free midi plug ins for live

Share your favorite Ableton Live tips, tricks, and techniques.
palomo

Post by palomo » Fri May 13, 2005 6:51 am

hi clearscreen
the faderfox track control stuff sounds really handy. i was using daniels plugin last night for the first time in a rehearsal and that was probably the only thing i thought it lacked. to trigger things i still need a button for each track, or only use scenes. is it possbile to incorporate this daniel? i for some reason assumed it was just a limitation inherent to synthedit, but if it can be done it'd be great...

I currently add an assignable shift button to the joystick
doing this way I could add get 22 trig source with a 12 buttons joystick (maybe 8x2 more with an activ POV pad, if you see what i mean...)

about the fader fox I'm not sure to understand what you want (you know i'm french... nobody's perfect)
if i add a 2nd joystick mode where 2 buttons (freely assignable) could be set up and down midi channels step by step , did it does the trick?

does this 2 buttons work only with trigger note? with midicc? with both?
ioes this 2 buttons work on axis section?

you could get 16 trig possibilties with one button (but you have to keep envelope values)

Hi Michael-sw
How does your plug handle relative CC changes?
here too, i'm not sure to understand

I use this module
http://www.dehaupt.com/SynthEdit/MIDICo ... rators.htm
input values=0-10 one midi cc step=10/127

I could send to you the plug container that set the midi CC value
I got a giant headache with it... but it's only aritmethic
maybe we have to organize an exhange in a middle of a bridge (':)')

Michael-SW

Post by Michael-SW » Fri May 13, 2005 9:40 am

Regarding relative MIDI CCs: When you change a parameter in Live with a joystick, you generally want to move the stick upwards and have the param move upwards. But when you release the stick, you dont want the parameter snap back to it's center value. Rather you want the stick to send out changes that are relative movements to the current parameter value. When you relese the stick, you want the parameter to stay where it is.

The way to do that is to assign the controller as a relative MIDI controller in Live. But that is not enough. You must also be very careful about the CC values you send out. In signed bit mode (set in Live) a CC value of 1 is a small move upward while 65 is a small move downward, 2/66 is larger moves etc. You generally don't want to go higher than 7/72 because then you get large parameter jumps. Also, while 65 is the smallest move down, 64 is the largest move up, so you need to be very careful that you don't accidently have any 64s going out.

palomo

Post by palomo » Fri May 13, 2005 1:09 pm

Rather you want the stick to send out changes that are relative movements to the current parameter value. When you relese the stick, you want the parameter to stay where it is.
in fact most often I use the joystick's axis to continually control a parameter
during live performance
I use the "center" parameter of each axis to adjust the midi cc values sent when the stick is released

I use at least 2 joysticks simutaneouly, I have "customise" one of my joystick: i have put 2 little carboard shits inside(':)') so now it stay in place when I release it

Michael-SW

Post by Michael-SW » Fri May 13, 2005 9:36 pm

If you change to relative cc, you can get rid of the cardboard... :D

palomo

Post by palomo » Fri May 13, 2005 10:20 pm

don't touch to my cardboard (:-))

seriously this carboarded joystick works fine...

Clearscreen

Post by Clearscreen » Mon May 16, 2005 2:08 am

i think your right about the shift key daniel. the midi channel selection option sound like as good an option as the fader fox setup. from what i've read about those units you turn a knob and it changes the track and all the button assignments. sorry if i didn't explain it clearly. i doubt it was down to your frenchness!
the same thing could be done using midi channels just as well. (eg assign buttons to preview track one, switch channel and use the same button to preview track two etc..)
from the sound of what your implementing theres going to be plenty of options!! will the shift setup be independent of midi channel? this would mean i could potentially end up with 64 assignable buttons and four joysticks per midi channel!!! YIKES!!!
if so, VIVE LE RUMBLEPAD!!
Hp Elitebook 2.8Ghz. Live 7.0.14 & Live 8.1.5, XP Pro. and stuff...

palomo

Post by palomo » Mon May 16, 2005 6:32 am

from the sound of what your implementing theres going to be plenty of options!! will the shift setup be independent of midi channel?
yes

one button to shift the buttons
one button to shift the axis (should be the same)
two buttons to increase decrease channel

all are free assignable

so you loose up to 4 buttons to control this new options... the pov pad seems ideal to do that (maybe mr david haupt will help.... ) (':wink:')
[/quote]

not so easy be patient...

Clearscreen

Post by Clearscreen » Tue May 17, 2005 12:24 am

not so easy be patient...
no worries daniel take your time. i'm just throwing ideas out there at the moment.
Hp Elitebook 2.8Ghz. Live 7.0.14 & Live 8.1.5, XP Pro. and stuff...