Push 3 Standalone owners: Happy?

Discuss Push with other users.
whatisnotrue

Re: Push 3 Standalone owners: Happy?

Post by whatisnotrue » Sat Jul 29, 2023 4:46 pm

Having had mine for a little over a week.... I love it, but it's buggy. There is a massive amount of potential here and i'm patient enough to stick it out. Even in it's current state it (in imo) blows my Octatrack out of the water for creating song sketches and ideas. I just hope they get things ironed out quickly as i'm sure there are plenty of folks who are more serious musicians than myself who bought this in hopes of it being a reliable hub for their live setup. I'd say if you are planning to buy this to gig with I would be kinda hesitant, personally. Other than that I am very happy I got mine.

dcjams

Post by dcjams » Sat Jul 29, 2023 5:13 pm

Well in the second 30 minutes of ownership the volume button failed on mine so I’m not as happy as I was during the first 30 minutes of ownership 😆.

I laugh because the alternative is tears.

I’ll not mention that the touch strip failed on my Push 2 a month ago and that the replacement’s touch strip doesn’t work either.

I’m trying really hard to put it down to bad luck but …

Both are within warranty so they’ll be sorted out but it’s inconvenient and disappointing to say the least.

J-Fly

Post by J-Fly » Sun Jul 30, 2023 12:52 am

I currently own a MPC X and formally owned an Akai Force. I’m very impressed with the build. It’s a new workflow that I have yet to figure out (any suggestions are greatly appreciated). I got the Akai Force as soon as it released so I’m accustomed to having a standalone device with no legit song mode. What excites me is something the Push 3 can do but Akai Force only promised and half delivered on……….warping!

funkazoid

Post by funkazoid » Sun Jul 30, 2023 10:30 am

I guess part of being happy with push standalone is a function of expectations.

Been using push1 and push2 from release, the standalone 3 version is what I expected, all the functions I had before on push2 but standalone. MPE is great, I love the pads, way better compared to push2.

Using this now very intensely I do believe Ableton needs to rethink what standalone means in terms of workflow. It does what push2 did however with push2 you can go to your laptop to do things you can’t do on the controller. To name a few; you can’t create a rack, no envelopes, no follow actions, no copy paste notes in clip edit, no copy paste and reordering scenes, no reordering tracks.

So yes happy, does what I expected, but standalone is more than all capabilities of the controller.

Machinesworking

Post by Machinesworking » Sun Jul 30, 2023 5:46 pm

funkazoid wrote:
Sun Jul 30, 2023 10:30 am
but standalone is more than all capabilities of the controller.
well yeah, it should be anyway, there's no logical reason why Push 3 should be worse than Maschine or the MPC in terms of a standalone DAW. Ableton are by the more capable of the three companies.

All of you saying owning Push 1 and 2 makes it somehow OK it's only a control surface level of capability are conceding by default how untrue that is, because you can always go to the computer which always needs to be hooked up. Yet the whole point of standalone should be to only rarely need the computer, this thing is basically a sketch device without the computer. It's just a frustrating level of apologetics for something that IMO clearly was released before it's actually ready.

funkazoid

Post by funkazoid » Sun Jul 30, 2023 8:06 pm

Well, push 3 is positioned as an Instrument allowing you to play Ableton live, create music and connect back to live.

When you say should, in my view that is a projection of expectations. The simple truth is that push 3 is released with the functions as they are today and very consistent with the previous two hardware versions. We don’t know if and how it will evolve.

If that satisfies your needs is a different question, same if that represents value for you. For some not, for me it does.

The MPC and Maschine plus are very different platforms. The MPC is a full production platform and is positioned as such. Had it for a while but never really glued with it. It’s a big fellow and mpc live is a lot of menu diving imo, but a lot of people really really like it. Maschine plus is a very nice device but hits max cpu as soon as you start looking at it, sampling is not really easy and controlling the synths is limited to the native instruments macros. That is a personal view, but what I’m trying to say is that both these platforms have their own stengths and weaknesses.
Last edited by funkazoid on Sun Jul 30, 2023 9:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Audivit

Post by Audivit » Sun Jul 30, 2023 9:13 pm

dcjams wrote:
Sat Jul 29, 2023 5:13 pm
Well in the second 30 minutes of ownership the volume button failed on mine so I’m not as happy as I was during the first 30 minutes of ownership 😆.

Let me just say that I'm sorry for you, but from my point of view you did everything you could do in order to attract the bad luck like a magnet.

You praised the product weeks before owning it, and imposed your overly-optimistic and unrealistic opinion while minimising negative opinions coming from actual owners of the product.

So I wouldn't be surprised if Morgan Freeman messed with your Push 3 for that very reason.

drez

Post by drez » Sun Jul 30, 2023 9:40 pm

dcjams wrote:

I’ll not mention that the touch strip failed on my Push 2 a month ago and that the replacement’s touch strip doesn’t work either.

Both are within warranty so they’ll be sorted out but it’s inconvenient and disappointing to say the least.
What is the specific failure?
http://www.soundcloud.com/dreznicek
MacBook M1 Pro Max, 64Gig RAM, 4TB internal SSD, Live 11, Push1/2/3, Reason, VST O'Plenty

dcjams

Post by dcjams » Sun Jul 30, 2023 11:44 pm

drez wrote:
Sun Jul 30, 2023 9:40 pm
dcjams wrote:

On my Push 2 replacement the touchstrip is dead. On the unit that was replaced the touchstrip was intermittent. So the replacement is actually worse!

On my Push 3 standalone you have to push the volume knob very hard to get it to switch between main, headphone and cue output levels, and even then it’ll often not register at all.

dcjams

Post by dcjams » Sun Jul 30, 2023 11:46 pm

Audivit wrote:
Sun Jul 30, 2023 9:13 pm
dcjams wrote:

Let me just say that I'm sorry for you, but from my point of view you did everything you could do in order to attract the bad luck like a magnet.

You praised the product weeks before owning it, and imposed your overly-optimistic and unrealistic opinion while minimising negative opinions coming from actual owners of the product.

So I wouldn't be surprised if Morgan Freeman messed with your Push 3 for that very reason.
What spiteful immature comments.

[jur]
Site Admin

Post by [jur] » Mon Jul 31, 2023 12:28 am

Hey all,
Please keep it civil, it's better for everyone :wink:
thx
the mods
Ableton Forum Moderator

drez

Post by drez » Mon Jul 31, 2023 12:57 am

dcjams wrote:
Sun Jul 30, 2023 11:44 pm
drez wrote:
dcjams wrote:

On my Push 2 replacement the touchstrip is dead. On the unit that was replaced the touchstrip was intermittent. So the replacement is actually worse!

On my Push 3 standalone you have to push the volume knob very hard to get it to switch between main, headphone and cue output levels, and even then it’ll often not register at all.
I’ll bet this would fix it. Easy to give it a try…

viewtopic.php?p=1813686&hilit=Sandpaper#p1813686
http://www.soundcloud.com/dreznicek
MacBook M1 Pro Max, 64Gig RAM, 4TB internal SSD, Live 11, Push1/2/3, Reason, VST O'Plenty

dcjams

Post by dcjams » Mon Jul 31, 2023 8:10 am

drez wrote:
Mon Jul 31, 2023 12:57 am
dcjams wrote:
Sun Jul 30, 2023 11:44 pm
drez wrote:

I’ll bet this would fix it. Easy to give it a try…

viewtopic.php?p=1813686&hilit=Sandpaper#p1813686
Ah great, thanks. That makes sense. I will try.

I didn't think to search the forum as I wasn't really that bothered. Mechanical components fail, which is hardly Ableton's fault as they don't manufacture them, and it has a 3 year warranty so worst case scenario was the inconvenience of waiting for a swap for a few days.

The rest of it is utterly flawless - my touch strip is super responsive and not jittery, there's no crosstalk on my pads, my buttons are sitting flush against the front panel etc - and the object overall is beautifully made. The build quality far exceeds Push 2, imho.

It's an awesome thing, I love it.

EDIT: Just tried and you're right (0 fails from 250 presses). Amazing! That's good to know there isn't a hardware fault. When a device has one fault I'm always suspicious it has others.

In. Your. Face. Morgan Freeman :lol:

I also tried swapping the tempo and volume caps and the problem then occurs on the tempo/swing pot. That's great news. Why? Because it means it's the button cap (a cheap lump of plastic) that's out of tolerance not the height or topography of the front panel and not the amount by which the pot shafts extrude from the enclosure.

I won't start sandpapering anything I will politely ask Ableton for a handful of replacement caps to try and suggest they give their manufacturing partners on plastic bits a slap on the wrist.

Audivit

Post by Audivit » Mon Jul 31, 2023 9:06 am

dcjams wrote:
Mon Jul 31, 2023 8:10 am
I won't start sandpapering anything I will politely ask Ableton for a handful of replacement caps to try and suggest they give their manufacturing partners on plastic bits a slap on the wrist.
If that's the culprit of the issue, which makes sense, then you could try to put a folded little piece of paper inside the plastic knob D-shaft hole, that would do enough to raise the knob without having to use sandpaper and you can easily remove the paper with the help of a pin if necessary.

dcjams

Post by dcjams » Mon Jul 31, 2023 9:28 am

Audivit wrote:
Mon Jul 31, 2023 9:06 am
dcjams wrote:
Mon Jul 31, 2023 8:10 am
If that's the culprit of the issue, which makes sense, then you could try to put a folded little piece of paper inside the plastic knob D-shaft hole, that would do enough to raise the knob without having to use sandpaper and you can easily remove the paper with the help of a pin if necessary.
For sure, thanks for the suggestion.