EXPRESS YOURSELF: Whats D best Controller 4 u?

Share your favorite Ableton Live tips, tricks, and techniques.
ben_blue

Post by ben_blue » Tue Aug 09, 2005 5:47 pm

i currently use the BCR2000, and liek someone said ^^ the midi implemntation is so AMAZING - allowing me to do so many things you could never do with the uc33 for example.

i cant even being to tell you the crazy shit i can do! actually i could, and i have.

but what i dont have is more buttons. what i need is a trigger finger with 4 times as many pads , 1/4 the size.

i most likely will be building my own as soon as i can.

http://www.ucapps.de/

some of the things i have done:

-a channel selector - one knob cycles horizontally through tracks (like faderfox)
and the same knobs control the filter, etc on each track when i select it.
- eq/filter switch. one button toggles three knobs between hi/mid/low gain and freq/resonance/ filt type. these fall under the channel selector.
- eq normalize. one button resets my EQ to 0 dB, or as close as midi will let me...
-all sends normalize - anohter buttn resets all my sends to 0.

once again ive told you way toooo much! j/k, i get pretty excited.

oh and BTW, i use Plogue Bidule with the BCR. its that combo that is kick so much ass for me. all those things above are possible because of both of those...

cheers
ben
my favorites at the moment: MASSIVE. FM8. LIVE 6. Bome's Pro. KORE.

hambone1

Post by hambone1 » Tue Aug 09, 2005 8:37 pm

M-Audio Ozonic.

Four 24-bit audio ins and outs, phantom power, 20 banks of knobs. faders, buttons, joystick, 37 full-size keys, aftertouch, and power, all down a single Firewire cable. No wall warts or AC needed. And the Enigma software makes it so easy to configure and manage multiple controller setups. I've got setups for Arkaos, Live, and DMX lighting programming, and Arkaos, Live, and DMX lighting live. Toss in Plogue Bidule, and there's nothing you can't do.

Ozonic & Powerbook. Everything you need in two boxes.

smart1123

Post by smart1123 » Tue Aug 09, 2005 10:32 pm

love my UC-33e

love the look of the Mawzer

would love to get a BCR2000 as well
15" TiBook 1.5 GHz 1Gig RAM, MOTU Traveller, Live 5, Reaktor 5, Alesis Micron, Yamaha EX-5, UC-33e, BCR2000, Lexicon MPX-1, Orbit, Event 20/20's

Nod

Post by Nod » Wed Aug 10, 2005 2:05 am

Tuur wrote:
Nod wrote:Mixing: An old Yamaha Promix 01 - everything sends out assignable MIDI CC's meaning you can control 16 channels worth of faders,pans,mutes & solos w/4 sends each AND an EQ4 on each channel.
:idea:

Time to get mine out of the basement I guess...
Hi Tuur - if, like me, your sick of using a mouse then dig out that 01! Serious bit of kit for its time and, given that Yamaha had the foresight to MIDI implement pretty much everything, still useful as a controller even without the audio facility. It's also reasonably solid unlike a lot of the modern plasticky controllers and has full motorised recall.

Still getting mine fully programmed & set up - but if it's any help once I'm done I can mail you a desk SYSEX dump and v5 .als template.

Nokatus

Post by Nokatus » Wed Aug 10, 2005 4:01 am

leisuremuffin wrote:toughest slider controller is the peavey pc-1600x. It's got really nice faders and is metal.
I'm rocking a PC-1600X as well 8)

It really is, like the saying goes, built like a freakin' tank.

DCools

Post by DCools » Wed Aug 10, 2005 12:39 pm

Hola,

The best controller is my brain which uses my right arm and hand to move the mouse around so everything works.

:o

Yes, I'm in a mellow mood right now.

Ciao!
Me.

CJ Vega

Post by CJ Vega » Thu Aug 11, 2005 2:25 am

Machinate wrote:cj, do you actually own a Bitstream 3X?

jeremy, what is your impression of the unit?
Hi Machinate!

I´ve just received my Bitsream 3X!!!
I can tell you its almoust perfect! The good thing is that combines the best of both words since you can use it in your studio or for DJing with it perfectly!!

from 0-10 i will give 9.5
The 0.5 missing are just little details that i would improve, but nothing so serious!

One thing that really impressed me is the hardware quality, it looks like a Access Virus C hand made style! Its really heavy and when you get it in your hand you can feel its not a "toy" like UC33 (no offence) kind of controllers.

Of course, you have to pay about 550€ inc VAT to have a baby like this! ;)

Im happy! :D

Cheers,

CJ

4whodontknow: www.waveidea.com Beatstream 3X :D
2xPBG4 1.5Ghz / 80 / 1.5GB - Live - Reason - Arkaos - Novation X-Station - Access Virus Ti... Plus a lot of Old School Gear!

jeremy0613

Post by jeremy0613 » Fri Aug 12, 2005 9:01 am

yes I own a Bitstream 3X
it is almost perfect .. a great unit
I do love the motion sampler

Paul Nolan

Post by Paul Nolan » Wed Aug 17, 2005 7:41 pm

has anyone used the new faderfox controllers at all?

just ordered an LV1 to see what they are like, and if i think they're any good i might get an lx1 to complement it

they look pretty interesting imo

Tarekith

Post by Tarekith » Wed Aug 17, 2005 8:09 pm

BCR for me, but only for the excellent midi implementation. I'd gladly pay 4x times as much for a sturdier controller. It's not bad, but it does feel like it costs.

Clearscreen

Post by Clearscreen » Thu Aug 18, 2005 7:20 am

i started with the edirol pcr30, used a doepfer pocket dial (very cool but no buttons) and an akai mpd 16 (lotsa buttons but they don't light up), tried a jlcooper cs-32 (great on mac, crap software on pc - b@st*rds!), played with a mates bcr2000 (too bulky) and came back to the pcr30... c'est la vie i guess!

wanted to get a 3x about twelve months ago, but they dragged their arses SO badly getting them out there! and i've since realised i want back lit buttons anyhoo. also been checking out the mawzer thing, but that ones taking ages to get made as well!

i've kind of talked myself into getting a lemur now that they output MIDI, once i save for about 6-12 months that is :) ....[/b]
Hp Elitebook 2.8Ghz. Live 7.0.14 & Live 8.1.5, XP Pro. and stuff...

segue

Post by segue » Thu Aug 18, 2005 9:41 am

X-Station for me. The updated drivers were a godsend and the midi template software is very effective.

Dodge

Post by Dodge » Thu Aug 18, 2005 8:30 pm

jeremy0613 wrote:yes I own a Bitstream 3X
it is almost perfect .. a great unit
I do love the motion sampler
Looks cool on the web site, am really tempted by this but dont like paying this much for something based on a VR image and with no actual sample to check out. How long have you had the controller and what platform are you using, Mac or PC?

Atomikat

Post by Atomikat » Fri Aug 19, 2005 2:31 am

An UC33e, a Trigger Finger and an Oxygen 8 do the job for me. :D

supster

Post by supster » Fri Aug 19, 2005 10:41 am

CJ Vega wrote:I´ve just received my Bitsream 3X!!!
I can tell you its almoust perfect!
hey, curious about a couple of things:

looks like the dimensions are given in mm ... so 3x is approximately 1.3 ft / .6 ft right? and about 6 pounds?

its hard to tell the true size on the page.

also: feel of those knobs and sliders .. pretty smooth or what?

what are you using the infrared for? ie. can you wave your hand over this and trigger .... what? anything? or are there limitations / is it tricky to work?

in the upper left hand corner i see A, B, and C indicators next to the top row of knobs.... what do these represent? are they different switchable CC modes for that top row or what?

really interested in this, looks like the first solid piece of gear in the price range that might be worth getting ..
--
NEW SPECS: Athlon 4200+ dual; A8N-SLI m/b; Win XP Home SP2; 1 GB RAM; 2x 7200 RPM HDD: 1 internal, 1 Firewire 800 (Firewire is project data drive); M-Audio Triggerfinger

josh 'vonster' von; tracks and sets
http://www.joshvon.com