APC40 question about operating devices on send channels.

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
Trat

APC40 question about operating devices on send channels.

Post by Trat » Sat Oct 23, 2010 11:11 am

I have some effects grouped in my send channels and I mapped some parameters to the 8 macro controls in the rack. How do I control those parameters with my APC40? Can't seem to navigate to it: don't these get auto assigned to the lower row of 8 knobs?
Serato vs. TFS: who cares?
Mac vs. PCs: who cares?

JuanSOLO

Re: APC40 question about operating devices on send channels.

Post by JuanSOLO » Sat Oct 23, 2010 5:43 pm

I usually map a keyboard "key" or a button directly to the title bar of the Rack I want my device control knobs to take over.

Trat

Post by Trat » Sat Oct 23, 2010 6:45 pm

I'm not getting the red square around my return channels... I'm running 8.2.1.

JuanSOLO

Post by JuanSOLO » Sat Oct 23, 2010 6:49 pm

Check your MIDI settings in Liv'e Preferences.

Make sure you have the APC40 selected in the Control Surface tabs, and Check Track and Remote on IN's and OUT's for the APC40.

Trat

Post by Trat » Sat Oct 23, 2010 6:54 pm

JuanSOLO wrote:I usually map a keyboard "key" or a button directly to the title bar of the Rack I want my device control knobs to take over.
Is this like a shortcut for the APC40 to jump to the rack? How do you set that up?

outershpongolia

Post by outershpongolia » Sat Oct 23, 2010 7:00 pm

Trat wrote:
JuanSOLO wrote:I usually map a keyboard "key" or a button directly to the title bar of the Rack I want my device control knobs to take over.
Is this like a shortcut for the APC40 to jump to the rack? How do you set that up?
Basically you have track select for 1-8 and Master, but you're right, no quick way to jump to your sends and control those racks - I've been in the same predicament.. ( unless you use less than 8 tracks - then you should be able to hit the appropriate Track select for the return track cause it'll be at the end of the order )

JuanSOLO is suggesting you map the title bar of your sends to a KEY so you can press that key and voila, your device control will switch right to it (or maybe you'd want to map the key to the title bar of the actual rack - not sure if one works any better)

I personally have the title bar for sends A, B, and C mapped to PLAY, STOP, RECORD - works out great because I don't use these in a live sitution and ALSO I wouldn't want to accidentally press any of these 3 buttons or else it might explode, feel me?

JuanSOLO

Post by JuanSOLO » Sat Oct 23, 2010 7:02 pm

Not a short cut as much as a sure shot.

Like if I have 3 different Racks in a Track. Lets say the first one is an Instrument Rack with a synth, and the second Rack is an FX Rack I made. I will "MIDI MAP" a button to the Title Bar of the 1st Rack, and "MIDI MAP" a different button to the title bar of the FX Rack (2nd one). Now when I push one of those buttons it will focus on that rack with the Blue Hand.

Generally I have my APC40's "Device Control" Buttons mapped to title bars of different racks as opposed to the default functionality. This way my device control knobs focus on what I want with the push of a button.

Or you can use KEY MAPPING and your computers keyboard.

I do this on Racks in the return tracks, or in grouped tracks to focus on them without moving the red box around.

JuanSOLO

Post by JuanSOLO » Sat Oct 23, 2010 7:06 pm

outershpongolia wrote:
JuanSOLO is suggesting you map the title bar of your sends

I'm suggesting to map to the racks title bar, not the top of the Track. However the top of the track works too, it's just not my method. I dont use the "device control" buttons in default, so I dont arrow left and right. I get lost doing shit like that. I map buttons DIRECTLY to racks.

For me it's mindless, and worry free that way.

outershpongolia

Post by outershpongolia » Sat Oct 23, 2010 7:18 pm

JuanSOLO wrote:
outershpongolia wrote:
JuanSOLO is suggesting you map the title bar of your sends

I'm suggesting to map to the racks title bar, not the top of the Track. However the top of the track works too, it's just not my method. I dont use the "device control" buttons in default, so I dont arrow left and right. I get lost doing shit like that. I map buttons DIRECTLY to racks.

For me it's mindless, and worry free that way.
word, it works fine for me because I only have one rack per track - but with multiple racks your method is more of a sure shot, cheers!

JuanSOLO

Post by JuanSOLO » Sat Oct 23, 2010 7:26 pm

ShelLuser wrote:Under normal circumstances this is not the behavior you'd want for the APC because its not an instrument, as such your midi tracks shouldn't respond to keys you press on the APC.

However if your using Hanz's script and utilizing Note Modes and assigning MIDI channels etc, selecting TRACK in the preferences might be handy. But this is not normal circumstances, but it is FUN! And turns the APC40 into more of an instrument.

Trat

Post by Trat » Sat Oct 23, 2010 7:30 pm

outershpongolia wrote: I personally have the title bar for sends A, B, and C mapped to PLAY, STOP, RECORD - works out great because I don't use these in a live sitution and ALSO I wouldn't want to accidentally press any of these 3 buttons or else it might explode, feel me?
This is actually a great idea: I too never use those buttons for play, stop, record.

Thanks for the advice: was looking for the answer to my question all day before opening a topic here. Glad I did.

zumba

Post by zumba » Tue Apr 26, 2011 4:26 pm

Hey i like a lot of these ideas....
i was using keys to go right to the return racks but i like the idea if using playstoprecord....
but how?? tried mapping midi and it did not work.... any suggestions?
thanks
s;]
spread the sound

JadedEvan

Post by JadedEvan » Fri Nov 18, 2011 7:16 pm

outershpongolia wrote:
Trat wrote:
Basically you have track select for 1-8 and Master, but you're right, no quick way to jump to your sends and control those racks - I've been in the same predicament.. ( unless you use less than 8 tracks - then you should be able to hit the appropriate Track select for the return track cause it'll be at the end of the order )

JuanSOLO is suggesting you map the title bar of your sends to a KEY so you can press that key and voila, your device control will switch right to it (or maybe you'd want to map the key to the title bar of the actual rack - not sure if one works any better)

I personally have the title bar for sends A, B, and C mapped to PLAY, STOP, RECORD - works out great because I don't use these in a live sitution and ALSO I wouldn't want to accidentally press any of these 3 buttons or else it might explode, feel me?
A good workaround to this issue. Thanks for the tip.

ambientidm

Post by ambientidm » Sat Nov 19, 2011 7:40 am

Trat wrote:
outershpongolia wrote: I personally have the title bar for sends A, B, and C mapped to PLAY, STOP, RECORD - works out great because I don't use these in a live sitution and ALSO I wouldn't want to accidentally press any of these 3 buttons or else it might explode, feel me?
This is actually a great idea: I too never use those buttons for play, stop, record.

Thanks for the advice: was looking for the answer to my question all day before opening a topic here. Glad I did.
great idea!