Changing MIDI channel between Input and Instrument

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
Per Boysen

Changing MIDI channel between Input and Instrument

Post by Per Boysen » Sat Jan 14, 2017 11:36 am

Hi guys,

Can someone please share a hint on how to change the input MIDI channel between the MIDI input and the instrument?

My situation is this: I have Kontakt patches that need to be fed over MIDI channel 16, in order to work. When playing my Push in Live I see no way of telling the PUsh what MIDI channel to output over (if I could set the Push to output MIDI channel 16 this would be a no-brainer).

In Bitwig I'm solving this by slapping an instance of Plogue Bidule VST between the track's midi input and the Kontakt VST instance. Then I program the Bidule plugin to change all MIDI notes to the required MIDI channel.

In Logic I don't need to solve it, because the MIDI channel you set for a track changes all incoming MIDI Note data to your chosen channel. But Live's MIDI Input channel seems to be a filter rather than a converter.

But Live has MIDI plugins that can be put between the track's MIDI input and the instrument instance. Unfortunately I'm finding no such plugin for converting MIDI channel of incoming notes. Maybe someone here knows about a M4L object that converts note's MIDI channel?
Greetings from Sweden

Per Boysen
http://www.perboysen.com