M4L's Convolution Reverb vs Altiverb 7?

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
cabletone

M4L's Convolution Reverb vs Altiverb 7?

Post by cabletone » Wed Feb 25, 2015 6:35 pm

Is there a difference in sound quality?

Anyone compared both side by side?

Any other notable differences?

jobinho

Re: M4L's Convolution Reverb vs Altiverb 7?

Post by jobinho » Thu May 26, 2016 6:14 pm

Bump, would love to know this too if anyone's compared both?

Machinesworking

Post by Machinesworking » Thu May 26, 2016 7:04 pm

Altiverb uses its own convolution reverb format at a supposedly higher resolution which I don't think is that big of a deal. the main thing you get with Altiverb is hundreds and hundreds of professionally done samples from around the world recorded by Audio Ease from around 13 years of Altivers, that's where the real value of Altiverb is. It's a big price tag though, the cost of hundreds of plane tickets is reflected in the price of the plug in.

beats me

Post by beats me » Thu May 26, 2016 8:47 pm

I’m reverb stupid for the most part, but if you are going to drop that much on an effect, any effect, it should be considered “The only one you will ever need. EVER.” I rarely see people firing up Altiverb in their videos and when I do it’s usually somebody getting paid well for movie or videogame scoring. You’d probably get more use out of a handful of alternative reverbs totaling the same price. Hell, buy all the more commonly used Vahalla reverbs. Twice. And still have money left over.

Machinesworking

Post by Machinesworking » Thu May 26, 2016 10:11 pm

beats me wrote:I’m reverb stupid for the most part, but if you are going to drop that much on an effect, any effect, it should be considered “The only one you will ever need. EVER.” I rarely see people firing up Altiverb in their videos and when I do it’s usually somebody getting paid well for movie or videogame scoring. You’d probably get more use out of a handful of alternative reverbs totaling the same price. Hell, buy all the more commonly used Vahalla reverbs. Twice. And still have money left over.
Completely different beasts. Honestly I purchased Altiverb a few years ago, and I really do like it, I have nothing bad to say about it, and yeah it's all I ever use anymore. The only comparable reverb as far as scope or wow factor to me anyway is UVI's Sparkverb, and since it's in Falcon I tend to have a hard time spending money for the stand alone version. Oh, and also I get some use out of Eventide Ultrareverb since it can do some pretty freaky FX type things with changing room size etc.

Gist is convolution reverbs are only as good as the convolutions, and IMO Audio Ease did a great job. That said there are a few collections of free convolutions that are outstanding out there, and algorithmic reverbs still have their place.