Do I need an audio interface?

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
aburgener

Do I need an audio interface?

Post by aburgener » Tue Jun 04, 2013 3:29 pm

Hey, this is probably a dumb question but I haven't been on these forums in years and am just starting to get re-introduced to Live after a long time...

If I plan to work 100% "in the box" - i.e. no external audio input/recording - how important is an interface (really, how important is a low latency driver, I guess)?

I can play around in Live and sequence things and all is well. My plan is to get a small USB controller. My fear is that if I introduce a MIDI controller into the mix and now I'm playing Live synths with it, latency may come into play?

I'm on a PC by the way.

So - can I get away with just a midi controller and my PC laptop or will the latency suck because I have no ASIO driver?

login

Re: Do I need an audio interface?

Post by login » Tue Jun 04, 2013 3:32 pm

aburgener wrote:Hey, this is probably a dumb question but I haven't been on these forums in years and am just starting to get re-introduced to Live after a long time...

If I plan to work 100% "in the box" - i.e. no external audio input/recording - how important is an interface (really, how important is a low latency driver, I guess)?

I can play around in Live and sequence things and all is well. My plan is to get a small USB controller. My fear is that if I introduce a MIDI controller into the mix and now I'm playing Live synths with it, latency may come into play?

I'm on a PC by the way.

So - can I get away with just a midi controller and my PC laptop or will the latency suck because I have no ASIO driver?

are you using aiso4all drivers? how much is your latency now? I think it will depend on what plugs you are using.

carrieres

Post by carrieres » Tue Jun 04, 2013 3:42 pm

exactly try asio4all and you won't need a external audio card
Yamaha CS-30, Roland SH-1 and MKS70, Focusrite Scarlett 18i6, Yamaha FS1R, Oberheim Matrix 1000, Novation Remote 37SL, Alesis M1Active 520, Novation Launchpad PRO
Intel i7-7700HQ, Windows 10, Ableton Live 10 Suite
http://soundcloud.com/ccarrieres

aburgener

Post by aburgener » Tue Jun 04, 2013 4:03 pm

Should have also mentioned I'm rocking Windows 8 - is ASIO4ALL stable on Windows 8?

Sorry, I am familiar with ASIO4ALL and have used it in the past - but I did forget about that option. I was thinking it wasn't fully supported on Win8 though last time I checked.

aburgener

Post by aburgener » Tue Jun 04, 2013 4:10 pm

I installed it and it appears to work alright... thanks!

Post by 102455 » Tue Jun 04, 2013 4:18 pm

carrieres wrote:exactly try asio4all and you won't need a external audio card
Sorry but that's a ridiculous statement.

ASIO4ALL is not an ASIO driver. It's an EMULATOR that sits on top of your existing Windows WDM driver.

The only time you'd need ASIO4ALL is if you were trying to use some software which could only output to an ASIO device (which is extremely rare now). The driver would allow you to output audio via your cheap and nasty onboard sound by fooling the software into thinking you had an ASIO card when you didn't.

That's what it does. That's the reason it exists.

It's not there to magically transform your onboard audio into a professional low latency interface.

It can't do that, because your onboard audio is still only running via the WDM driver.

Use the right tools for the job. If you want decent performance, buy the proper kit instead of trying to bodge it.

:P

kitekrazy

Post by kitekrazy » Tue Jun 04, 2013 4:39 pm

102455 wrote:

ASIO4ALL is not an ASIO driver. It's an EMULATOR that sits on top of your existing Windows WDM driver.

The only time you'd need ASIO4ALL is if you were trying to use some software which could only output to an ASIO device (which is extremely rare now). The driver would allow you to output audio via your cheap and nasty onboard sound by fooling the software into thinking you had an ASIO card when you didn't.

It's not there to magically transform your onboard audio into a professional low latency interface.

It can't do that, because your onboard audio is still only running via the WDM driver.

Use the right tools for the job. If you want decent performance, buy the proper kit instead of trying to bodge it.

Someone got it right. I see a lot of high end PC builds and then they compliment it by stick with onboard sound or Soundblaster. Might as well put snow tires on a Corvette.

H20nly

Post by H20nly » Tue Jun 04, 2013 4:58 pm

^ :lol: nice car analogy placement.

savyurrecords

Post by savyurrecords » Tue Jun 04, 2013 6:48 pm

Do you need it? No

Does it make things run a bit better and sound much better? Yes

The choice is yours you get what you pay for in life.

I wouldn't ever let it stop me from making music but I would save up some money for a small interface while making music with the soundblaster.

carrieres

Post by carrieres » Wed Jun 05, 2013 8:18 am

102455 wrote:

my answer is dependent of the context and perimeter of the problem so it's a right answer :roll:
but you are right, if the question was about performance and professional a decent soundcard is mandatory
i think he should buy his midi controller first and if he has pour latency (i doubt) buy a soundcard
Yamaha CS-30, Roland SH-1 and MKS70, Focusrite Scarlett 18i6, Yamaha FS1R, Oberheim Matrix 1000, Novation Remote 37SL, Alesis M1Active 520, Novation Launchpad PRO
Intel i7-7700HQ, Windows 10, Ableton Live 10 Suite
http://soundcloud.com/ccarrieres

CFM

Post by CFM » Thu Jun 06, 2013 9:55 pm

Get yourself a cheap

Focusrite Scarlett 2i2 USB Audio Interface