Narrowed down audio interface list....help me decide

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
carpekd

Narrowed down audio interface list....help me decide

Post by carpekd » Thu Oct 21, 2010 1:54 am

Ok, so i've narrowed down my list of audio interfaces that i'm looking at. I only need an interface with at least 2 mic pre-amps, at least one instrument input, at least 1 line input, and firewire connectivity. Here's the list I've narrowed it down to (in no particular order):

Focusrite Saffire PRO 24 DSP
Presonus Firestudio Mobile
M-Audio profire 610

I'm running a win7 64 bit PC. My main concern with the interface is the drivers and the mic pre-amp quality... You guys have an opinion on these? I'm also open to opinions on other similar interfaces that you've had experience with (in this price range...can't afford an RME)

Thanks

hps909

Re: Narrowed down audio interface list....help me decide

Post by hps909 » Thu Oct 21, 2010 5:03 am

TC impact twin? http://www.tcelectronic.com/impacttwin.asp great pre's for an interface
macbook pro 2.5 i5 os 10.12 , TC Electronik Konnekt 48, Live 9, Cubase 9, event 20/20, Waldorf Blofeld, roland tb-03, roland Jx-03, korg mikrokontrol, novation nocturn, akai lpd8

spacecat

Post by spacecat » Thu Oct 21, 2010 6:05 am

maudio (avid) driver continuity is slacking...

anyway, if you have a local music store - ask them if you can test your interface of choice for a week or so... see which one works for you and go with that one=)

HFTS

Post by HFTS » Thu Oct 21, 2010 7:39 am

carpekd wrote:Ok, so i've narrowed down my list of audio interfaces that i'm looking at. I only need an interface with at least 2 mic pre-amps, at least one instrument input, at least 1 line input, and firewire connectivity. Here's the list I've narrowed it down to (in no particular order):

Focusrite Saffire PRO 24 DSP
Presonus Firestudio Mobile
M-Audio profire 610

I'm running a win7 64 bit PC. My main concern with the interface is the drivers and the mic pre-amp quality... You guys have an opinion on these? I'm also open to opinions on other similar interfaces that you've had experience with (in this price range...can't afford an RME)

Thanks

Focusrite has GREAT sounding pre's

Presonus is pretty good for a first interface and pretty straightforward

M-audio, not as good in the pre department as Focusrite but beats it in its A/D/A converters.

These are very very very personal opinion though... Good suggestion to get to a local music store and test them out for YOUR ears.

All i can say, if this is for a studio.. Spend the extra money. You may think your saving money now, but in the long run it'll pay off to have spent a pretty penny for an interface that is powerful enough for your needs (and is expandable) and you can use for a few years.

leedsquietman

Post by leedsquietman » Thu Oct 21, 2010 8:00 am

The pres in the M-Audio Profire 610 and 2626 and Fast Track ULTRA R8 are actually pretty good too and better than older or lower priced M-Audio, but their drivers can be hit and miss.

You could also consider Echo's Audiofire Pre 8
http://www.echoaudio.com/Products/FireW ... /index.php

They typically have great drivers and the pres are comparable with everything else you listed (Focusrite being slightly the best, but their drivers are not always so great).

If you really want the best over budget, then go for the RME Fireface UC (it's USB 2.0 but performs better than firewire, otherwise the FF400 it's based on is firewire only) (or if you are loaded and want loads of I/O, the new Fireface UFX), which is low latency, has (typically) great drivers and great pres and conversion.
http://soundcloud.com/umbriel-rising http://www.myspace.com/leedsquietmandemos Live 7.0.18 SUITE, Cubase 5.5.2], Soundforge 9, Dell XPS M1530, 2.2 Ghz C2D, 4GB, Vista Ult SP2, legit plugins a plenty, Alesis IO14.

Peropaal

Post by Peropaal » Thu Oct 21, 2010 8:05 am

Just want to bash the TC impact twin, the drivers are shitty. The interface is great, but the software ruins it. That's too bad really!

Saphire 24 sounds like a winner.

---
http://alonetone.com/licoresse

Dean Corrie

Post by Dean Corrie » Thu Oct 21, 2010 8:50 am

Hello,
I have a Profire 610 which works on win7 64bit no probs. I must add they haven't released a driver for it since last year (?) which I believe is common for m-audio, though I have had no driver issues. I don't really record with it as I use my Motu 828mk2. I just run Pro Tools MP (Piece of crap but need it for editing Uni recordings!) with it and playback from my laptop with Live. It does the job.
Cheers,
Dean

GUY SMILEY

Post by GUY SMILEY » Thu Oct 21, 2010 11:20 am

metric halo ULN-2.
Amazing piece of equipment you'll never regret buying

ekwipt

Post by ekwipt » Thu Oct 21, 2010 12:45 pm

Mbe do a bit of research on the Steinberg mr816. I've only heard great things about it. Problem might be the FireWire interface and the laptop/computer you're running

http://www.steinberg.net/en/products/ha ... mr816.html

carpekd

Post by carpekd » Thu Oct 21, 2010 2:51 pm

ekwipt wrote:Mbe do a bit of research on the Steinberg mr816. I've only heard great things about it. Problem might be the FireWire interface and the laptop/computer you're running

http://www.steinberg.net/en/products/ha ... mr816.html
I'm using a TI based firewire card... what sort of problem are you referring to?

McQ714

Post by McQ714 » Thu Oct 21, 2010 7:54 pm

get a RME Fireface UFX, it's awesome. it has all that you need and then some.

and it's way out of your price range not to mention it hasn't been released yet!!!

how about the Babyface??? it's not much more expensive than your other options. save up for it. you won't regret getting a RME interface.

ekwipt

Post by ekwipt » Fri Oct 22, 2010 7:14 am

You should be fine then

CR78

Post by CR78 » Fri Oct 22, 2010 12:28 pm

Echo Audiofire4 should be on that list.

Drivers, Drivers, Drivers.

necho

Post by necho » Fri Oct 22, 2010 2:19 pm

Gotta love how people ignore the OP's list and suggest interfaces that cost well over a grand.

Yeah - we'd all love a UFX. And a four bedroom house with a dedicated studio out the back.

I'd go for the Focusrite if you're after decent pre's.

Presonus are hit-and-miss when it comes to reliability and support. And I wouldn't go near m-audio.
_________
sigs suck.

maze23a

Post by maze23a » Fri Oct 22, 2010 2:28 pm

Got an TC Impact Twin and really like it.
It#s true that there were issues with the drivers
but they got an update a couple a weeks ago and it seems like
for most people it's running really fine now.
Myself,i had never any problems and i really like it,
and if the pre's are important for you i think it's one of the best!