[Maybe Bug?] Live not allowing plugin callback

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
Wiznat

[Maybe Bug?] Live not allowing plugin callback

Post by Wiznat » Sun Apr 28, 2024 8:41 pm

Hey yall,

I'm developing a (windows) VST right now that does some audio loop back capture from another process, and puts it into the plugin buffer.
It works perfectly fine in every daw EXCEPT Ableton ... I have tested it in 10 and 11, I do not currently have 12

Note: This is specifically some windows api code

My worry is that Ableton somehow with the way it handles plugins is not allowing the loopback to happen and this is out my hands.
Essentially the code creates a loopback client, and then we receive callbacks from the process when the next sample is ready. This is in a multithread setup.

All of the HRESULTS for initializing return OK, the client seems to set up normally, i'm just are not getting any callbacks (the important one being onSampleReady)

The setup is from this on this Windows Example (my code is virtually the same in the client and callback setup)
https://github.com/microsoft/Windows-cl ... apture.cpp

My hypothesis is that the bug is in the multithreading and for some reason ableton is blocking this thread or something.
Hoping some Ableton devs might know the answer to this. Would be great if theres a simple solution. Otherwise I'm gonna have to build some like background program just for ableton users ... smh