re up of live 9 video!!

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
andydes

Re: re up of live 9 video!!

Post by andydes » Tue Oct 23, 2012 6:10 pm

It's hard to go back once you've sold people something. I think max isn't 64 bit yet, but not sure.

I got it, then realised I'd rather just make music. Oops.

Nokatus

Post by Nokatus » Tue Oct 23, 2012 6:29 pm

JuanSOLO wrote:all I am saying is its interesting, the 64bit beta runs great, I wonder how many people are actually using it? Maybe a lot, maybe not?
Yep, it works perfect over here, and hasn't crashed even in heavy use. I'd say it's already miles better than some actual final versions seen over the years 8O ... I mean, it does exactly what it's supposed to do, no glitches. I honestly can't think of anything bad to say about it.

Caveats: no M4L, no 32 bit plugins. But I don't need either, and it's rock solid (using native devices and also running 64 bit plugins from U-He, Native Instruments, Spectrasonics, Fabfilter, Cytomic, Voxengo.)

JuanSOLO

Post by JuanSOLO » Tue Oct 23, 2012 6:33 pm

andydes wrote:I got it, then realised I'd rather just make music. Oops.
exactly, I imagine thats the case for most people.
Then you have guys like Stray making ClyphX and people hacking with remote scripts etc.
I dont use and iPad, but seems there is much more interest there than with M4L.

makes me wonder if M4L is capable of lasting into the future.

Angstrom

Post by Angstrom » Tue Oct 23, 2012 6:42 pm

andydes wrote: I got it, then realised I'd rather just make music. Oops.
exactly

Tone Deft

Post by Tone Deft » Tue Oct 23, 2012 6:42 pm

JuanSOLO wrote:makes me wonder if M4L is capable of lasting into the future.
probably not, it sucks. ;)

they'll be fine.

best thing about that video is the heavy use of the word 'rewritten.'
In my life
Why do I smile
At people who I'd much rather kick in the eye?
-Moz

andydes

Post by andydes » Tue Oct 23, 2012 7:18 pm

Angstrom wrote:
exactly
Actually that's a bit of a lie, I went though some tutorials and thought "oh fuck me, I don't need to make my own effects that much". Sure it's great for people who want to get into all that though.

stoersignal

Post by stoersignal » Tue Oct 23, 2012 8:30 pm

i know what you mean, but there are times where you got not enough inspiration and then it can be a great alternative to mess around with maxforlive.

it`s not that i`m so much in programming instruments or audioeffects, but i love to play with midi and the live.api to extend the functionality of live

friend_kami

Post by friend_kami » Tue Oct 23, 2012 8:40 pm

Max 6 is currently a 32-bit binary application. We hope to have 64-bit binary version of Max in the future, which will address 32-bit memory limitations. This is not to be confused with MSP’s signal processing bit depth, which has been updated to 64-bit in Max 6. A future 64-bit version of Max would require re-compilation of third-party objects for 64-bit compatibility.
they are aware of it anyways heh.

ian_halsall

Post by ian_halsall » Tue Oct 23, 2012 9:14 pm

andydes wrote:It's hard to go back once you've sold people something. I think max isn't 64 bit yet, but not sure.

I got it, then realised I'd rather just make music. Oops.
Yeah me too - I spent 2 months programming and then thought "a lot of this I can do other ways and I can actually make some music as well and I spend all my time programming - do I really want to do this in my 'spare' time as well?"

I haven't really used it since and I am thinking of selling my license and getting Reaktor (obviously more expensive!).

ilya.soloviev

Post by ilya.soloviev » Wed Oct 24, 2012 4:53 am

I hope its unfinished video of new devices becuase.....NO IR REVERB :cry:

Sibanger

Post by Sibanger » Wed Oct 24, 2012 8:21 am

ilya.soloviev wrote:I hope its unfinished video of new devices becuase.....NO IR REVERB :cry:
Not having a go at you ilya, but I can't see the hype over the need for an IR reverb in Live. ( It's mentioned a lot )

Fair enough, Live's reverb cops a bit of criticism for being pretty average, but it does a job.

There are a heap of great 3rd party reverbs on the market. If it's such a deal breaker, just go out & buy one.

If Abes does include an IR Reverb in Live 9, you'll have people complaining that they already own an expensive reverb, & it's not worth the upgrade. ( Like many who already own Fabfilter Pro Q or The Glue compressor etc..... :wink: )

Stability issues & fundamental workflow improvements ( & M4L 64 Bit :roll: ) would be very welcome.

andydes

Post by andydes » Wed Oct 24, 2012 8:32 am

The video is called live 9 devices master, so there may well other devices covered elsewhere. What you should be saying is

"Why no improvements to limiter? Wtf? Come on ableton, what is this crap? You just lost one more customer! Wake up!"

:P

XPM

Post by XPM » Wed Oct 24, 2012 11:33 am

There are plenty of use who use Max for Live and I would certainly hope that it will continue to be developed and supported for many many years to come.
It's certainly not for everyone (although there are some cracking devices to use whether you choose to go down the programming route or not), but it opens up a whole new world for Live and/or Max users who want to be able to delve deeper into the guts of their DAW. In terms of sound design within Live, there is nothing as flexible and exciting as M4L (obviously Reaktor is an alternative, but in terms of integration, nothing comes close), and combining that with the control element that it provides, I think that there are quite a few musicians and sound artists that find (or will find) M4L to be an extremely attractive proposition.

I personally am hoping that the small scale timing issues inherent in Live 8 are rectified by the rumored rewrite so that I can continue to develop certain tools and patches that have been held back by the problem, but other than small gripes that are always likely during the first release of such a deep tool, I have only praise for such a fine collaboration.

@Ian_halsall - if you would rather spend time making music, why get Reaktor? Yes there is a massive User Library (that will suck away more spare time than you can possibly imagine), but there are also quality devices in M4L that you can use without having to program. If you don't want to spend your time learning to program and then programming in one environment, the choice to get rid and replace it with an environment with equal depth and learning curve (without anything close to the quality of tutorials and documentation btw) seems a little odd. It's up to you of course, but I would advise caution.

puzzlefactory

Post by puzzlefactory » Thu Oct 25, 2012 7:52 am

According to a guy at KVR, Music Tech Magazine stated on their facebook page that Ableton are going to make an announcement this afternoon. Then a little bit later they took it down from facebook.

andydes

Post by andydes » Thu Oct 25, 2012 8:04 am

Seems pretty immanent if you ask me. The silence from Ableton is deafening.

I don't mean that in the "why don't you tell us something, you useless bastards" way that sometimes gets posted.

I mean they're aware of the leak and I suspect are under strict orders not to go online right now.

Unless it's all just marketing games, but that doesn't seem their style.