Beta 7! Live 5.0.2b7 is online!

UHE is now closed. For Technical Support from Ableton, please go here: http://www.ableton.com/support
Stefan Haller

Post by Stefan Haller » Mon Sep 26, 2005 8:24 am

astar wrote:I think for this situation we need a modifier so that you can have the option between having the start position affect the play position (like LIVE 4) and having it NOT affect it (like the first release of LIVE 5).
You can set the start marker by alt-clicking (option-clicking) in the clip detail view; this will *not* cause the play position to jump. Please let us know if this is good enough.
Stefan Haller
haller@ableton.com

Stefan Haller

Re: stay the course

Post by Stefan Haller » Mon Sep 26, 2005 8:27 am

KU wrote:I understand how vocal people were in opposition to the L5 Scrub/Clip Position issue, but please STAY THE COURSE in the 5.02 release!!!

Please bring back the original L5 scrubbing procedure!!!!
I'm afraid I don't understand what the problem is. You can still scrub and nudge in the same way as in 5.0, including orange dot and all.

What exactly are you missing?
Stefan Haller
haller@ableton.com

astar

Post by astar » Mon Sep 26, 2005 9:03 am

Stefan Haller wrote:You can set the start marker by alt-clicking (option-clicking) in the clip detail view; this will *not* cause the play position to jump. Please let us know if this is good enough.
YES, but this doesn't apply if you are controlling the start marker with a midi control (which is how I'm using it).

Both play position behaviours have their strengths so if you could have some kind of option in preferences or some kind of modifier to switch between the two scenarios that would be ideal. I realize it might be complicated to implement but I think everyone would be happy if you could pull it off without introducing any serious bugs!

cheers,
much respect for listening to us demanding customers :)
Astar

astar

Post by astar » Mon Sep 26, 2005 9:07 am

ignore this post, duplicate post
Last edited by astar on Mon Sep 26, 2005 2:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Hedroom

Post by Hedroom » Mon Sep 26, 2005 11:25 am

I’ve started to get a very strange bug in beta 7. My set consists of several audio channels for full of clips as well as MIDI channels which send MIDI out to my hardware synths. These are then routed back into audio files in Ableton.

Sometimes (it’s happened twice – once on either side of a reboot – but I’ve only used beta 7 for a couple of hours), when I fire a MIDI clip I will hear a strange “electric” sound and then that MIDI track will be unuseable. It will look like the play button on the clip I fired is stuck but it is not doing anything. I can’t fire any other clips or any stop buttons. Similar to when you freeze a track in fact.

The “electric” sound is v odd. Something I’ve not experienced before. I’m familiar with the usual CPU spike/dropout sound (unfortunately!). This sounds more like electricity jumping between pins on a dodgy power cable. But it is very short lived. In fact I thought it was something to do with electrics at first until I realised that the MIDI track in Ableton had seized up too.

?? Very odd

jbible

Post by jbible » Mon Sep 26, 2005 12:56 pm

I havent found time to test the beta's but I wanted to say that from the sound of it all the improvments will be very much appreciated. Looking forward to working with 5.0.2.

serotoninsteve

Re: stay the course

Post by serotoninsteve » Mon Sep 26, 2005 3:29 pm

Stefan Haller wrote:
KU wrote:I understand how vocal people were in opposition to the L5 Scrub/Clip Position issue, but please STAY THE COURSE in the 5.02 release!!!

Please bring back the original L5 scrubbing procedure!!!!
I'm afraid I don't understand what the problem is. You can still scrub and nudge in the same way as in 5.0, including orange dot and all.

What exactly are you missing?
Hi Stefan,
The point is that alt+clicking snaps the startmarker always to 1/16th, usually when not zoomed in on a whole track not exactly on full bars, that´s a mess.
A 2th fixed snap to full bar option would help a lot.

Thats why in L4 I never used it like you said, but clicked on the startmarkers full bar transport field and dragged the value up and down, so i could jump exactly to my wanted pos, that only for a not running clip in L4 of course but the fastest and most precise way to do it.

Now in L 5.0.1 to beta6 as the transport is midiassignable you can play via midi with the play or loop pos even in the same clip and retrigger in his slot just as needed, without a jump, thats a breeze.

Like you changed it now you need to create a second clip to be able to use you midicontroller.
To create your copy of your clip the only option you have is the mouse or shortcut.
To be able to see your clips content you need to choose it with the mouse.

As you are on the good way to make Live controllable without touching your mouse with the new clip select on midilaunch, a modifier for only selecting it without triggering it in the future and midimappable cliptransport :wink: ,
so this step is surely a way without an issue.

If it´s possible please give us beta6 back, just change the behaviour when moving a warpmarker that the playpos jumps immediately like in L4/L5.0.1 without the red dot and without having to revert everytime.

A modifier for all this would be cool for the people who need it, but until you can implement that give us at least a working version like beta6.

But anyway, thanks for jumping in and asking us.

Greetings
MBP 15,4" 2,53GHz C2D 4Gb late 2008 / Mac OS X.6.2 / Novation Remote 37SL Compact / TriggerFinger / FaderfoxDJ2 / Padkontrol / UC33 / SM Audio TB202 / Audiofire2 / Apogee Duet / Event OPAL's / HD25 /

Chris J

Post by Chris J » Tue Sep 27, 2005 11:06 pm

djsynchro wrote:I did a search on the forum and read all the bugfix reports, but didn't see any of my problems.

I use LIve 5.01
1: Yesterday I used the "Capture and Insert Scene" command in session view. The playing clips were copied to a new scene but several clips had their start markers moved! This is a disaster of course. I am in the middle of production so as a workaround I then proceeded to manually copy clips to make new scenes.
Are you aware of these issues?
They sure were aware of issue 1 as there was a long thread about this, but in the beta forum and the bad news was that this behaviour was made on purpose, but the good news is that it is now fixed, as you should know as you're in the beta7 thread :wink:

Anyway i'm writing to share my joy upon the welcome back behaviour of the start marker, thank you thank you :D
Quad 6600 Intel, AsusP5Q, 2Gb ram, XP sp3, Evolution MK361c & UC33e, Line6 UX8

astar

Post by astar » Tue Sep 27, 2005 11:32 pm

THE more I play with it, the more I like new start marker behaviour!

If we can't have both methods I say keep it in, it's actually more fluid for re-triggering clips as well when you have midi controller buttons moving it to different sections of the clip

cheers

hambone1

Post by hambone1 » Wed Sep 28, 2005 8:49 am

I did a search, but couldn't find this issue.

I fired up my set this morning, and the warp markers were gone! I had to disable and enable warp on the clips to get them back. Fortunately, they were still there, just not displayed.
Last edited by hambone1 on Thu Sep 29, 2005 7:55 am, edited 1 time in total.

Chris J

Post by Chris J » Wed Sep 28, 2005 9:09 am

hambone1 wrote:I did a search, but couldn't find this issue.

I fired up my set this morning, and the warp markers were gone! I had to disable and enabled warp on the clips to get them back. Fortunately, they were still there, just not displayed.
nasty ! 8O
Quad 6600 Intel, AsusP5Q, 2Gb ram, XP sp3, Evolution MK361c & UC33e, Line6 UX8

vandeloow

Post by vandeloow » Wed Sep 28, 2005 9:13 am

yesterday, i record some automations into the arrange with the bassline(1.52) and copy that envelope into the bassline midiclip. but this envelope (cutoff) doesn't work in the midiclip. :?:
.::.::..::.:::.:.vandeloow.net.:.:::.:..::.:::::.::..:
..:..::.:

sungwei

Post by sungwei » Fri Sep 30, 2005 1:39 am

Tried 5.0.2 Beta. Didn't solve my rendering issues. Still plays first section of track then the rest is silence.
Lawrence

Version: Live 5.0.1 / OS: Windows XP Professional / Soundcard: Realteck AC97 Audio / Rewire App: Reason 3.0