Please help me understand Live???

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
Scott

Please help me understand Live???

Post by Scott » Thu Apr 18, 2002 5:22 am

I got an email from tech support on making an acoustic guitar track sound...well like an acoustic guitar. These warp markers basically appear to destroy the sound. Tech S said to play with the Transient Res and lower the tempo a bit which I did to no avail. Moving the markers back and forth is enough to drive me batty and since they all move you never seem to get anywhere--you line one beat up and then the rest are off. I even had probs getting a perfect loop with a drum loop supplied in the demo. Whats wrong...I thought Live had so much potential but now I m not sure. Do I just not understand time stretching...there are only so many options to play with and I cant seem to get any loops to sound like regular audio loops and the more I try to adjust the markers the worse it sounds. Please tell me Im misunderstanding something because I really do want to buy and use this program.

tjwett

strings...

Post by tjwett » Fri Apr 19, 2002 4:06 am

this is going to happen whenever you sample a plucked instrument and stretch it to a different tempo. you should just record the sample in at the correct tempo you'd like it to be. like if you want it to go along with a 120bpm tune make sure you record it at 120(the tempo is in the upper left corner). then it won't have to stretch at all. timestretching takes the wave you create and stretches it so that it will play at the tempo that you're working with...you're still dealing with the same wave, it's just playing slower or faster. so that's why you hear all the wobbles. if you already know how fast you want it record it at that speed and it will stay clean...or transpose it till it doesn't wobble then resample through a pitch shifter to bring it back to normal.