard hooked up, you might have one of the knobs or sliders positioned to where it is always sending data. If so, try unhooking the keyboard and see if that works. If it does, find out which knob or slider is sending the data to Ableton and zero it out.

[jur]
Site Admin

Post by [jur] » Mon Apr 29, 2024 9:20 pm

DALAITOM wrote:
Mon Apr 29, 2024 2:01 pm
If you have a midi keyboard hooked up, you might have one of the knobs or sliders positioned to where it is always sending data. If so, try unhooking the keyboard and see if that works. If it does, find out which knob or slider is sending the data to Ableton and zero it out.
This; or a VST (NI plugins are often involved); or a M4L device.
I.E this is not Live not working correctly, hence S4racen saying you will have to go through step by step in order to find the culprit.
Ableton Forum Moderator

Gral

Post by Gral » Thu May 02, 2024 1:20 pm

I'm sorry, I actually assumed that Ableton's UNDO function only applies to Ableton itself and that each plugin has its own UNDO so that they work independently of each other.

Although some of my plugins come with their own UNDO, Ableton's UNDO is apparently overriding.

I found the culprit that made my UNDO in Ableton unusable. It was one of 3 instances of Korg's Opsix. The cutoff function must have gone crazy and caused this error. After removing the plugin and setting a new instance, the error disappeared and Ableton's UNDO is working again.

Sorry again for this misunderstanding.

Tarekith

Post by Tarekith » Thu May 02, 2024 2:15 pm

Thanks for letting us know how you resolved it.

Gral

Post by Gral » Thu May 02, 2024 6:48 pm

Well, it gets even better. My real problem with the UNDO function was or is as follows:

The Opsix from Korg has, among other things, a so-called MOTION step sequencer. It has 6 tracks. These can be used to assign a value per step to certain parameters. This sequencer can be operated in "Free Running" mode, i.e. it is not synchronized but runs freely (even if nothing is being played and the project is paused).

I use this sequencer in a project

a) to set the cutoff frequency
b) to set the level of one of the 6 oscillators

The problem with this is that the DAW now thinks that these values have been adjusted manually for each step and notes this in the history file. I use 16 steps here that run freely, meaning they are not triggered.

As each step is noted in the history file as a "manually" changed value, the UNDO function only sees these two values and logically only offers me these values, as other values immediately move down the list.

As there are 12 - 16 values per second, the history file should be quite large by now. I read somewhere that an infinite UNDO is possible. This means that my SSD is getting fuller and fuller just because of this history file. That would of course be a problem.

Can anyone tell me where this history file is stored and whether it can be deleted without problems? IMHO it would have to be stored somewhere on a project basis, wouldn't it?

hellnegative_

Post by hellnegative_ » Thu May 02, 2024 7:29 pm

I’ve had this same issue. The same projects were working fine in 11, but undo is broken in 12 for everything except delete tracks/clips.