Nord Lead users question about modwheel

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
starving student

Nord Lead users question about modwheel

Post by starving student » Tue Aug 24, 2010 9:38 pm

so the lead is like 4 synths in one right, but are the modwheel and shift button parameters global?
it seems like my modwheel is effecting all 4 voices no matter which voice is selected for editing so I can't have the lfo effected on 1 voice, and the formant on another?

3dot...

Re: Nord Lead users question about modwheel

Post by 3dot... » Wed Aug 25, 2010 12:12 am

been a long time since I parted with mine...
but if I remember correctly..
you can 'assign' the modwheel to many parameters in different 'layers'...
(it'll affect the ones that are currently playing)
you can even control the 'ranges' of the modulation in a really cool and intuitive way...
the manual is your friend.. there are some things about the Nord Lead that are not obvious by just looking at it..
I miss it...

starving student

Post by starving student » Wed Aug 25, 2010 6:51 am

3dot... wrote:been a long time since I parted with mine...
but if I remember correctly..
you can 'assign' the modwheel to many parameters in different 'layers'...
(it'll affect the ones that are currently playing)
you can even control the 'ranges' of the modulation in a really cool and intuitive way...
the manual is your friend.. there are some things about the Nord Lead that are not obvious by just looking at it..
I miss it...
thanks 3dot, it sounds like you're talking about other assignments outside of the shift parameter buttons, and all 4 layers are doing there thang like they're suppose to but it's only the shift parameters that seem like they're repsonding globaly, i love this synth

3dot...

Post by 3dot... » Wed Aug 25, 2010 8:13 am

the keyboard on the NL is great .. best synth keyboard I've played...
plus the controls are layed out in a very intuitive and straight-forward way.. (hardly any 'sub-menus' etc.)
so it doubles as a great controller for almost any soft-synth out there..
the downside to the NL for me was that somehow it's always very dominant in the mix.. it has it's own (and very digital) character...
makes it great for jamming with a band though... not so much for tracking...

necho

Post by necho » Wed Aug 25, 2010 8:48 am

When I'm rich, I'm going to get a Nord Wave.

@3dot: Interested in what you say about the Nord dominating the mix.... is it similar to Sylenth1 in that respect? I found I had to EQ the fuck out of my Sylenth1 patches to fit them in.... guess the weight of that synth didn't really fit my sound. (it sounded great though!)

I've always wanted a Nord Lead.... I've played with them a bit and I owned a Modular G2 and a Micro Modular briefly... always thought the VA engine sounded pretty good... when you say it sounds "digital", what are you comparing it to? genuine analog or other VA engines?
Last edited by necho on Wed Aug 25, 2010 1:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
_________
sigs suck.

starving student

Post by starving student » Wed Aug 25, 2010 9:14 am

I think I'm gonna start calling it the catch 22 cause I haven't had it long and I haven't had the time to get used to it yet like I would like so right now I'm not hitting just the sounds I'm going for, but I've never had an instrument that turned out so many happy accidents it's rediculous, I definitely see what you
mean by it's own sound but I'm diggin it alot. I think this is the synth you keep when you get evicted :lol:

3dot...

Post by 3dot... » Wed Aug 25, 2010 3:43 pm

necho wrote:When I'm rich, I'm going to get a Nord Wave.

@3dot: Interested in what you say about the Nord dominating the mix.... is it similar to Sylenth1 in that respect? I found I had to EQ the fuck out of my Sylenth1 patches to fit them in.... guess the weight of that synth didn't really fit my sound. (it sounded great though!)

I've always wanted a Nord Lead.... I've played with them a bit and I owned a Modular G2 and a Micro Modular briefly... always thought the VA engine sounded pretty good... when you say it sounds "digital", what are you comparing it to? genuine analog or other VA engines?
I'm comparing to other VAs...
and by 'digital' I mean constrained oscillator sound and harsh hi-freqs...also the filter was a bit 'weak' in my book..
(of course it could be tweaked very easily to sound very Organic)
but that is also it's charm.. it doesn't 'pretend' to be/sound analog...
for the sum of the NL parts.. it is a great and very expressive instrument..
very fun...
a true classic...

me_lindsay

Post by me_lindsay » Wed Oct 27, 2010 6:56 am

I have the NL2. When layering the mod wheel and pitch bend are global.