Impulse changes the sound of samples. Bug or Feature?

UHE is now closed. For Technical Support from Ableton, please go here: http://www.ableton.com/support
DJRetard

Impulse changes the sound of samples. Bug or Feature?

Post by DJRetard » Thu Sep 22, 2005 2:59 pm

Can someone try this

Create a mid and audio track. Insert an impulse on your midi track and then go to the browser and find a kik drum you like the sound of. Drop it in to an impulse cell and sequence up a little 4/4 one bar kik drum pattern. Now take the very same kik drum from the browser and create the same pattern as what impulse is playing but on an audio track. Make sure warp is off.

Match the levels of both the midi and audio track so that they are the same volume then compare the sound of the two kik drums using the solo buttons (individually of course)

What do you hear?

I hear a VERY SERIOUS drop in energy from the impulse kik drum and its not subtle either. The low bottom is lacking and theres a cold clincial sound to it. of course the same happens with any other sound although you may not notice them as easily. Hi hats become more tinny and lack definition. Ever wonder why mixing different hi hat patterns together is difficult in live?.

It will take you 3 minutes to test this.

if this is confirmed I would really like someone from Ableton to confirm if its a bug or a feature.

:wink:

Poster

Post by Poster » Thu Sep 22, 2005 3:26 pm

had the same experience..
check my post..

http://www.ableton.com/forum/viewtopic. ... highlight=

Matthias

Post by Matthias » Thu Sep 22, 2005 4:03 pm

hi All,

this can be caused by impulse envelope (which can not be disabled), that can fade out a sample and sound different to a sample played in arrangement. this can also be caused by volume differences, for example impulse midi-velocity sensivity. also by the stretching parameters, e.g. Transposition, Stretch, Soft,...

but when setup neutral, impulse should not tread or influence bass/mid/treble different.

I hope this helps a little bit,

all the best,
matthias
Matthias Mayrock
ableton development team
mayrock@ableton.com

DJRetard

Post by DJRetard » Thu Sep 22, 2005 4:09 pm

Matthias

I have tried setting all Impulse parameters to neutral but nothing I do produces the same sound as placing the wav on an audio track

Is there a setting on impulse I should be paying particular attention to?

Matthias

Post by Matthias » Thu Sep 22, 2005 4:47 pm

hi DJRetard,

I tried it with 'A-Kick Gretsch 1 Room A.wav' from Live 5's content and the only change in sound I could recognice, was the fade out, that sounded different to the same sample played in arrangement. this was caused by the impulse's envelope (Decay). If you can recognize more changes in a small set that demonstrates this behavior, I would be pleased, if you can send it to me directly by email.

all the best,
matthias
Matthias Mayrock
ableton development team
mayrock@ableton.com

DJRetard

Post by DJRetard » Thu Sep 22, 2005 4:59 pm

Matthias wrote:hi DJRetard,

I tried it with 'A-Kick Gretsch 1 Room A.wav' from Live 5's content and the only change in sound I could recognice, was the fade out, that sounded different to the same sample played in arrangement. this was caused by the impulse's envelope (Decay). If you can recognize more changes in a small set that demonstrates this behavior, I would be pleased, if you can send it to me directly by email.

all the best,
matthias
Hi Matthias,

yes your correct its the fade button being on when its a wav dropped in to an audio track.

Just did a quick test and alls well. I couldnt hear any difference comparing the audio track vs the simpler sequence.

Thanks for trying it out yourself.

:)

leisuremuffin

Post by leisuremuffin » Thu Sep 22, 2005 6:55 pm

Thats just retarded.

He's talking about the DECAY setting on the impulse.

turning off fade on the audio clip should actually "harden" the attack of the audio clip making the difference that you claim to hear even worse.

.lm.
TimeableFloat ???S?e?n?d?I?n?f?o