Any real producers here. Or are you all just MP3 Dj's

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
jbible

Post by jbible » Thu Oct 06, 2005 12:56 pm

hoffman2k wrote: Liveclips are making life a bit easy though.
One sample can become a bunch of loops, presets and part of a kit :wink:
God yes. I love that I can record to audio from a vst synth when I think I am done with it...but then tuck it away as a live clip to bring back into the set later if I want to make some variation or corrections. Or use it as a starting point for another track. Live clips along made the upgrade to 5 worth it.

Re: Presets... I must say sometimes I find a preset close to what I want then tweak it to exactly what I want from there. Sometimes I start from scratch. I must say though some of those Covert operator patches are wonderfull.
:wink:
experimedia.net - label and mailorder - 15% OFF THROUGH FEB 14TH
jeremybible.com | jeremy bible & jason henry

netchaiev

Post by netchaiev » Thu Oct 06, 2005 1:08 pm

i don't make/produce music, I like to stare at the Live GUI...forever and ever!!
:twisted:
MBP 2011/i7/10.8/Live 8 Suite/M4L+Launchpad+TF+KorgNano.
http://soundcloud.com/netchaiev
http://www.vimeo.com/user408737

elemental

Post by elemental » Thu Oct 06, 2005 1:33 pm

jbible wrote:
God yes. I love that I can record to audio from a vst synth when I think I am done with it...but then tuck it away as a live clip to bring back into the set later if I want to make some variation or corrections. Or use it as a starting point for another track. Live clips along made the upgrade to 5 worth it.
Am I missing something here!? What and how do u use Live Clips???

hoffman2k

Post by hoffman2k » Thu Oct 06, 2005 1:55 pm

elemental wrote:
jbible wrote:
Am I missing something here!? What and how do u use Live Clips???
Liveclips can be used to make variations of a sample. Without actually taking in the place of sample. PLUS you get the chance to tweak the clip and prelisten it in the browser.

They can be made from samples or with virtual instruments.
They make your sample library, modular.

jbible

Post by jbible » Thu Oct 06, 2005 2:34 pm

elemental wrote:Am I missing something here!? What and how do u use Live Clips???
Ah you havent discovered this feature yet?

Do this. Make a MIDI channel with a VST synth and some effects. Make a midi clip and program out a sequence in the piano roll.

Now drag the midi clip into your browser/library. This will essentially save a copy of everything what was loaded into that individual track.

Now open any set...a new one, old one, whatever. Now first click the liveclip in your browser and you can hear what it sounds like (the sequence, vsti patch, and effects.

Now double click it or drag it into your set. This will create a new channel with the sequence, synth, and effects and all their settings.

Therefore you can save tons of data in small files. You can even do it with audio clips that have envelope automation, and effects on the channel.

It also compensates for not being able to create grouped devices using third party plugins. You can simply save your device group as a LiveClip and call it up in any set, anytime.

One of the greatest things about Ableton now IMO.

Mr. Computer Dude

Post by Mr. Computer Dude » Thu Oct 06, 2005 2:38 pm

forge

Post by forge » Thu Oct 06, 2005 3:08 pm

Mr. Computer Dude wrote:Image
well she's rather in luck, she'll get alot of attention with an arse like that.

elemental

Post by elemental » Thu Oct 06, 2005 3:33 pm

jbible wrote:
elemental wrote:Am I missing something here!? What and how do u use Live Clips???
Ah you havent discovered this feature yet?

Do this. Make a MIDI channel with a VST synth and some effects. Make a midi clip and program out a sequence in the piano roll.

Now drag the midi clip into your browser/library. This will essentially save a copy of everything what was loaded into that individual track.

Now open any set...a new one, old one, whatever. Now first click the liveclip in your browser and you can hear what it sounds like (the sequence, vsti patch, and effects.

Now double click it or drag it into your set. This will create a new channel with the sequence, synth, and effects and all their settings.

Therefore you can save tons of data in small files. You can even do it with audio clips that have envelope automation, and effects on the channel.

It also compensates for not being able to create grouped devices using third party plugins. You can simply save your device group as a LiveClip and call it up in any set, anytime.

One of the greatest things about Ableton now IMO.
Cant believe i missed that!! Cheers

kennerb

Post by kennerb » Thu Oct 06, 2005 4:34 pm

I believe John Gordon is in fact a producer.

I myself don't see a need for any creativity once I got a loop of Funky drummer going on. I can mix that with any song I want and call it a dum and bass mash up! :wink:
3ghz Pentium 4 (Prescott), XP Sp2, 1gig Ram, Dual Monitor with Matrox Millenium, MOTU Traveler, Event EZ8 Adat card. Also IBM THinkpad t40 1.6 1 gig ram

ben_blue

Post by ben_blue » Thu Oct 06, 2005 4:37 pm

only those who place limits on themselves or thier methods, will ever hit any limits.

do whatever it is you need to do to get what it is you desire as a result.

in the process, myself, i will never say "i dont do this" or "i dont use that" - becuase, later, i may need to use this or that.

as far as the initial post - i find myself using all of those techniques, and for quite some time now. and any variation i see fit.

:D
bb
my favorites at the moment: MASSIVE. FM8. LIVE 6. Bome's Pro. KORE.

Moody

Post by Moody » Thu Oct 06, 2005 7:15 pm

Well, we know who is not reading the manuel. If you take a second and run through it you will find that Live is not for DJing or Producing at all. It is actually a tool for Transcendental Magick that helps one traverse new levels of consciousness. Have Fun!
Ableton’s engineers are hard
at work developing code that will allow our software to predict the future, but we don’t
anticipate having this available until at least the next major release.

jbible

Post by jbible » Thu Oct 06, 2005 7:21 pm

I thought it was a GUI for alchemy.
experimedia.net - label and mailorder - 15% OFF THROUGH FEB 14TH
jeremybible.com | jeremy bible & jason henry

djastroboy

Post by djastroboy » Thu Oct 06, 2005 7:26 pm

I believe it's spelled "package".

(see http://www.plainfacedproductions.com/prices.html)

ashley_k

Any real studios here. Or are you all just weekend amateurs

Post by ashley_k » Thu Oct 06, 2005 8:37 pm

Any real studios here. Or are you all just weekend amateurs

http://www.plainfacedproductions.com/prices.html

“*Plain Faced Productions only operates on the weekend”

Don’t mean to be bitchy, but I just can’t help myself sometimes. :twisted:

john gordon

Post by john gordon » Thu Oct 06, 2005 8:49 pm

kennerb wrote:I believe John Gordon is in fact a producer.

I myself don't see a need for any creativity once I got a loop of Funky drummer going on. I can mix that with any song I want and call it a dum and bass mash up! :wink:
this is true.i produce nasty ass smell while im djing mp3s,but nobody can get close to me cause of the smell,thus i keep turning midi knobs and tell people i am creating music on the fly.so far ive been a hit.