Hip-hip/trap producers

Share what you’d like to see added to Ableton Live.
Alan1300

Hip-hip/trap producers

Post by Alan1300 » Tue Dec 27, 2022 9:00 am

Does ableton care about its hip-hop music makers , we need the out knob feature like the one in fl studio fl studio , us urban producer make bass heavy music and we need the ability manipulate our 808s like how producers in logic and fl studio can

mr.adl

Re: Hip-hip/trap producers

Post by mr.adl » Tue Dec 27, 2022 1:37 pm

You can do that by using the Simpler device for your 808s.
You even have 2 options:

1:
Set it to one-shot, dial back the "fade out" knob and drag the little triangle on the right from the displayed wave form until the 808 sound shorter.

2:
Set Simpler to "Classic mode" and play around with the Decay, Sustain and Release knobs.

jlgrimes

Post by jlgrimes » Wed Dec 28, 2022 2:51 pm

Alan1300 wrote:
Tue Dec 27, 2022 9:00 am
Does ableton care about its hip-hop music makers , we need the out knob feature like the one in fl studio fl studio , us urban producer make bass heavy music and we need the ability manipulate our 808s like how producers in logic and fl studio can
Not exactly sure on what you mean with a "one-knob" feature but I'm aware that FL Studio has plenty of tricks up its sleeve in terms of piano Roll stuff, Ableton is kind of behind in its Piano Roll in terms of FL (But I'm guessing that isn't what you are referring to), But with like the exception of Gross Beat, I think Ableton Suite from an effect and Rack point is at least up to par with FL Studio (and probably a good bit beyond it), Alot of Ableton's effects though are kind of easy to miss as everything is kind of plain Jane looking (and sometimes are given "stupid" names). The way Ableton's Audio/Instrument Effect Racks works though kind of make Ableton more "one-knobish" than FL Studio (or at least that was my impression when trying to use FL Studio as I was totally foreign to FL's effects and synths, but I do know Gross Beat can do some cool stuff that I think would be hard to pull off in Ableton without using Cable Guys Shaper Box, but just about any other effect, Ableton kind of does but probably just does in a "quirky or not obvious" way you aren't used to), as Ableton's Instrument and Effect Racks can do plenty of weird cool stuff (but it all depends on what you are trying to do).

That said though with Ableton with 808 manipulation, it pays to learn the piano roll (in particular MPE mode to use with Simpler and/or Wavetable 808s to program glides), it also helps to have a good controller like Push 2 with Ableton where you can more easily visualize Ableton's effect knobs which make them feel more like analog devices, and makes Ableton's Push step sequencer come alive. Also learning Ableton's effects like Saturator really helps with phattening 808s (or just almost any drum in general). Saturator is probably almost what I would consider a one knob effect (well two knobs) just increasing the drive while turning down output knob (this could even be turned into a one knob effect using an Instrument Rack. And is probably already on some of Ableton's built in drum presets).

That said Ableton can definitely be "quirky" but it can also be rewarding, as I come across alot of things just trying stuff out I never tried before and then find out Ableton has alot of cool things people use that I tended to overlook. I think my main joy with Ableton though is the sequencer itself (Session Mode then Arrange Mode is great for trying out patterns in real-time. Ableton's pattern (Session/Scene) mode works completely different than FL Studio's and I prefer Ableton's way). I also like it's integration with its own Instruments namely Drum Racks and Instrument Racks. FL's channel mode for Wave files is pretty cool too though but I'm more used to Ableton as it seem more setup like a traditional sampler.

mr.adl

Post by mr.adl » Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:27 pm

jlgrimes wrote:
Wed Dec 28, 2022 2:51 pm
Alan1300 wrote:
Not exactly sure on what you mean with a "one-knob" feature but I'm aware that FL Studio has plenty of tricks up its sleeve in terms of piano Roll stuff, Ableton is kind of behind in its Piano Roll in terms of FL (But I'm guessing that isn't what you are referring to), But with like the exception of Gross Beat, I think Ableton Suite from an effect and Rack point is at least up to par with FL Studio (and probably a good bit beyond it), Alot of Ableton's effects though are kind of easy to miss as everything is kind of plain Jane looking (and sometimes are given "stupid" names). The way Ableton's Audio/Instrument Effect Racks works though kind of make Ableton more "one-knobish" than FL Studio (or at least that was my impression when trying to use FL Studio as I was totally foreign to FL's effects and synths, but I do know Gross Beat can do some cool stuff that I think would be hard to pull off in Ableton without using Cable Guys Shaper Box, but just about any other effect, Ableton kind of does but probably just does in a "quirky or not obvious" way you aren't used to), as Ableton's Instrument and Effect Racks can do plenty of weird cool stuff (but it all depends on what you are trying to do).

That said though with Ableton with 808 manipulation, it pays to learn the piano roll (in particular MPE mode to use with Simpler and/or Wavetable 808s to program glides), it also helps to have a good controller like Push 2 with Ableton where you can more easily visualize Ableton's effect knobs which make them feel more like analog devices, and makes Ableton's Push step sequencer come alive. Also learning Ableton's effects like Saturator really helps with phattening 808s (or just almost any drum in general). Saturator is probably almost what I would consider a one knob effect (well two knobs) just increasing the drive while turning down output knob (this could even be turned into a one knob effect using an Instrument Rack. And is probably already on some of Ableton's built in drum presets).

That said Ableton can definitely be "quirky" but it can also be rewarding, as I come across alot of things just trying stuff out I never tried before and then find out Ableton has alot of cool things people use that I tended to overlook. I think my main joy with Ableton though is the sequencer itself (Session Mode then Arrange Mode is great for trying out patterns in real-time. Ableton's pattern (Session/Scene) mode works completely different than FL Studio's and I prefer Ableton's way). I also like it's integration with its own Instruments namely Drum Racks and Instrument Racks. FL's channel mode for Wave files is pretty cool too though but I'm more used to Ableton as it seem more setup like a traditional sampler.
Read carefully, he asked about the "OUT-knob feature (not ONE-knob) , which is a certain knob in FL´s sample player. It´s a trim knob, to shorten the WAV file and is often used to make 808´s tighter.

jlgrimes

Post by jlgrimes » Thu Dec 29, 2022 5:11 pm

mr.adl wrote:
Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:27 pm
jlgrimes wrote:
Wed Dec 28, 2022 2:51 pm
Alan1300 wrote:

Read carefully, he asked about the "OUT-knob feature (not ONE-knob) , which is a certain knob in FL´s sample player. It´s a trim knob, to shorten the WAV file and is often used to make 808´s tighter.
My mistake. If I saw an "out" knob I would just think it is something to deal with output level (never heard that term before used for Sample Trim. But Ableton Simpler does have the fade out knob or the ADSR in Classic mode.