Supatrigga presets or techniques?

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
hambone1

Supatrigga presets or techniques?

Post by hambone1 » Wed May 25, 2005 9:29 am

I just "discovered" Supatrigga. It seems pretty cool, and I can see its usefulness, but I couldn't seem to get anything useful out of it.

Anyone want to share some presets or techniques?

Cheers!

P.S. Anyone downloading stuff from this guy give up a PayPal donation! It's great to see things like this while Waves charge $600+ for one plug-in!

Hedroom

Post by Hedroom » Wed May 25, 2005 11:05 am

If you like the random chopping up thing keep all the "instant" parameters on zero, set the probabilities to values you like and assign a knob/fader to "rearrange %" to turn the effect on/off to various degrees.

If you like more controlled repeating stutters then just assign something to "instant repeat", and maybe something to "instant reverse" too.

nuperspective
Location: was: accrington [england]. now: melbourne [australia]

Post by nuperspective » Wed May 25, 2005 11:44 am

i'm in the same boat. i'm just starting to use it and get useful stuff out of it. is there a way to limit the grain function. meaning, i always end up turning the controller its assigned to too far and everything goes a little mad. can you set it to 'punch' into a value from a button rather than a knob?

cheers

Hedroom

Post by Hedroom » Wed May 25, 2005 1:40 pm

Depends on your hardware. On my Kenton Control Freak I can make a button toggle between one value and another which I set in the hardware.

smart1123

Post by smart1123 » Wed May 25, 2005 3:41 pm

I put it on my drum master assign granularity and rearrange prob to a knob each, put the instants on switches and got to town, lots of good fun.
15" TiBook 1.5 GHz 1Gig RAM, MOTU Traveller, Live 5, Reaktor 5, Alesis Micron, Yamaha EX-5, UC-33e, BCR2000, Lexicon MPX-1, Orbit, Event 20/20's

ikeaboy

Post by ikeaboy » Wed May 25, 2005 3:49 pm

Best free plug ever? Obvious idea that can be quiet transparent and subtle in use or full on 'Verrrrring'

I use it in a send set to pre-fade, i have two button above each channel fader (BCF2000) one transmits 0 or 105 values to the Suppatrigga send, the other is set to the same midi CC and channel as the channel faders- this allows me to quickly "mute" a channel with a button (the button actually sends a zero to the channel volume fader) while the pre fader is still available.

I have another four faders on the BCF set to Repeate, Reverse, Grain and Suppatrigger return volume.

All Instants are set to zero, i dont use slow.

This way
one suppatrigga is available to one or more channels
it can be heard mixed or sepearate to the dry feeding signal
If i like it going a bit mental i can adjust its position in the mix
I have full realtime control over my favorite parameters.

ST needs to be tweaked in use. 'on-off' controls get a little obvious

::mic-minimal::

Post by ::mic-minimal:: » Wed May 25, 2005 8:22 pm

suptrig is great for fills, take some fills natural drum fillsj, jazz fills and run them through for endless variations, play with the tempos also, nother thing stack up several suptrigs on top of one another, you can create some serious beats with this app, record to another track and edit with warp markers to taste....beats that no one else has.
for the love of Live

Diskclaimer

Post by Diskclaimer » Wed May 25, 2005 11:51 pm

::mic-minimal:: wrote:suptrig is great for fills, take some fills natural drum fillsj, jazz fills and run them through for endless variations, play with the tempos also, nother thing stack up several suptrigs on top of one another, you can create some serious beats with this app, record to another track and edit with warp markers to taste....beats that no one else has.

WOWwwWWw 8O

Diskclaimer

Post by Diskclaimer » Wed May 25, 2005 11:55 pm

ikeaboy wrote:

one suppatrigga

could You explain any further -- Pretend Im a 3rd grader.

.als?
.avi tutorial?

ikeaboy

Post by ikeaboy » Thu May 26, 2005 1:14 am

i should of mentioned to begin with that i'm refering to a live Live, live -Live situation

Sorry my posts are a bit rushed, i meant one suppatrigga in a send that any channel can use. Suppatrigga is geared towards being an insert (track) effect, in that you don't usually want the blend of the effect and the dry signal like you do with sends, because there would be too much going on in the sound. I was descibing how i used a suppatrigga in a send that any channel could use. to kill the dry signal i didn't use mute because that would of killed the send feed as well. Instread I assigned a button on my controller to send a 0 or 105 (around the notch mark on abletons mixer strip) effectively muting the channel instantly and keeping the send going. its just quicker for flicking between "Normal drums" - "Suppatrigga drums" in anyway you like, rather than having to drag at a fader.

Maybe this is only usefull to my way of doing things :roll: :lol:

ikeaboy

Post by ikeaboy » Thu May 26, 2005 1:23 am

Diskclaimer wrote:
ikeaboy wrote:

one suppatrigga

.als?
.avi tutorial?
I haven't a baldy about putting together tutorials unfortunatly. I've a gig on Friday and I'm using this stuff so it's in the front off my mind. I may well post on Saturday " Discard everything i've said, i was booed out off the stage (sturdy table?? :lol: )"

mikemc

cool vst combos in conjunction with supatrigga

Post by mikemc » Thu May 26, 2005 9:03 pm

The things I'm mentioning are all on http://kvraudio.com

Use supatrigga directly on your drum track, I don't like the "slow" setting so much, set this to 0-5%. Reverse probabilty set 10%-20%, random higher, silence prob lower 0-15%.

Combos of these others on returns xfaded A/B, fun: There is a free VST called "discipline" that is also a repattern/chopper thing, using it with supatrigga is fun. Backman VST, also. Cyanide, donationware, donated for it, very fun. Metal Mickey, kind of a wild munger/filler, and of course the ever popular Live ping pong delay.

(edit) yeesh, sorry man I'm on windows, so some of these may not be avail, but some are I'm sure.
UTENZIL a tool... of the muse.

Machinate

Post by Machinate » Thu May 26, 2005 9:14 pm

Diskclaimer wrote:
ikeaboy wrote: one suppatrigga

.als?
.avi tutorial?
I could hook you up with a quick setup, if you want. PM me.

a.
mbp 2.66, osx 10.6.8, 8GB ram.

tricil

Post by tricil » Thu May 26, 2005 10:46 pm

I have a cool dry/wet xfading trick i posted here:

http://www.ableton.com/forum/viewtopic. ... 39a1725511

kabuki

Post by kabuki » Fri May 27, 2005 3:53 pm

IMPORTANT: If you are on a Mac, DON'T use the AU version. The VST has a noticably quicker response.

Here's a good trick for vocals/acapellas:
1. Set up the ST as an insert. Leave it ON
2. Settings are as follows: Rate: 32 or 64 assign to a knob/slider; ALL other settings to zereo; Assign Instant Repeat to a button, key, or pad (on/off message).

Trigger the button on vocals for a really nice stretch glitch effect. The gigher the rate number, the smoother.

The good thing about this trick is that when you turn off the effect, the audio is still playing to the correct time/quant.

ALSO: Do a search for "Supatrigga" in the tip/tricks forum. Years worth of tips there...
15" PB 2.5 Ghz, 4 Gig RAM, 750 GB HD, Live 9 still no cue points or program change messages?!?. Doesn't do shit.