Get last modified parameter

Learn about building and using Max for Live devices.
hydrogen

Get last modified parameter

Post by hydrogen » Thu Aug 02, 2018 5:59 pm

I'm looking to see if I can find out what the last moved parameter is.

I have a lot of parameters midi mapped in ableton to my bcr2000.
I'm trying to create a device showing me what parameters I've modified and possibly display their value.

I'd also like to be able to find a parameter via using the plugins VST/AU interface vs using the Ableton interface. Clicking and moving the knob in the vst window would show what device parameter is being modified.

The only way i've been able to get any information out of a parameter is to physically click the parameter in the ableton interface.

Any ideas?

Thanks!

hoffman2k

Re: Get last modified parameter

Post by hoffman2k » Thu Aug 02, 2018 6:16 pm

[live.path live_set view selected_parameter] will show the last selected parameter and only if it has been selected in the Live GUI. You'd need to monitor all parameters on all devices to know if a parameter was adjusted from its own GUI. But that'll only work for the exposed parameters which are limited to 128 total.

hydrogen

Post by hydrogen » Thu Aug 02, 2018 6:41 pm

hoffman2k wrote:[live.path live_set view selected_parameter] will show the last selected parameter and only if it has been selected in the Live GUI. You'd need to monitor all parameters on all devices to know if a parameter was adjusted from its own GUI. But that'll only work for the exposed parameters which are limitesd to 128 total.
Rad thanks!

I'm curious.... is monitoring all the parameters at once on all devices not good? I guess I could try it...

hoffman2k

Post by hoffman2k » Thu Aug 02, 2018 6:55 pm

hydrogen wrote:
hoffman2k wrote:[live.path live_set view selected_parameter] will show the last selected parameter and only if it has been selected in the Live GUI. You'd need to monitor all parameters on all devices to know if a parameter was adjusted from its own GUI. But that'll only work for the exposed parameters which are limitesd to 128 total.
Rad thanks!

I'm curious.... is monitoring all the parameters at once on all devices not good? I guess I could try it...
It kinda depends on how fast it all needs to go. If you want near instantaneous, you'd need an object for every parameter you're monitoring.
If you cycle through all parameters (of which there can easily be hundreds of thousands), you'll take a bit of a CPU hit.
Ideally you'd work out a system that prioritises the tracks & devices you'd likely tweak and ignores the rest.
There's many ways you could do this, so there isn't a clear right or wrong way. And there are devices like Kapture that'll read and adjust the state of all accessible parameters.