QuNeo

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
3dot...

QuNeo

Post by 3dot... » Sat Sep 29, 2012 9:12 am

can anyone talk me out of getting one...
:mrgreen:
what are the cons...?
because it looks pretty sweet...

http://www.keithmcmillen.com/QuNeo/overview

salatspinatra

Re: QuNeo

Post by salatspinatra » Sat Sep 29, 2012 3:27 pm

you have a 32-bit machine and therefore can't use the editor
you want to use it with clyphx x-control and you can't yet figure out why it's raining havoc on your undo history
you really hoped for location while using directional assignment on the rotaries
You have George Forman gloves and you look like you're undergoing advanced rigamortis when you pinch the x-fader
um...that's about all I can throw your way
How ya'll finding the footprint pads? Is it sliding around your desk? I'm more likely to stick some velcro on the bottom and stick it to a rack. And I figure these guys make a foot pedal with similar materials-I'm not otherwise worried about the build quality-heck, I welcome the low price point.

sounddevisor

Post by sounddevisor » Sat Sep 29, 2012 4:56 pm

I just got mine yesterday! Haven't had a lot of time to play with it yet, but I'll give you my impressions so far.

On the plus side:

• It's crazy small and light, yet feels pretty sturdy. I'm going to look for some sort of case or sleeve for it, but it really looks like it would be fine just kicking around in a messenger bag or backpack with no other case.

• The pads feel pretty good - not as good as my Maschine, which for me has the best feeling/responding pads of anything out there, but very useable. I'm hoping that the QuNeo will be able to replace the Maschine in my live performance set-up, so far that seems pretty likely.

• All the pads/buttons/sliders are programmable, and most of them send out multiple messages.

On the minus side:

• The editor software is okay - useable, but not slick or polished. At the moment there's no way to, say, select ALL the pads and edit them simultaneously, so there's a lot of tedious clicking and entering involved in order to set up a complete new preset.

• This might be a little nit-picky, but even though the construction feels pretty solid, some of the sliders don't feel quite right. I think they are supposed to be flush with the surface of the enclosure, but some of them are slightly recessed, some more than others. At least one of them also FEELS a little different than the others, slightly softer or more squishy. It seems like a minor thing, and given the price point of the unit I'm not expecting the same level of finish as, say, a $3000 synth or anything, but that difference between the various sliders feels a little cheap and cheesy to me.

• The responsiveness of the sliders could be better, it sometimes seems like I need to press fairly hard for them to register a touch. This might be something that can be fixed with better programming in the preset editor - I know there are controls for the sensitivity of the various pads and sliders, so maybe I just need to experiment a little more.

Overall, with less than a day of playing with it, I'm really liking it a lot. Sorry if that doesn't talk you out of getting one, 3dot! :D

thebestdancers

Post by thebestdancers » Sat Sep 29, 2012 5:06 pm

I want

3dot...

Post by 3dot... » Sat Sep 29, 2012 6:12 pm

funken wrote:You are better off with a Launchpad. Cheaper. Controls all your clips, does lots more. 64 buttons. Times infinite. You don't have to worry about the notes being all different velocities because the Launchpad makes them all the same for you. You can do fun things with the Launchpad.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JKjU04LeOi8&feature=plcp
Do you have any experience with it or are you just jivin' ?
I've got a launchpad and know quite well what it's capable of...
I was asking about the Quneo.. thanks though..

3dot...

Post by 3dot... » Sat Sep 29, 2012 6:16 pm

sounddevisor wrote:I just got mine yesterday! Haven't had a lot of time to play with it yet, but I'll give you my impressions so far.

On the plus side:

• It's crazy small and light, yet feels pretty sturdy. I'm going to look for some sort of case or sleeve for it, but it really looks like it would be fine just kicking around in a messenger bag or backpack with no other case.

• The pads feel pretty good - not as good as my Maschine, which for me has the best feeling/responding pads of anything out there, but very useable. I'm hoping that the QuNeo will be able to replace the Maschine in my live performance set-up, so far that seems pretty likely.

• All the pads/buttons/sliders are programmable, and most of them send out multiple messages.

On the minus side:

• The editor software is okay - useable, but not slick or polished. At the moment there's no way to, say, select ALL the pads and edit them simultaneously, so there's a lot of tedious clicking and entering involved in order to set up a complete new preset.

• This might be a little nit-picky, but even though the construction feels pretty solid, some of the sliders don't feel quite right. I think they are supposed to be flush with the surface of the enclosure, but some of them are slightly recessed, some more than others. At least one of them also FEELS a little different than the others, slightly softer or more squishy. It seems like a minor thing, and given the price point of the unit I'm not expecting the same level of finish as, say, a $3000 synth or anything, but that difference between the various sliders feels a little cheap and cheesy to me.

• The responsiveness of the sliders could be better, it sometimes seems like I need to press fairly hard for them to register a touch. This might be something that can be fixed with better programming in the preset editor - I know there are controls for the sensitivity of the various pads and sliders, so maybe I just need to experiment a little more.

Overall, with less than a day of playing with it, I'm really liking it a lot. Sorry if that doesn't talk you out of getting one, 3dot! :D
hey dude ! thanks for the info...
keep us (me) posted about your experience with it...
will be interesting to know what you think of it a week from now..

bartend7

Post by bartend7 » Sat Sep 29, 2012 7:32 pm

I dont have a QuNeo, but i do have a softstep foot controller. so I am here to comment on KMI. I can say that KMI customer service is one of the best i've ever dealt with and they replaced my unit very quickly when it went south. However, i feel like the softstep has been completely abandoned since the QuNeo. The softstep has some serious bug issues in the software which uses over 1 gb of memory, and the leds make a buzzing sound. There has also been zero development in terms of midi scripts for Live or other DAWS, and there is so much potential with that controller. KMI has not addressed these issues and most likely never will. That being said, I still use my softstep constantly as it is very cool. It could just be so completely bad ass with a little more product development.

As for the QuNeo, I'm going to wait and read the KMI forums to see if and what any issues are. If the unit runs well without bugs, I'll probably get one. If the unit has issues/many complaints- I may stay away, fearing the issues will not be completely addressed in the future.

by the way,did you see that video on youtube of MAD Zach pouring a beer on it and throwing it out the window? Pretty cool it still worked.