midi assignability?

Discuss anything related to audio or music production.
bravedog

midi assignability?

Post by bravedog » Sun Jul 30, 2023 4:49 pm

I've noticed in Ableton midi assign and automation recording seem generally impossible for pugins' drop-down menus - presets, wavetable options, etc. My midi understanding is limited but I'm curious and wonder if someone knowledgeable might comment?

Of course this is dependent on the apps, not on Ableton, but I wonder if there are possible workarounds if app developers were motivated enough? For instance, in hardware modulars, the softsynth equivalent of dropdown menus are generally handled with rotater knobs. Couldn't a software rotater knob be programmed next to the presets which could scroll through them, and thus the knob and preset choice be midi-assignable? I understand this would be a poor substitution for a dropdown list which allows inspection of many options at a time and quick movement up and down the list, but coudln't the 2 navigation methods in a design coexist? If so, this seemingly could apply to all dropdown lists? Or are there theoretical reasons some parameters just cannot be midi-assignable? Thx