Best practices for using Reason Redrum for drum parts

Share your favorite Ableton Live tips, tricks, and techniques.
funkateer

Best practices for using Reason Redrum for drum parts

Post by funkateer » Wed Sep 21, 2005 2:33 am

Is there any way I can create Reason Redrum 'patterns' and associate them with individual clips, so that when the scene changes, the drum pattern does too?

Failing that, what have people found to be effective ways to use Redrum from Live? I can dump the pattern from Redrum into the Reason sequencer, and export the MIDI file, import into Live, etc., but that seems pretty cumbersome. I could work at the MIDI level inside Live, but then I can't take advantage of how easy it is to build beats inside Redrum. Probably other options too.

What have folks found to be the best way to use Redrum from Live?

ben_blue

Post by ben_blue » Wed Sep 21, 2005 1:43 pm

me personally, keepthe midi in reason, rewire the mains plus a few others, for a total of about 8 channels rewired in. eventually mix to audio bits from reason, keep reason file if need to go back and change.
my favorites at the moment: MASSIVE. FM8. LIVE 6. Bome's Pro. KORE.

relcad

Post by relcad » Thu Sep 29, 2005 8:27 pm

i don't have the stuff in front of me so bear with me - but to automate redrum patterns from live clips:

1. set up redrum patterns with reason rewired to live (obvious i know)

2. create a midi track in live - route the "midi to" reason and then select the redrum in the sub list

3. create a new midi clip in the new track (1 looping measure will suffice)

4. go to the clip's envelope editor

5. in the envelope to edit drop down there should be a whole bunch of redrum automation options since you have selected redrum as the track's midi output. Look for "Pattern Select"

6. now when you move the pen or arrow in the envelope box you are selecting which pattern to trigger. Use a staright line to have the pattern repeated while the clip is looping. Note that the values are zero-based so choosing envelope value 0 will trigger redrum pattern A1 1=A2 4=A5 etc

repeat steps 3-6 choosing a different pattern value for each clip and there you have it - the clips trigger their respective patterns.

Hope this helps

funkateer

Case closed !!!

Post by funkateer » Thu Sep 29, 2005 11:17 pm

Bingo! Rewire rules!!! Thanks a million. Clip envelopes for Reason controls. Cool!
relcad wrote:i don't have the stuff in front of me so bear with me - but to automate redrum patterns from live clips:

2. create a midi track in live - route the "midi to" reason and then select the redrum in the sub list

5. in the envelope to edit drop down there should be a whole bunch of redrum automation options since you have selected redrum as the track's midi output. Look for "Pattern Select"

6. now when you move the pen or arrow in the envelope box you are selecting which pattern to trigger. Use a staright line to have the pattern repeated while the clip is looping. Note that the values are zero-based so choosing envelope value 0 will trigger redrum pattern A1 1=A2 4=A5 etc

repeat steps 3-6 choosing a different pattern value for each clip and there

you have it - the clips trigger their respective patterns.

Hope this helps

andydes

Post by andydes » Wed Oct 05, 2005 12:43 pm

Damn, spent about 4 hours over the weekend trying to deceide what sounds I needed to fill 4 redrums with every sound I'd need for a DJ set.
Think I just about had it as well.
Still, this is what I really wated to do. Cheers!

TheAnimal

Post by TheAnimal » Wed Oct 05, 2005 2:57 pm

Brilliant! Thanks, relcad!

andydes

Post by andydes » Thu Oct 06, 2005 9:59 am

Are you sure about this, relcad? I can’t see a pattern select or anything close in the envelope settings. The patch and bank selection in the clip launch options never worked with reason. Maybe it's new to either Reason 3.0 or Live 5? I’m still running Live 4 and Reason 2.5. I suspect the problem is with Reason (or rewire) as I can change programs on my other VSTi’s.
I'll be upgradeing Live soon. And this might be a good enough reason (no pun intended) to upgrade them both.

TheAnimal

Post by TheAnimal » Thu Oct 06, 2005 2:32 pm

The first items in the said menu read:

- pitch bend
- channel pressure
- modulation
- breath
- selected pattern

So far I haven't had time to try it out, but it's probably the fifth you're looking for. (Reason 3 and Live 5 on Mac.)

andydes

Post by andydes » Thu Oct 06, 2005 4:07 pm

Thanks. I'm at work at the moment, but i have a feeling that it just says controller change, or whatever the label is for unassigned controllers.

Still, I'll give it a go. You never know maybe the parameter works even it's not labelled. Yeah, right. Think I'd better upgrade Live (dispite the problems people have been having) Hoping it's this, as I really have no need to upgrade reason.

I'm suprised that the pattern change on launch option doesn't work if you can change halfway through, though.

segue

Post by segue » Fri Oct 07, 2005 8:43 am

relcad wrote:i don't have the stuff in front of me so bear with me - but to automate redrum patterns from live clips:

repeat steps 3-6 choosing a different pattern value for each clip and there you have it - the clips trigger their respective patterns.

Hope this helps
that was your first ever post and a brilliant one :)

Im trying to stop using Reason and get more into using Battery with my MPC as the controller but my god Reason and ReDrum in particular are useful. Small things like the drum sound start and length tweaks, the pitch, the pair of sends and so on... ive had many years on Reason now and its become an unthinking extension of my beat creation so its good to know it can port to Ableton easily.

Certainly a lot easier then in Sonar 2.2XL... it wouldnt even let you rewire in stereo! What a waste of channels!

relcad

Post by relcad » Fri Oct 14, 2005 4:17 pm

just to clarify some questions above:

the value in the envelope drop down is "Selected Pattern"

This does work in reason 2.5 / Live 4.xx (i have a machine i never upgraded)

and thanks for the feedback - i try to help when i can

djadonis206

Post by djadonis206 » Fri Oct 14, 2005 9:50 pm

segue wrote:
Im trying to stop using Reason and get more into using Battery with my MPC as the controller but my god Reason and ReDrum in particular are useful. Small things like the drum sound start and length tweaks, the pitch, the pair of sends and so on... ive had many years on Reason now and its become an unthinking extension of my beat creation so its good to know it can port to Ableton easily.
Impulse is pretty tight - the drum machine, sampler and synth in Ableton can go along way if not all the way

word

ad
Ableton | Elektron

Music

andydes

Post by andydes » Mon Oct 24, 2005 12:48 pm

relcad wrote:just to clarify some questions above:

the value in the envelope drop down is "Selected Pattern"

This does work in reason 2.5 / Live 4.xx (i have a machine i never upgraded)

and thanks for the feedback - i try to help when i can
Sadly, I seemed to be having a case of seeing what I want to see. You were of course talking about pattern changes, whereas I was reading patch changes. Shame really, but a useful tip all the same.

The good news is, I think I've found a way of running a bank of redrums from one midi track (well almost- you'll need several dummy tracks as well, but they can be hidden or moved off screen) I'll post it once I've ironed out everything.