Beatport's Fraud With Warner Music and EMI!

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
Khazul

Re: Beatport's Fraud With Warner Music and EMI!

Post by Khazul » Wed Feb 23, 2011 1:18 am

LoopStationZebra wrote:I spent some time on beatport recently and found the entire user experience to be truly, truly WRETCHED.

:x
Yes - a bit at odds with helps Dj find stuff quickly I thought when I last sifted around on that.

So bad in fact I resort to using other sites to find stuff I like, then might use beatport to get a decent quality version if desparate (but urgh at the wav premiums...)
Nothing to see here - move along!

H20nly

Post by H20nly » Wed Feb 23, 2011 1:30 am

Link Your Music is actually a subsidiary of Virgin Records.
LoopStationZebra wrote:it's like a hipster commie pinko manifesto. Rambling. Angry. Nearly divorced from all reality; yet strangely compelling with a ring of truth.

The Phat Conductor

Post by The Phat Conductor » Wed Feb 23, 2011 2:04 am

addictech.com FTW!
ill gates aka the phat conductor
producer, performer + ableton/music teacher

http://www.illgates.com

docprosper

Post by docprosper » Wed Feb 23, 2011 2:33 am

The Phat Conductor wrote:addictech.com FTW!
:mrgreen:
Funk N. Furter wrote:Post properly.
Ableton Live Suite | M4L | Powerbook | Launchpad | APC40 | Faderfox | 2x1200 | Xone:96 | ...
---> http://soundcloud.com/kilcraft

LoopStationZebra

Post by LoopStationZebra » Wed Feb 23, 2011 2:35 am

H20nly wrote:Link Your Music is actually a subsidiary of Virgin Records.
:lol:
I came for the :lol:
But stayed for the :x

beats me

Post by beats me » Wed Feb 23, 2011 3:11 am

Khazul wrote:
beats me wrote:
First off, nobody is getting rich off of music download sales.

Second, the point of a label isn’t as some technicality to get your tracks on places like beatport like it’s a God given right. The point of a label is promotion to get your music heard and/or get you gigs in the process and making money for all involved.

Creating a label over the weekend isn’t sticking it to The Man. It’s further diluting the pool of bullshit that is already out there. So yay, your song rules and you used the loophole to get your track on beatport….and so did 100 other assholes who’s tracks suck. But I guess the warm feeling of being on beatport is all it takes for some producers to feel they’ve arrived.
Kind of reads like your having a poke but I cant see why, or you read something in what i said tahts put you in rant mode :)

:?
I was in a bit of a stink earlier. :P

I just think you shouldn't have too much of either extreme, major labels controlling everything or 100,000 individuals claiming they're a label and distributor.

I also think it's laughable that introducing major labels to beatport is going to make it more of a shit heap then it already is. At least with majors you might find some guilty pleasures, instead of thousands of easily interchangeable tracks filled with done to death cliches of the genre.

Khazul

Post by Khazul » Wed Feb 23, 2011 5:16 am

TBH - given the target audience, I guess must of what will get flogged through beatport by majors will be semi-danceable cheesy shite that makes most of us cringe :P

I cant see it making any real difference to bp though, probably a large chunk of the labels on there may be owned by majors anyway pretending to be indies.
Nothing to see here - move along!

nuperspective
Location: was: accrington [england]. now: melbourne [australia]

Post by nuperspective » Wed Feb 23, 2011 8:59 am

if beatport can get access to some of the smaller labels back catalogues the big labels owned in the 90's, then im all for it. ffrr, perfecto, A&M etc all have major label funding at one time. if i can get HQ copies of some of my vinyl - bring it on.

xzusa8ky

Post by xzusa8ky » Wed Feb 23, 2011 6:35 pm

fisto wrote:you are all idiots, and I'm one too :mrgreen:
we should make some music
We are making Noise! Allmost the same! :lol:
Bitwig/1.0.5 - Ableton/Live 8 - Apple/MacPro-2.8Ghz-8Core-RAID - Samsung/SM-P2770H 27" - Yamaha/HS80M/HS10W - Behringer/BCR/BCF - Allen & Heath/Xone:3D - Sennheiser/HD25-13 - Native Instruments/Komplete9/Traktor Pro

nigel1

Post by nigel1 » Thu Feb 24, 2011 4:07 pm

beats me wrote:Major labels won’t ruin beatport. What ruined beatport, and by extension underground music, is beatport told every producer they had to be on a label and instead of producers finding a respectable label they invented their own label and were up and running within a week churning out their garbage on their “label” with zero quality control. That ruined it and will continue to.
SUPER F'IN CO-SIGN!!!!!!

Amen....

df

nigel1

Post by nigel1 » Thu Feb 24, 2011 4:09 pm

beats me wrote:
Khazul wrote:
beats me wrote:Major labels won’t ruin beatport. What ruined beatport, and by extension underground music, is beatport told every producer they had to be on a label and instead of producers finding a respectable label they invented their own label and were up and running within a week churning out their garbage on their “label” with zero quality control. That ruined it and will continue to.
Kind of - I guess this is what quotas came in to try and fix - garbage labels wont sell etc and so die/get expelled being the theory.
In practice it also means that people are forced into working with labels whether they want to or not - ie defacto record industry behaviour etc that exists to ensure that most of the money goes into the hands of the few in the channels - rather than original artists.

First off, nobody is getting rich off of music download sales.

Second, the point of a label isn’t as some technicality to get your tracks on places like beatport like it’s a God given right. The point of a label is promotion to get your music heard and/or get you gigs in the process and making money for all involved.

Creating a label over the weekend isn’t sticking it to The Man. It’s further diluting the pool of bullshit that is already out there. So yay, your song rules and you used the loophole to get your track on beatport….and so did 100 other assholes who’s tracks suck. But I guess the warm feeling of being on beatport is all it takes for some producers to feel they’ve arrived.

OMFG! Classic...you win today's prize bruv. Good one.

Dennis Ferrer

Reversoulmusic

Post by Reversoulmusic » Fri Feb 25, 2011 12:21 am

http://www.traxsource.com/

THE NOW AND FUTURE OF UNDERGROUND DANCE MUSIC :D