The technically poorly produced, but GREAT music thread!

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
SuburbanThug

Re: The technically poorly produced, but GREAT music thread!

Post by SuburbanThug » Tue Apr 09, 2013 12:50 am

Creativity and inspiration wins over production value. At least it used to. Although I'm really starting to like a lot of over produced stuff from the eighties that I was never able to get down with when I was a kid. And, perhaps sadly, 90's dance music. I can't help loving it. Gotta get my cheese on once in a while.

3dot...

Post by 3dot... » Tue Apr 09, 2013 12:57 am

beats me wrote:what I’ve gotten from this is all our shit mixes today we pull our hair out over would have been respected or successful 10+ years ago
what you should have gotten I think was that it's not only the mix/sound which makes a good track/music

Theo Void

Post by Theo Void » Tue Apr 09, 2013 1:14 am

3dot... wrote:
beats me wrote:what I’ve gotten from this is all our shit mixes today we pull our hair out over would have been respected or successful 10+ years ago
what you should have gotten I think was that it's not only the mix/sound which makes a good track/music
I do know one thing about the 90's. There were so many REVOLUTIONARY artists!! Like, artists who made music that changed the landscape of music and was truly good and inspiring.
We don't have many (if any) of those these days it seems.
Maybe everything has been done.

SuburbanThug

Post by SuburbanThug » Tue Apr 09, 2013 1:33 am

Theo Void wrote:
3dot... wrote:
I do know one thing about the 90's. There were so many REVOLUTIONARY artists!! Like, artists who made music that changed the landscape of music and was truly good and inspiring.
We don't have many (if any) of those these days it seems.
Maybe everything has been done.
I feel like at least a couple people are doing a good job of advancing the work done in the 90's and especially the eighties. Machinedrum and Ceephax Acid Crew for example in the electronic and dance realm.

Theo Void

Post by Theo Void » Tue Apr 09, 2013 1:47 am

Ya you're right, there are definitely some exceptions.
In fact I kinda like where electronic music is going what w/ all this readily available technology.
There's quite a bit of shit to sift thru but there are some gems.

chrissobo13

Post by chrissobo13 » Tue Apr 09, 2013 7:12 am

I like this thread, as I've always felt there might be an over-emphasis on "superb" production. Not that I don't enjoy the hell out of music that is finely produced, in fact I love it. But I also grew up listening to metal and prog rock. For those genres, production could be all over the place (saw someone mentioned black metal earlier). Hence, I just kind of learned to get past the more unrefined productions and enjoy the music itself. Then I found the murkier/harsher/grittier produced albums seemed to have an acquired taste. Never used to like hoppy beer, either.

That being said, this thread has lifted some of the paranoia I have about people judging my production quality over the music itself. Even to the point where I lose track of what my musical ideas are. And I have no background in sound design/sound recording whatsoever. Only took a couple classes in basic electronic music concepts when I was almost done with college. In fact thats how I got into this.

beats me

Post by beats me » Tue Apr 09, 2013 2:32 pm

3dot... wrote:

I had some relative success with my music in the early 0’s with mixes that are pretty bad and there’s no way I would drop them today. But back then the content of the song outweighed the mix as long as it was reasonable. Also home tech wasn’t as advanced and reasonably priced as it is now so I don’t think the expectations were there.

Now the mix is everything and while my mixes have improved there are a lot of times I give up on something because I don’t think the mix holds up to today’s expectations. And while I didn’t check out all the mentioned artists it does seem like all the artists mentioned are from the distant past. There’s no mention of artists from just the last couple years where the song content outweighs the subpar mix.

Between oversaturation and producer insecurity or lack of PRO skill I’m sure there’s probably a lot of great music being held back or even shared but nobody is listening to it. The crappy mixes that are being heard are most likely because the music is the hot genre of the moment.

Angstrom

Post by Angstrom » Tue Apr 09, 2013 4:15 pm

lucky me, I'm ancient and don't really care much for what's happening right now, I'm much more likely to saturate than to brick wall limit.

Most of the music I think is good was recorded abysmally, or at least survives in terrible form.

This TV performance by James Brown, it sounds terrible, but its more musical to me than 99.9% of anything I hear.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=p ... NxWg#t=24s

for me the music cuts through, and overcomes the bad sound.

JuanSOLO

Post by JuanSOLO » Tue Apr 09, 2013 4:32 pm

Angstrom wrote:This TV performance by James Brown,
I was looking for a good James Brown example too.

3dot...

Post by 3dot... » Tue Apr 09, 2013 4:36 pm

JuanSOLO

Post by JuanSOLO » Tue Apr 09, 2013 4:43 pm

3dot... wrote: I don't consider most of these as "poorly produced"...
but they are damn good regardless!

I guess I think many of them as purposely producing with artifacts etc.
For example, Rythm and Sound they always have that scratchy air thing going on, like no one ever says, hey lets reduce the room noise.
OR Beck, I read an interview with the dustbrothers where they were saying he wanted to put this small amp in the fridge and mic it.

Some of the others I'm not sure they had the resources.
That first Funkadelic is amazing, but the sound quality is shit sometimes. I love it the way it is, but it would be interesting to hear that one with a bit more low end and quite a bit more volume.

Angstrom

Post by Angstrom » Tue Apr 09, 2013 5:59 pm

One of my favourite performances is one of the worst recordings sonically. Content Warning : white person Jazz ahead.

Dave Brubeck - 40 Days
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fmjtVw2fDlM

this is how it sounds on the album I bought it on, pleasantly crumpled. I'm not sure this is 'production' as much as it is 'a microphone in the room'

SuburbanThug

Post by SuburbanThug » Wed Apr 10, 2013 5:18 am

Content Warning : white person Jazz ahead.
:lol:
But it's Dave Brubeck. The last white guy in jazz I would accuse of being "white person jazz."

Here's Busdriver and Daedelus joined by Pigeon John sampling Labert, Hendricks, and Ross and Louis Armstrong (The Real Ambassadors) "Everybody's Comin'" which is a vocalese version of Dave Brubeck's "Everybody's Comin', Everybody's Jumpin'."

Daedelus/Busdriver-->http://vimeo.com/1917141
The Real Ambassadors-->http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YtbN0cNIRJg
Dave Brubeck-->http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YXZjJro3pG8

Sorry, I'm a sample history nerd sometimes. Finding the root of the Daedelus track was really fun. Long before I heard it I had a friend that was on a vocalese kick for a little while. Later I heard the track and recognized Lambert, Hendricks, and Ross' voices. Then a hipster buddy of mine was listening to Dave Brubeck one day and I was like "I know that melody!" Love music, haha....

mdk

Post by mdk » Wed Apr 10, 2013 6:35 am

While we're on the subject of 'white guys in jazz'

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kcMWov0_TAE

not sure its worth debating the production, its just a few mics in a room and sounds amazing.

and for the sample history connection :

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=weWTuvdL-LQ
Pr0k Records - Bandcamp Facebook Twitter