Using poly~ -- question about file system paths

Learn about building and using Max for Live devices.
chaircrusher

Using poly~ -- question about file system paths

Post by chaircrusher » Tue Apr 19, 2011 3:23 pm

A naive user question:

If I use a poly~ in a patch (to get a polyphonic Max Live instrument), I have to specify a patch file name, which gets loaded in the poly~ object.

The documentation mentions 'the patcher containing the object must already exist and be found in the Max/MSP search path."

My question -- is it sufficient for the patcher named in poly~ to reside in the same directory as the patcher containing the poly~?

How is this handled in bundled/distributed M4L patches?

pid

Re: Using poly~ -- question about file system paths

Post by pid » Tue Apr 19, 2011 6:24 pm

chaircrusher wrote: My question -- is it sufficient for the patcher named in poly~ to reside in the same directory as the patcher containing the poly~?

How is this handled in bundled/distributed M4L patches?
1- yes. this is the case for any max patcher (abstraction) / resource needed in a parent patch

2- check your dependencies from the view menu, then hit the freeze button. simple.
3dot... wrote: in short.. we live in disappointing times..

chaircrusher

Re: Using poly~ -- question about file system paths

Post by chaircrusher » Wed Apr 20, 2011 3:03 pm

OK, I've been trying to get this working for some time, with no joy.

1. Create patcher to use from poly~ -- based on (but not following exactly) instructions here:
http://cycling74.com/2007/08/20/synth-b ... -maxmsp-4/

Call patcher phasor_voice.maxpat, saved in live project directory.

2. Create M4L instrument, save in same project directory.

3. Create 'poly~ phasor_voice 4' object in instrument. I do not see the inputs/ouputs defined in phasor_voice.maxpat.

4. Open inspector on poly~ -- There's an option to select the patcher file. I browse to where phasor_voice.maxpat is saved, and load it.

5. Live goes into hourglass spinning mode, eventually telling me that Max has crashed.

Is there an actual Max For Live 'create polyphonic instrument' tutorial/example? I'm hitting the wall here.