Inspirational Tools For Music

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
re:dream

Re: Inspirational Tools For Music

Post by re:dream » Sun Mar 08, 2015 6:26 am

Steve Glen wrote:sit still quietly for 4 minutes.

Wow. I gotta try that some time.

Idonotlikebroccoli

Post by Idonotlikebroccoli » Sun Mar 08, 2015 11:46 am

Go for a walk in the woods!

Tarekith

Post by Tarekith » Sun Mar 08, 2015 3:29 pm

Figure or iKaossilator on my iPhone out in the woods.

tedlogan

Post by tedlogan » Sun Mar 08, 2015 4:07 pm

- Tweaking without much forethought Hive's sequencer lanes from Push, with random percussive clips triggered from APC40. I always end up with something to store in my clips/ideas library. I wish Bazille's sequencer faders could be configured too for the same process...

- Granulator II ... so many avenues this thing can lead you down, but for what I look for in pads/textures - it's perfection. Lush organic splendidness. Layer 2 or more in a rack. Throw in M4L expression control. Or alter the amp envelope to use as additive percussion.

Just those 2 keep me occupied for hours these days.

regretfullySaid

Post by regretfullySaid » Sun Mar 08, 2015 4:25 pm

Drugs.
ImageImage

Martin Gifford

Post by Martin Gifford » Mon Mar 09, 2015 10:23 am

Polished colourful gear like Roland MX-1. 8)

A high quality bass or guitar that looks great and has a smooth fretboard.

Slightly off topic:

Listening to really fresh jumping or innovative tracks, e.g. Royals by Lorde, Grace Kelly by Mika, Cups, Radioactive by Imagine Dragons. :D (So much generic dross out there :evil: )

Ripping off others' ideas.

Spontaneity, e.g. randomly hitting notes while watching X-Files or something.

Flicking through synth presets while improvising.

Cool drum kits, but so many are dross that it's a drag looking for them.

Collaboration (but no one wants to collaborate with me :cry: ).

Ultimately: Tuning into the dynamism of life. 8O

Quez

Post by Quez » Mon Mar 09, 2015 3:34 pm

Going for a walk, other art forms (photography, painting, etc)
Taking a break.
Playing with the dog.

jbw

Post by jbw » Mon Mar 09, 2015 7:04 pm

Your mind, and the reality of how you were created.

Creation is actually a natural language, a more pure form of speaking than spoken language, which is why music and other art forms are often referred to as a "universal" language.

Why I say "your mind" and not your heart or your soul, is because the mind is the avenue through which that expression is ultimately brought to reality. Your mind is what gives form and construct to that raw expression.

Interesting to look at the word "inspire" and where it comes from, which is Latin with the word meaning to breath into. Definitions also state the word originally referring to divine or supernatural origins, with the idea of it meaning to impart a truth or idea to someone.

Why I say "the reality of how you were created" is because that is how human beings are created, with life being breathed into you and you being made in the image of the creator. So you being in the image of the creator it is natural for humans to want to create and communicate like the creator, the one in whose image you were made.

It is a shame there is such an artificial and unjustified wedge driven between science and The Holy Bible, because a lot of beautiful truths go completely missed. A discerning eye knows better. If the thought of The Bible makes you cringe, get over your petty little hatred and discrimination and maybe try learning something once in a while.

TomViolenz

Post by TomViolenz » Mon Mar 09, 2015 7:25 pm

jbw wrote:Your mind, and the reality of how you were created.

Creation is actually a natural language, a more pure form of speaking than spoken language, which is why music and other art forms are often referred to as a "universal" language.

Why I say "your mind" and not your heart or your soul, is because the mind is the avenue through which that expression is ultimately brought to reality. Your mind is what gives form and construct to that raw expression.

Interesting to look at the word "inspire" and where it comes from, which is Latin with the word meaning to breath into. Definitions also state the word originally referring to divine or supernatural origins, with the idea of it meaning to impart a truth or idea to someone.

Why I say "the reality of how you were created" is because that is how human beings are created, with life being breathed into you and you being made in the image of the creator. So you being in the image of the creator it is natural for humans to want to create and communicate like the creator, the one in whose image you were made.

It is a shame there is such an artificial and unjustified wedge driven between science and The Holy Bible, because a lot of beautiful truths go completely missed. A discerning eye knows better. If the thought of The Bible makes you cringe, get over your petty little hatred and discrimination and maybe try learning something once in a while.
It's really more the wedge between reality and fairytales ;-)

H20nly

Post by H20nly » Mon Mar 09, 2015 7:32 pm

it could well be the bridge. open your mind... is what jbw is saying. your response is the same old shit you always say.

TomViolenz

Post by TomViolenz » Mon Mar 09, 2015 8:18 pm

H20nly wrote:it could well be the bridge. open your mind... is what jbw is saying. your response is the same old shit you always say.
well see, if he would have just stated that the bible inspires him, I would have said nothing at all.

But when he thinks he needs to proselytize, then he is not just violating the forum guidelines, his statements are also fair game for giving some perspective from the other side: The reality based community ;-)

And open your mind? To what?! Badly (by commity) written prose that strains any credibility from page one to whatever is the last page in that tomb of a fairytale for so called "grown ups"?!

If he leaves his religion to himself, then I promise I will also keep my opinion about religion to myself. 8)

rasputin

Post by rasputin » Tue Mar 10, 2015 2:03 am

My studio is temporarily unavailable due to "toxic hazard". So in desperation to make any kind of noise I put together this kit.

Cheap 6 string electric refitted with EMG active pickups
Korg Kaoscillator
Zoom R8
Sennheiser phones

All powerable on AA batteries, and the Zoom has decent mics, effects, drum machine, loops, etc. etc.

In some ways, I'm more productive than when I have my huge Live setup available to me!
Live 9.1 <> occasionally Reason 4.0.1 <> Reaper.latest! <> Windows 7 on a bespoke Intel Q6600 <> ASUS P5E <> 8GB RAM, M-Audio Delta 2496 and that's it.

JavaJeff

Post by JavaJeff » Tue Mar 10, 2015 12:35 pm

Dumb question perhaps, but being a big Eno fan, what is Oblique Strategies? Is it music? Not clear to me doing a quick Googels-search what it is.