DARK music

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
The Carpet Cleaner

Re: DARK music

Post by The Carpet Cleaner » Sat Sep 18, 2010 10:49 am

Instead of recreating what you like, just sample it and be creative with what they "give" you.
You'll get the dark side of what you're sampling, plus you own creativity. So you'll get actually farther than just copying them.
:wink:

glitchrock-buddha

Post by glitchrock-buddha » Sat Sep 18, 2010 5:42 pm

The Carpet Cleaner wrote:Instead of recreating what you like, just sample it and be creative with what they "give" you.
You'll get the dark side of what you're sampling, plus you own creativity. So you'll get actually farther than just copying them.
So you're answer to someone wanting to learn musical expression and playing technique is to sample other people's music and modify it? Come one man, sampling's a cool art, but some people still like to play instruments... :lol:
Professional Shark Jumper.

Pitch Black

Post by Pitch Black » Sat Sep 18, 2010 6:00 pm

The Carpet Cleaner wrote:Instead of recreating what you like, just sample it and be creative with what they "give" you.
He only asked how to do Dark Music. Not "How do I turn my life over to the Dark Side, forever". Keep on topic please. :wink:

dum

Post by dum » Sun Sep 19, 2010 1:07 pm

do heroin for a year or so.

btw I'm now listening to ancient methods trying to spot chord progressions :lol:
Pasha wrote:Thanks dum for being so precise.

leedsquietman

Post by leedsquietman » Sun Sep 19, 2010 11:18 pm

or oxycontin, which is the new fad.
http://soundcloud.com/umbriel-rising http://www.myspace.com/leedsquietmandemos Live 7.0.18 SUITE, Cubase 5.5.2], Soundforge 9, Dell XPS M1530, 2.2 Ghz C2D, 4GB, Vista Ult SP2, legit plugins a plenty, Alesis IO14.

The Carpet Cleaner

Post by The Carpet Cleaner » Mon Sep 20, 2010 5:02 am

True true :mrgreen:
Well, there is also different type of dark music.
There is the cheesy one a-la Thunderdoom stuff. Funny though.
And last night I watched The Shining, and even though the soundtrack is with an orchestra, it's pretty dark and scary ^^

Pitch Black

Post by Pitch Black » Mon Sep 20, 2010 10:02 am

The Carpet Cleaner wrote:True true :mrgreen:

And last night I watched The Shining, and even though the soundtrack is with an orchestra, it's pretty dark and scary ^^
There's some pretty dark synth in there. some of those lines didn't come from anything natural!!!

dun dun DUN DUN
DUN dun DUN DUN

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TgCejsyS0t8

The Carpet Cleaner

Post by The Carpet Cleaner » Mon Sep 20, 2010 1:30 pm

damn right.
Now, please, try to put words on feelings : why doest it sounds scary (but not "cheesy scary")
If someone asked me, I would have an hard time explaining why, finding the words ...

tscoolberth

Post by tscoolberth » Fri May 27, 2011 12:43 am

Any suggestions guys .. on drum loops for purchase. I'm no drummer but just want to buy something to get started. Should I get a "metal" CD and just veer toward the slower bpm loops or just stick with alt rock?

I'm a guitarist, totally new to Ableton and in need of drum loops beyond the freebies that came in my Live 8 Fender edition.

perplex

Post by perplex » Fri May 27, 2011 2:10 am

minor scales + reverb = dark

macmurphy

Post by macmurphy » Fri May 27, 2011 10:48 am

[stm]

Post by [stm] » Fri May 27, 2011 12:11 pm

Hi,

I am a huge Coil fan, and while I have not often specifically attempted to recreate their sound, I have stumbled upon some happy accidents now and then. :)

* Lots of Christopherson-like sounds can be recreated using Collision - Coil loved marimbas.
* Detune stuff! I often found that a "coilish" atmosphere can often emerge from a heavily detuned arp (a decent analog synth emulation helps here), detuned/pitchshifted reverb tails, etc.

Regarding NWW, the eeriness of their work certainly heavily depends on the way they arrange their collages; things to think about with regard to sound could possibly be huge dynamics, and a carefully assembled stereo field.

Lastly, don't to do things the wrong way and make "stylistic errors". Loop things imperfectly; mix them weirdly; use artifacts.

Just my two cents. :)

Edit: Wow, I just realized this is a very old thread that has been bumped. tscoolberth: This is a thread that seems not very closely related to your question, please start your own thread if you would like to discuss drum loop packs, or search for existing threads on the topic.

Cheers,
Stas.

stjohn

Post by stjohn » Fri May 27, 2011 5:44 pm

haha no problem [stm]. good tips there thanks.
btw, if anyone hasnt picked these goodies up:

Coil: ColourSoundOblivion DVD 15&16 free download.

http://www.archive.org/details/CoilColo ... ionDvd1516