Please Bring Back playback head scrubbing!

Share what you’d like to see added to Ableton Live.
telekom

Post by telekom » Thu Jul 14, 2005 9:57 am

We've got four different ways of warping audio which we can choose on a per clip basis. Why not have three or four different ways of scrubbing audio that can be selected on per clip basis? It would certainly make the program work harder but it's a price worth paying to have the flexibility. And if you can turn this option off either globally or on a per clip basis, then you can minimise the cpu hit of having several different algorithms going at once (since you could conceivably have two controller knobs tweaking different clips with different methods of scrubbing).

So I know Gerhard already put the kybosh on this earlier for Live 5, but it might be worth hoping for in 6. Quantised scrubbing, Freehand scrubbing, Scrub and Release... it's starting to sound like a dirty movie but you get the picture...

:)
MacBook Pro Retina, Live 9.5, Reason, UC33, KRK RP5s, Teenage Engineering OP1, Korg ESX2, Korg Prophecy, Clavia Nord Lead, Bass, Guitars.
http://soundcloud.com/motorradkinophone

Martyn

Post by Martyn » Thu Jul 14, 2005 10:34 am

amo wrote:
Martyn wrote:
supster wrote: for that matter, what is the purpose of having a seperate "end" marker to stop the loop at all? separating the playhead to run into loops i can see, but the end marker? why?
That's a really good point.

I've been wondering about that myself. i could understand it if there were some kind of 'release' to the clip but this is not the case.

Ableton, what's the end marker for?
if you click on the loop button while it is looping, it will the continue to the end marker ignoring the ending loop brace, means you get a release on the loop. So it takes one button pressing to get a release... That's why end marker is there....

Cheers,
amo
Good point Amo, I never thought of that. I've got so used to the old way of working that I'm forgetting how much of the clip properties we can now midi up.

The trouble with this beta test is that it's too short a time to really get to know so many new features. I feel that Live 5 will be a long time into it's actual release before some of us have a good idea as to whether they really like some of the new working methods or not.

I know like the new markers in the arrange page, never really used to scrub much, so I can live without that (must be a pisser if you used to rely on it though). I'm screwing loops up A LOT just trying to zoom though, maybe I'll just get used to it, but it'd be REALLY easy to cock things up in a live performance.

It's also really easy to knock a stylus on a traditional mix, or slip to the wrong fret on a guitar performance. Dangerous is sometimes good :wink:

Tuur

Post by Tuur » Thu Jul 14, 2005 10:41 am

Martyn wrote:It's also really easy to knock a stylus on a traditional mix...
Or pick up the wrong one right after your mix.

8) :arrow: 8O :arrow: :oops: :arrow: :lol:

logman

The RAM THANG

Post by logman » Thu Jul 14, 2005 11:57 am

With the scrubbing issue I think needing to have RAM on is definately a bug. Report it to the Beta police.

2ndly, has anyone tried the Beat repeat option and what results and audience-wowing tricks have you got from that?? (post that to the Tips and Tricks pls). Perhaps with enough time spent on that, one might find a way of emulating the old behaviour.

Then there is Impulse, where one could slice up a loop into sections, or the same loop with different start points and then run MIDI to get the same effect in conjunction with the Random device perhaps?

Or slice/rearrange the loop down a track and use follow actions or a MIDI map to switch between starting points.

I can understand that mapping the start point to a CC is great, but on my keyboard I can never get the sensitivity I'm after - so I would go with NoteOn's.

Often new ways of working can equal new sounds...

Chris J

Post by Chris J » Thu Jul 14, 2005 12:47 pm

supster wrote:the more i work with all of this the more it confuses me, and ive been using live since version 2

- does the orange "offset locator" follow any rhyme or reason, or is it buggy? because im working on a dj set right now, and it seems to jump randomly around on the clip grid.
tell me about it, I just can't make sense out of that thing
Quad 6600 Intel, AsusP5Q, 2Gb ram, XP sp3, Evolution MK361c & UC33e, Line6 UX8

Chris J

Post by Chris J » Thu Jul 14, 2005 12:50 pm

supster wrote: - when i skip the loop forward in the clip using the arrow markers, the start/end postion flags get bunched up together in the front of the loop brace. i have to manually fix them ... taking valuable time as my previous loop runs ..... so skipping the loop around the grid no longer works
bump

Chris J

Re: The RAM THANG

Post by Chris J » Thu Jul 14, 2005 12:54 pm

logman wrote:With the scrubbing issue I think needing to have RAM on is definately a bug. Report it to the Beta police.
it's been done and done again since b8 at least , but no correction so far on b15

supster

Post by supster » Thu Jul 14, 2005 4:06 pm

quandry wrote: versions 2-4 have the playposition line constantlly moving forward at the tempo of the song, and when you jump around the clip using the mouse (and the ctrl button in 4, arghh), you are offsetting the clip to the actual location of the constantly forward-moving playposition line.

.. 5 jumps to wherever you click on the clip (vs. offsetting in 2-4), which I can see as a useful option, but different than the 2-4 behavior of offsetting.

the constant forward motion of the playposition while scrubbing, the global quantize value inevitably creates a repeating stutter anytime you hold the mouse in place without constant movement.
thank you, this is what i was observing but couldnt quite put my finger on to describe it, thats exactly it.

its a very different teqnique, and for rythmic elements over the beat the result is less predicatable and musical to my ears. which, if you really understand the explanation of the difference above, makes perfect sense.
--
NEW SPECS: Athlon 4200+ dual; A8N-SLI m/b; Win XP Home SP2; 1 GB RAM; 2x 7200 RPM HDD: 1 internal, 1 Firewire 800 (Firewire is project data drive); M-Audio Triggerfinger

josh 'vonster' von; tracks and sets
http://www.joshvon.com

supster

Post by supster » Thu Jul 14, 2005 4:09 pm

leisuremuffin wrote:
supster wrote:if the the playhead crosses the end marker, it stops audio output. so if the end marker is accidentally somewhere where you dont want it to be ... ie inside the loop .. it stops it

no, it doesn't.

-lm
:?:

yes, it does.
--
NEW SPECS: Athlon 4200+ dual; A8N-SLI m/b; Win XP Home SP2; 1 GB RAM; 2x 7200 RPM HDD: 1 internal, 1 Firewire 800 (Firewire is project data drive); M-Audio Triggerfinger

leisuremuffin

Post by leisuremuffin » Thu Jul 14, 2005 5:21 pm

supster wrote:
leisuremuffin wrote:
supster wrote:if the the playhead crosses the end marker, it stops audio output. so if the end marker is accidentally somewhere where you dont want it to be ... ie inside the loop .. it stops it

no, it doesn't.

-lm

yes, it does.

I guess i have a "special" version because i can have the end marker anywhere i want inside a loop and it does NOTHING. for me it only affects one shots.

-lm
TimeableFloat ???S?e?n?d?I?n?f?o

supster

Post by supster » Thu Jul 14, 2005 6:58 pm

leisuremuffin wrote:
no, it doesn't.

-lm

yes, it does.[/quote]

I guess i have a "special" version because i can have the end marker anywhere i want inside a loop and it does NOTHING. for me it only affects one shots.
[/quote]

oh

:D

well gee, between that and amo's post about using the loop switch to jump the brackets and kill the clip where the end marker is ... now i know what its for :lol:
--

Gerhard

Post by Gerhard » Fri Jul 15, 2005 11:15 am

Your points have been taken. Thanks, Quandry, for your patience explaining what you prefer about the old scrubbing method versus the new one. Give us some time to think about it. I am hoping we find a way to satisfy everyone's needs. Thanks for bearing with us.

Gerhard
Gerhard Behles
behles@ableton.com

quandry

Post by quandry » Fri Jul 15, 2005 12:13 pm

Gerhard wrote:Your points have been taken. Thanks, Quandry, for your patience explaining what you prefer about the old scrubbing method versus the new one. Give us some time to think about it. I am hoping we find a way to satisfy everyone's needs. Thanks for bearing with us.

Gerhard
Thanks for listening, and thanks for making such amazing software. It is only because the features of previous versions you made were so sweet that I had to be vocal about my sadness at losing them in 5. Overall, y'all have done some amazing stuff with 5, and have obviously been listening to your users and implementing features that are very useful. hope you guys get to sleep at some point,

ryan
Dell Studio XPS 8100 Windows 7 64-bit, 10 GB RAM. RME Multiface, Avalon U5 & M5, Distressor, Filter Factory, UC33e, BCR-2000, FCB1010, K-Station, Hr 824 & H120 sub, EZ Bus, V-Drums, DrumKat EZ, basses, guitars, pedals... http://www.ryan-hughes.net

supster

Post by supster » Fri Jul 15, 2005 11:37 pm

Gerhard wrote:Give us some time to think about it. I am hoping we find a way to satisfy everyone's needs. Thanks for bearing with us.

hey, just wanted to let you guys know that even though at times we get passionate about a particular feature or problem on this forum, we (some of us regulars on here) wouldnt be on here everyday unless we were absolutely drop dead blown away by this program and the work that you do.

im sitting here working on a project in the beta and freaking out about all of the new features that are putting a huge smile on my face and making awesome thing possible.

seriously .. wouldnt be able to do with music what im doing without live

thanks and if i ever see you, the bears on me! :)
--

Chris J

Post by Chris J » Sat Jul 16, 2005 10:32 am

supster wrote: the bears on me!
what are bears doing on you ? that must be heavy.