Edit MIDI notes - make every note same but keeping velocity?

Share your favorite Ableton Live tips, tricks, and techniques.
samtastic

Edit MIDI notes - make every note same but keeping velocity?

Post by samtastic » Thu Oct 21, 2010 3:35 am

hey all,
sorry for abstract thread title. Wanted to call it:

How to edit MIDI notes so that every note is the same, but preserve the timing and velocity.

How can I do this in Live?

I've got a MIDI file (created in Logic) that plays up an down a huge scale of notes, at different velocities. I want to keep the varying velocities in-tact, but have it output only one MIDI note (for example, C2).

Why? Im using Live's kits to replace some recorded drums in a recording session. So I've managed to get Logic to map out the timing and velocity of the drum track, but now the MDI notes are all over the place.

I thought that Ableton's MIDI Scale effect would do the job (by making it a scale of a single note). But I haven't got it working like that yet.

Any other ideas?

samtastic

Re: Edit MIDI notes - make every note same but keeping velocity?

Post by samtastic » Thu Oct 21, 2010 4:19 am

worked out a way to do it using two instances of the Pitch Device.Image

The entire process can be done in Logic (see: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=94g8_JioLvI ), but mine keeps crashing during the transposing stage : (
Last edited by samtastic on Thu Oct 21, 2010 7:44 am, edited 1 time in total.

#1thelark

Post by #1thelark » Thu Oct 21, 2010 4:21 am

You can use two of Lives pitch plugins for that. First one you set to -128 and the second one to whatever you need (you can count from c-2 which is thelowest note IIRC). Velocity should not be affected unless you add the velocity plugin.

cheers

motherbrain5000

Post by motherbrain5000 » Mon Feb 01, 2021 11:08 pm

fantastic find. I've created the most over the top midi racks to accomplish this. So much easier this way.