"Beatport" stands for Commercial and Sellout?

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
xzusa8ky

"Beatport" stands for Commercial and Sellout?

Post by xzusa8ky » Sat Feb 12, 2011 6:06 am

Hi

We don't want to start a "War" discussion here but we are really wondering if we are the only ones who thinks that Beatport is a no go....?

Do you think that the policy that Beatport got is the right way to go?

Do you think that Beatport is so important for your business that you will let them say what's good and what's bad?

Do you believe that Beatport are the place to be in today's music electronic bussiness?

We dont!

We don't belive that BP will survive the next couple of years with the policy they are representing now. Why should artist and labels support an distributer who thinks they are controlling how the underground have to look like, and which artists and labels fits into their "Worldview". We think that BP are only supporting their own interrests and not the artists or labels. We think that the quality of BP are totally over hyped. We think that BP are representing a lot of commercial releases which have nothing to do with the underground like you normally would find on the vinyl market. We think that BP is trying to make a monopol on the Electronic music scene worldwide, exactly like the big major labels do.

Sorry Beatport, but we aint gonna support your company anymore, you are outdated................

Do you think the same?

Whats your experiences?

Regards...... :D
Last edited by xzusa8ky on Sat Feb 12, 2011 9:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
Bitwig/1.0.5 - Ableton/Live 8 - Apple/MacPro-2.8Ghz-8Core-RAID - Samsung/SM-P2770H 27" - Yamaha/HS80M/HS10W - Behringer/BCR/BCF - Allen & Heath/Xone:3D - Sennheiser/HD25-13 - Native Instruments/Komplete9/Traktor Pro

seattletruth

Re: "Beatport" stands for Commercial and Sellout?

Post by seattletruth » Sat Feb 12, 2011 6:28 am

care to be more cryptic?

if you have complaints, could you please explain what you're talking about so that others understand? i'd like to know what exactly your specific complaints are... i dont know anything about beat port. peace

martin808

Post by martin808 » Sat Feb 12, 2011 6:39 am

never liked beatport. never bought anything from it. Would never sell anything on it. I like bleep and zero"

t.riggins

Post by t.riggins » Sat Feb 12, 2011 7:27 am

Hi

We don't want to start a "War" discussion here but we are really wondering if we are the only ones who thinks that Beatport is a no go....?

Do you think that Beatport is so important for your business that you will let them say what's good and what's bad?

Do you believe that Beatport are the place to be in today's music electronic bussiness?

We dont!

We don't belive that BP will survive the next couple of years with the policy they are representing now. Why should artist and labels support an distributer who thinks they are controlling how the underground have to look like, and which artists and labels fits into their "Worldview". We think that BP are only supporting their own interrests and not the artists or labels. We think that the quality of BP are totally over hyped. We think that BP are representing a lot of commercial releases which have nothing to do with the underground like you normally would find on the vinyl market. We think that BP is trying to make a monopol on the Electronic music scene worldwide, exactly like the big major labels do.

Sorry Beatport, but we aint gonna support your company anymore, you are outdated................

Do you think the same?

Whats your experiences?

Regards...... :(
Actually I THINK I see what you're getting at. As I cannot personally say anything but I have a really good colleague who had some releases on Beatport but their label got dropped. And he wrote an article a while back. I'll email his facebook and post a link to it. Anyway though the main thing he said with beatport is they set a sales quota for all artists/labels, and its a decent reasonable sales quota at 1st......

But if you don't make it......the quota gets higher and very hard to make up, that if u don't meet, you get a probation period. Then eventually you get dropped from beatport, and that's what happened to him.......he got dropped, as well as some other artists from the label- Addictive Vibes Records.

Anyway the main thing he said with beatport is they are more concerned with "Sales" rather than just music itself. So if you make a ton of sales, they keep u.......if not, they drop u. Hence why you see a lot of commercial or "major label" releases. To them the underground or oldschool vinyl music......despite how amazing they are and how many memories they bring back......they don't generate the sales Beatport wants so they don't have much of it for sale.

If there are other artists here with releases on beatport they can give their 2cents as well.......like I said I'll have to get the link to that article from my colleague.

The Leveller

Post by The Leveller » Sat Feb 12, 2011 8:21 am

Not at all.

Beatport provides the perfect platform for all desperate electronic musicians, I mean, who on earth wouldn't want their track to be one of only 16,000 other new releases to be available on Beatport that week?

The world is waiting for YOUR track now!

:lol:

xzusa8ky

Post by xzusa8ky » Sat Feb 12, 2011 9:07 am

t.riggins wrote:
Hi

We dont!

Do you think the same?

Whats your experiences?

Regards...... :(
Actually I THINK I see what you're getting at. As I cannot personally say anything but I have a really good colleague who had some releases on Beatport but their label got dropped. And he wrote an article a while back. I'll email his facebook and post a link to it. Anyway though the main thing he said with beatport is they set a sales quota for all artists/labels, and its a decent reasonable sales quota at 1st......

But if you don't make it......the quota gets higher and very hard to make up, that if u don't meet, you get a probation period. Then eventually you get dropped from beatport, and that's what happened to him.......he got dropped, as well as some other artists from the label- Addictive Vibes Records.

Anyway the main thing he said with beatport is they are more concerned with "Sales" rather than just music itself. So if you make a ton of sales, they keep u.......if not, they drop u. Hence why you see a lot of commercial or "major label" releases. To them the underground or oldschool vinyl music......despite how amazing they are and how many memories they bring back......they don't generate the sales Beatport wants so they don't have much of it for sale.

If there are other artists here with releases on beatport they can give their 2cents as well.......like I said I'll have to get the link to that article from my colleague.

Nice post and interresting THX :D
Bitwig/1.0.5 - Ableton/Live 8 - Apple/MacPro-2.8Ghz-8Core-RAID - Samsung/SM-P2770H 27" - Yamaha/HS80M/HS10W - Behringer/BCR/BCF - Allen & Heath/Xone:3D - Sennheiser/HD25-13 - Native Instruments/Komplete9/Traktor Pro

xzusa8ky

Post by xzusa8ky » Sat Feb 12, 2011 9:08 am

The Leveller wrote:Not at all.

Beatport provides the perfect platform for all desperate electronic musicians, I mean, who on earth wouldn't want their track to be one of only 16,000 other new releases to be available on Beatport that week?

The world is waiting for YOUR track now!

:lol:
:D

xzusa8ky

Post by xzusa8ky » Sat Feb 12, 2011 9:12 am

seattletruth wrote:care to be more cryptic?

if you have complaints, could you please explain what you're talking about so that others understand? i'd like to know what exactly your specific complaints are... i dont know anything about beat port. peace
I am not complaining, i am just curious to see and hear what other artist or labels are thinking about BP. To your question about Beatport, they claim to be the leader in electronic music on the inet.

timothyallan

Post by timothyallan » Sat Feb 12, 2011 10:37 am

Beatport tries to cull the 'nobody will release my track so I'll start my own label' type of people by enforcing the sales quota's. I don't think it's because they are being dicks, I think it's because they
A. Are a business
B. Don't want to be even more inundated with even more 'crappy'* music from everyone and their dog.

*crappy is relative depending on who you are.

If you don't like it, go sell somewhere else, or just don't buy there? I have never bought anything from iTunes, but I don't come onto a forum and slam them publicly trying to rally the troops?

TL/DR They are a business. They operate like a business.
Last edited by timothyallan on Sat Feb 12, 2011 12:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

simpli.cissimus

Post by simpli.cissimus » Sat Feb 12, 2011 11:59 am

Better them then the one with the phone...

By the way, the I in the name off all their products tells it already.
That's the one they care and who's making the rule.
No! I'll never use the Push-App Live 9 !!!

YILA

Post by YILA » Sat Feb 12, 2011 12:20 pm

you just have to use a middle man to get on it.. I've been waiting 5 months for a remix to go on from a middle man.. It's on every other site just fine
Scan i5 in the studio. Dual core Pc laptop, 13inch macbookpro,RME fireface 800,live 8.1,operator. drum machines Myspace Soundcloud Youtube Twitter

Forge.

Post by Forge. » Sat Feb 12, 2011 1:36 pm

The label I've been releasing on uses a distributor who then distributes to something like over 300 different online music stores apparently, including beatport and iTunes..... you just want to get on a good label you like, then there isn't a problem

if you're trying to be a label yourself then you're really taking on a big task and competing with billions of other people so there has to be some way of regulating that.....

and actually I really like it for the tribally house music I'm into.... I find I usually end up hitting the limit for my 'crate' and then gradually having to whittle it down to a few tracks over time because there's usually too much to choose from...

I think it probably has more to do with what you're into - i.e. what you'd call 'underground'....

when it was vinyl the system was similar - they had a distributor which got the vinyl into the stores, only difference was they had to physically ship big chunks of plastic which cost a lot more....

you're kind of shooting the messenger really - they are just a store front.... I don't know what music you are into but they stock all the best house/tech labels and artists that I have been into since they were on vinyl so I don't see where the problem is really

Frederik654

Post by Frederik654 » Sat Feb 12, 2011 2:19 pm

I started buying tracks on WhatPeoplePlay recently. I don't like how Beatport is mixing up genres and I need to browse like 100 tracks to find 2 decent ones. On WhatPeoplePlay it's a little bit better as it seems for now.
Live8 Suite, Logic Pro X, µTonic, Synplant, U-He ACE, U-He Zebra2.x, U-He Uhbik's, U-He DIVA, Tal Bassline, GURU, Genelec 8040's, SPL Control, Serato, Traktor, TouchAble

MacGuffin

Post by MacGuffin » Sat Feb 12, 2011 2:46 pm

Beatport has its good points and bad points, but as Timothy Allan said it is a business and users don't want to browse through millions of n00b tracks.

I'm pretty noob, release-wise, only a few remixes I did for small labels (including a non-profit one), and they have been available on beatport for years. More underground than this is high-school kids on myspace. I mean, what good is a label if they can't promote a release?

I also find that Whatpeopleplay's preview system is much better and the audio quality is better, etc.. They have all the underground artists that I like (when I can't find it on vinyl)

Tarekith

Post by Tarekith » Sat Feb 12, 2011 3:32 pm

I wish they were even more selective to be honest, like records used to be, it was a lot harder to get into those than Beatport.