Robert Henke Granulator

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
ze2be

Re: Robert Henke Granulator

Post by ze2be » Fri Apr 01, 2011 4:52 pm

The latest max plugs presented by Ableton are really nice.

Im going to write a letter to Santa Claus: wishing for a run time at next christmas. :P

ikeaboy

Post by ikeaboy » Fri Apr 01, 2011 4:54 pm

Klinikal wrote:This is great instrument. It puts focus on sound making and that is very important part of making music.
I also enjoyed the video from monolake website (great pads!).

Q: What mic is used for sampling in video?
That video is amazing, the 4 wall projection live performance section at the start looks incredible. Great insight and a great instrument. RH you legend!

Tone Deft

Post by Tone Deft » Fri Apr 01, 2011 6:10 pm

thanks Shell and GRB!

downloaded it last night and promptly passed out. will czech it out this weekend.
In my life
Why do I smile
At people who I'd much rather kick in the eye?
-Moz

glitchrock-buddha

Post by glitchrock-buddha » Fri Apr 01, 2011 8:40 pm

glitchrock-buddha wrote:I wonder if the controls automatically map out to the APC40 or other instant mapping devices... Can't wait to check. Since it's M4L though I guess it would be possible to open up and set the order as you see fit...
Unfortunately the controls do not map out in any order that makes sense on the APC or other control surface. It's pretty random. I believe that can be adjusted as needed within Max though. Never done it myself but it can't be too hard... The only problem is that you'll have to redo it if there are ever minor bugfix updates. It would be so useful if Ableton's devices and max devices could also have a parameter configure function so that you could change the order of parameters.
Professional Shark Jumper.

hoffman2k

Post by hoffman2k » Fri Apr 01, 2011 8:49 pm

glitchrock-buddha wrote:
glitchrock-buddha wrote:I wonder if the controls automatically map out to the APC40 or other instant mapping devices... Can't wait to check. Since it's M4L though I guess it would be possible to open up and set the order as you see fit...
Unfortunately the controls do not map out in any order that makes sense on the APC or other control surface. It's pretty random. I believe that can be adjusted as needed within Max though. Never done it myself but it can't be too hard... The only problem is that you'll have to redo it if there are ever minor bugfix updates. It would be so useful if Ableton's devices and max devices could also have a parameter configure function so that you could change the order of parameters.
- Open Device

- Open Parameter Window from the Menu

- Set the order of the parameters as you wish from the first column

- Save Device (with another name if you don't want it overwritten by an update)

Some parameters seem to have been set up, but only a handful. Its quick to set up if you have an idea of how you want the layout to be. One thing I haven't tested though is if you can go beyond 8 banks of 8 parameters.

henke

Post by henke » Fri Apr 01, 2011 9:05 pm

hoffman2k wrote:
glitchrock-buddha wrote:
- Open Device

Some parameters seem to have been set up, but only a handful. Its quick to set up if you have an idea of how you want the layout to be. One thing I haven't tested though is if you can go beyond 8 banks of 8 parameters.
Unfortunately this will not work, since that parameter not only defines the order of parameters in the automap banks but also the initialization order of the parameters when loading the device and this is quite critical in my case. Changing the numbers here would most likely introduce lots of unwanted side effect when loading the instrument.

I might come up with a better idea how to solve this, but for now: don't touch the order...

Robert

glitchrock-buddha

Post by glitchrock-buddha » Fri Apr 01, 2011 9:18 pm

hoffman2k wrote:
glitchrock-buddha wrote:
- Open Device

Cool, I remember you mentioning that before. Thanks.

One thing I've thought of his how to set up unused parameters (for the sake of an organized layout). For example you've got seven parameters repeated for a couple different modules or sections. It would make sense to have them be the same knob on different banks but perhaps have a knob do nothing. You can't set knobs to nothing with plug-in configuration unfortunately, but with Max for Live devices I'm thinking that all you'd probably have to do would be insert a handful of unused parameters (knobs or whatever which stay hidden), and insert those in the parameter list wherever you want an unused physical knob. Ya?

hoffman2k

Post by hoffman2k » Fri Apr 01, 2011 9:21 pm

henke wrote:Unfortunately this will not work, since that parameter not only defines the order of parameters in the automap banks but also the initialization order of the parameters when loading the device and this is quite critical in my case. Changing the numbers here would most likely introduce lots of unwanted side effect when loading the instrument.

I might come up with a better idea how to solve this, but for now: don't touch the order...

Robert
Ah right. I actually have a solution for that. I have a device with 16 dials that can be mapped to anything. And you can save up to 64 presets of persistent mappings. All I need to make is a preset for the Granulator and people can control it with Automap and OSC. Save it as a Rack preset and it'll work in all sets and granulator presets can be hot-swapped.
I'll put the device (Sixteen Macros 2.0) on maxforlive.com tomorrow.

glitchrock-buddha

Post by glitchrock-buddha » Fri Apr 01, 2011 9:52 pm

hoffman2k wrote:
henke wrote:Unfortunately this will not work, since that parameter not only defines the order of parameters in the automap banks but also the initialization order of the parameters when loading the device and this is quite critical in my case. Changing the numbers here would most likely introduce lots of unwanted side effect when loading the instrument.

Robert
Ah right. I actually have a solution for that. I have a device with 16 dials that can be mapped to anything. And you can save up to 64 presets of persistent mappings. All I need to make is a preset for the Granulator and people can control it with Automap and OSC. Save it as a Rack preset and it'll work in all sets and granulator presets can be hot-swapped.
Ok, won't touch the order of parameters then. But that sounds very useful Hoff!
I was actually going to ask you when the next 16 macros or snapshot morphers were coming out. I assume they have been updated to have the persistent ID's and be able to access parameters insider racks? (Although the second one is probably not a function of the device but I don't know).

Hermanus

Post by Hermanus » Fri Apr 01, 2011 11:53 pm

This device is truly Amazing...

Thanks for sharing it for free, any sample I give to granulator, it turns those into magic :D

andrewbrewer

Post by andrewbrewer » Fri Apr 01, 2011 11:59 pm

hoffman2k wrote: ...
2.0 !!!! I can't wait. That 16 macros is really handy!

sublimelobc

Post by sublimelobc » Sat Apr 02, 2011 12:10 am

Robert- Thanks for sharing Granulator, many of us have paid a lot of money many times over for uninspiring synths...this one is not only free, but incredibly fun and inspiring. It has been several years since I played with something that sounded fresh like this.

aizo

Post by aizo » Sat Apr 02, 2011 7:47 am

Can't you just put it inside an instrument rack and map the dials you want to a macro? That way the APC easily reads it.
ImageImage

hoffman2k

Post by hoffman2k » Sat Apr 02, 2011 7:52 am

aizo wrote:Can't you just put it inside an instrument rack and map the dials you want to a macro? That way the APC easily reads it.
Granulator has more than 8 parameters ;)

3dot...

Post by 3dot... » Sat Apr 02, 2011 10:41 am

AMAZING !!!! Thank you Robert.. gonna have fun with this