Simple MIDI CC filter

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
his_ripness

Simple MIDI CC filter

Post by his_ripness » Tue Mar 31, 2020 11:40 am

This seems like the simplest thing and I'm completely stumped how to achieve it.

I've got an instrument rack with a couple of layered instruments, one is a bass, the other a piano.

I want to filter out the MIDI CC of the sustain pedal on the bass, but not the piano, so that the piano notes sustain, but the bass notes don't.

This seems like the most obvious possible thing to do, but I can't see any way to achieve it. Some posts suggest that I would need Max for Live, but it seems insane that I would have to spend $400 just to have this unbelievably basic function. I'm sure I must be overlooking something obvious.

RedSkyRoad

Re: Simple MIDI CC filter

Post by RedSkyRoad » Thu Apr 02, 2020 11:41 am

AMD Ryzen 3900X 12-Core 4GHz // 16GB RAM // M.2 SSD
Ableton [latest stable release]
Windows 10 Pro

TLW

Post by TLW » Sat Apr 04, 2020 6:47 am

The approach of most MIDI filters is to filter out all instances of a particular CC rather than also checking the note number and applying a selective filter based on that. Which is a much simpler task than only filtering out CCs when certain notes are played.

The easiest answer might be to switch off the response to CC64 in whatever synth/sampler is playing the bass notes, if that’s possible. Some instruments allow for that kind of thing, others don’t.

Max4Live is incredibly useful and offers an obvious, if not cheap, solution, but there are MIDI plugins that can filter CC data as can some stand-alone applications that can be put in the MIDI stream before it enters Live.
Live 10 Suite, 2020 27" iMac, 3.6 GHz i9, MacOS Catalina, RME UFX, assorted synths, guitars and stuff.

mooncaine

Post by mooncaine » Sun Apr 05, 2020 7:21 am

think you can use an Instrument Rack's deep settings to do this, but the only way that comes to mind is tedious and involves that "Chain Selector" thingy.

stevans5449

Post by stevans5449 » Mon Apr 06, 2020 1:28 pm

mooncaine wrote:
Sun Apr 05, 2020 7:21 am
think you can use an Instrument Rack's deep settings to do this, but the only way that comes to mind is tedious and involves that "Chain Selector" thingy.
Please could you briefly explain what that way that comes to mind is? I couldn't figure out a way to filter CCs using the chain selector.

pottering

Post by pottering » Mon Apr 06, 2020 6:29 pm

stevans5449 wrote:
Mon Apr 06, 2020 1:28 pm
mooncaine wrote:
Sun Apr 05, 2020 7:21 am
Please could you briefly explain what that way that comes to mind is? I couldn't figure out a way to filter CCs using the chain selector.
Chain Selectors in MIDI Effect Racks and Instrument Racks have a option to filter MIDI CC, in the context menu you get when you right-clicking the Chain Selector.

But Sustain MIDI CC is not per note, it works in the instrument, it is on/off switch in the instrument, can't be filtered or set per note/range on the MIDI side, gotta be a instrument with special functions built for that (never heard of any).

Most practical way is having separate instruments for bass and piano, so they can sustain or not separately.
♥♥♥

mooncaine

Post by mooncaine » Mon Apr 06, 2020 6:37 pm

Sadly, I was mistaken. That is, I guessed wrong. I can't find a way to do it.