Rapture Pro (64) not playing nice with Live

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
Thom Run

Rapture Pro (64) not playing nice with Live

Post by Thom Run » Sun May 03, 2015 2:16 am

I purchased and installed Rapture Pro and for at least a day it was working well with Live.
Now when I try to open a Live set that has made use of Rapture, I get the "white screen of death" as I call it.
Live not responding.
If I go to open any of set that has not made use of Rapture, no problem.
Anyone else who is using Rapture Pro having this issue?

Thom Run

Re: Rapture Pro (64) not playing nice with Live

Post by Thom Run » Sun May 03, 2015 4:03 am

So my wife (the MBA in the family ) says, why don't you just uninstall and reinstall it (Rapture)
Well....that worked.
For now at least.

Cheers

mholloway

Post by mholloway » Mon May 04, 2015 8:12 pm

Cakewalk products don't get along well with, uh, just about anybody. Check the KVRaudio forums for a long list of grievances re: Rapture Pro.

And if you're on a Mac, better say goondight...

-M
my industrial music made with Ableton Live (as DEAD WHEN I FOUND HER): https://deadwhenifoundher.bandcamp.com/
my dark jazz / noir music made with Ableton Live: https://michaelarthurholloway.bandcamp. ... guilt-noir

jcrystal

Post by jcrystal » Tue May 12, 2015 2:35 pm

Same issue, have found it is connected somehow to the VST3 which must be installed for the AU to work. I've reinstalled that plugin for both Rapture Pro and Z3ta+2 and for the moment at least they both work in Live 64bit

EDIT: that is until I quit Live and reopened, and now neither will load again (Crash Live)!
ambientidm wrote:works fine in 32 bit
but crashes instantly, as does z3ta 2, in 64

selthym

Post by selthym » Wed Jun 17, 2015 2:22 pm

I purchased Z3TA+ 2 yesterday. I was sold after having a quick play with the demo.

What I have been looking for is a VST / AU (I am on a Mac) that I can "configure" in a way that maps very nicely to Push and where Live and Push can read the component names logically. i.e.. OSC1 wave, EG1 attack.

What I liked about Z3TA+, more so than any other VST/AU I own or have tested is that I can configure Oscillators, the filter, envelopes etc. very neatly in groups of 8 to make a "bank" in Push. For example, the AMP Envelope that I have "configured" consists of Delay, Attack, Decay Time, Decay Level, Sustain Level, Release and Amount.

This was all going well in the demo, so I purchased it. Last night I mapped out my configuration, grouped it to an instrument rack and all was good.

Today, I load up the rack and had 2 crashes and then no sound coming from the instrument once I started again. By opening the configure tab in the rack, I have noticed that every time the instrument is loaded, The live rack or Z3TA resets all the controls to the hard left position. This is turning off all oscillators, setting all envelopes to -100%, The filter to fully closed etc. The configured controls in rack are also not updating Z3TA's GUI, although the sound does react.

I have also got a fear that when I do create a song using Z3TA that uses automation, the same will occur and my results won't be saved.

Has anyone got any tips or suggestions to get this working.

Mister Natural

Post by Mister Natural » Fri Jun 19, 2015 1:37 am

fwiw - no issues here in any way with either RapturePro or the very lovely Z+2 using 32 bit
an expert only on what it feels like to be me
& you are who you google
#smile

jcrystal

Post by jcrystal » Fri Jun 19, 2015 1:46 am

The issue is with 64 bit, not 32. That seems to work fine for most of us.
Mister Natural wrote:fwiw - no issues here in any way with either RapturePro or the very lovely Z+2 using 32 bit

selthym

Post by selthym » Fri Jun 19, 2015 9:30 am

Something tells me this is a stupid question that I already know the answer to, but I am going to ask it anyway. Would the 32bit AU work with Live 64bit on MAC OSX 10.8.5?

mholloway

Post by mholloway » Fri Jun 19, 2015 4:13 pm

selthym wrote:Something tells me this is a stupid question that I already know the answer to, but I am going to ask it anyway. Would the 32bit AU work with Live 64bit on MAC OSX 10.8.5?
Of course not, that's the whole problem. Anybody running a 64bit host can't access 32bit plugs...

...Unless you use a shitty wrapper like J-Bridge to get 32bit apps working in a 64 bit host. My experience with J-Bridge and Rapture is near constant crashes, which I suppose is one "near" better than the constant crashes reported when trying to use the 64 bit version.
my industrial music made with Ableton Live (as DEAD WHEN I FOUND HER): https://deadwhenifoundher.bandcamp.com/
my dark jazz / noir music made with Ableton Live: https://michaelarthurholloway.bandcamp. ... guilt-noir

Machinesworking

Post by Machinesworking » Fri Jun 19, 2015 4:22 pm

For what it's worth there's supposed to be an update for Rapture this month to fix issues etc.

Z3ta+2 works as advertised for me, but yeah Cakewalk have some issues. Took them three months to get an installer that worked with a Yosemite update.
To their credit they gave me three paid preset libraries of my choice for the hassle, if I was a big preset user this would have been cool.

Sucks about Rapture, the discount price makes me seriously want to pick it up, but I think it would be smarter to see how this all plays out.

mholloway

Post by mholloway » Fri Jun 19, 2015 6:17 pm

The original Rapture was a great synth and deserved a much better update than this on every level. All they really did was glue Dimension Pro to it and call it "new." But worst of all is that fact that it was launched as a broken product with a broken installer, and apparently STILL doesn't work on mac 64bit, if even PC. I really think Cakewalk have continue to slide into full garbageware mode.

Machinesworking

Post by Machinesworking » Sat Jun 20, 2015 4:55 pm

mholloway wrote:The original Rapture was a great synth and deserved a much better update than this on every level. All they really did was glue Dimension Pro to it and call it "new." But worst of all is that fact that it was launched as a broken product with a broken installer, and apparently STILL doesn't work on mac 64bit, if even PC. I really think Cakewalk have continue to slide into full garbageware mode.
That's really disappointing, but until they fix it I think you're right.
Z3ta+2 is a really great synth as well, I wonder if some of this isn't due to Gibson? I'm a guitar player first and Gibson are a personal favorite, but they're notorious for destroying the companies they buy up.

One can hope they get a reboot on the lines of NI, who years ago were completely unreliable and always behind with every update.
NI have the advantage of immense popularity though = more cash to fix shit.

selthym

Post by selthym » Sun Jun 21, 2015 3:41 am

selthym wrote: By opening the configure tab in the rack, I have noticed that every time the instrument is loaded, The live rack or Z3TA resets all the controls to the hard left position. This is turning off all oscillators, setting all envelopes to -100%, The filter to fully closed etc. The configured controls in rack are also not updating Z3TA's GUI, although the sound does react.
A work around I have discovered for the benefit of anyone else who is having these issues. Saving the Live set and then reopening seems to get around this issue. Rather than saving my configured Z3TA VST as an instrument Rack, for the times I want to use Z3TA with Push I have created a Live set with Z3TA configured how I like and then simply reopen the set.