Moving the computer out of the studio

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
hacktheplanet

Re: Moving the computer out of the studio

Post by hacktheplanet » Thu Nov 03, 2011 1:31 pm

http://www.kvmstuff.com/extenders/usb/c ... ender.html
http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductLi ... er&x=0&y=0
Cat5 kvm extenders seem to run around $300-$500. You can get some really long runs. Probably cheaper and easier than making case mods.

How about this: Put your Mac Pro to sleep while you record the quiet stuff with a cheapo laptop?

Moody

Post by Moody » Thu Nov 03, 2011 2:36 pm

simonlb wrote:
Tone Deft wrote:it's 5V, not 6V.

voltage drop isn't the issue, over 15 feet it would be negligible. it's a signal integrity issue due to the high frequency of the signal, you need more tightly controlled impedances on the line to avoid reflections, it's all scienceshit.
From what I understand it's more about the timing/signalling that USB uses than transmission line effects alone.

Ah well, if it works it works...
You just said the same thing. :P
Ableton’s engineers are hard
at work developing code that will allow our software to predict the future, but we don’t
anticipate having this available until at least the next major release.

southsounder

Post by southsounder » Fri Nov 04, 2011 3:46 am

I think you might be over-engineering your solution here a little bit.

If you're worried about excess heat build-up, why not just try a partial enclosure/gobo-type deal? Maybe something as simple as a couple of pieces of foam or 703 on a hinged board that you put between the CPU and your mic. Fan noise has negligible low frequency content, so it's pretty directional. As long as you've blocked the line of sight you'll probably be fine.

Honestly though, unless you record with an omni pattern mic (not a good plan in a small room anyway) you should be able to control bleed by mic positioning alone. That cardioid pattern is your friend here.

FWIW I use a Blue Mouse in a small bedroom with a Mac Pro on the floor just to the right of my desk, and have never had any issues with fan noise. I do have a carpeted floor though (unfortunately), so I could see where a hardwood floor might present more of an issue. I still think that between a gobo and mic positioning you would be able to solve the problem without spending money on a bunch of electronics.

Plus do you really want to walk all the way to the next room every time you need to load a CDR/DVDR?? :D

Earwax69

Post by Earwax69 » Fri Nov 04, 2011 5:12 am

What I do is to drop a futon over my computer when I do critical monitoring. I also lower my cpu speed to avoid heat and shut 2 of my case fans, only left a silent Scythe fan at the back.

More easy than to drill the walls!!

jellycaster

Post by jellycaster » Fri Nov 04, 2011 12:35 pm

there is something else you could try... it might sound strange and is not exactly an optimal / permanent solution but i have used it to solve a similar problem in the past.

I take a large tray of ice cubes, wrap them in a plastic bag, then a tea towel, then place it under my macbook when it gets too hot.

This works surprisingly well and will give you an hour or so of a nicely cooled processor before the ice cubes melt.

i am sure this suggestion will be roundly mocked (it certainly has been by my [producer friends), but it is a quick, cheap and safe thing to try out.

savyurrecords

Post by savyurrecords » Fri Nov 04, 2011 2:22 pm

VGA is no problem over the distances you are talking about as others have said.

For USB I would try a long cable individually on each device to see if it works for you. A powered hub would be the second thing to try of course.

Funny about the ice cubes. I used to have a Casio CZ-101 that I didn't have the correct power supply for. I had one that was very underpowered for it but it would at least work for a track or so if I stuck the keyboard and the power supply in the freezer for about a half hour.

Khazul

Post by Khazul » Fri Nov 04, 2011 4:59 pm

punching_sandwiches wrote:Hey guys, I'm getting sick of having to strip fan sounds out of all of my recordings. From the shape/size of my studio the only way I can see solving this problem is moving the computer into the room next door and running long VGA + USB cables into the studio for the screen, soundcard and midi controllers.

The cables would have to be pretty long since the place is rented I'm not allowed to drill holes through walls.

Would this work or would I have problems with latency in the USB or VGA?

Thanks guys,

Nathan
Do you have an iPad? If so there are option on that for remote control, remote viewing of PC/Mac (i.e. use the iPad as a tiny wires-free second monitor), remote login etc, so thats what I use when I need no computers around at all, though tbh I very rarely find my MBP too noisy.
Nothing to see here - move along!