what is the Extent of the Audio editing Capabilities in LIVE

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.

what is the Extent of the Audio editing Capabilities in LIVE???

Post by NEWBIE » Sun Apr 07, 2002 6:23 am

do i still need to use an audio editor like soundforge or are Lives editing abilities good enough to edit my loops and one shots. I want to do everything in live and not have to leave the program for anything.

1. can i edit the wav files while monitoring through headphones and have the file that i'm editing be the only one that is coming through in the headphones

2. does live edit destructively or non-destructively

thanx in advance for your help
ps. if format reads this, what laptop and soundcard did you decide on?

FORMAT

Post by FORMAT » Sun Apr 07, 2002 7:21 pm

Hi Newbie

Nice of you remembering that I'm about to get a laptop... I will most certainly go for the new Sony 316x with 16-inch screen and PIV processor.... I've heard very good things about it at the German Keyboards forum; the soundcard will be RME Cardbus Multiface. But this computer is hard to get right now, so I don't have it yet...

As for your questions,
Live does not have a sample editor, you have to specify an external one (Wavelab etc) in the preferences, and that's the one that will open when you click EDIT in the Clip view....
The "only" things you can do in Live are tuning, changing the volume, the loop.... and this is all non-destructive; you can use the same sample over and over and have different settings for each of them.

Hope that has answered your question
FORMAT