Setting up Guitar Rig in Ableton Live

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
MikeT

Post by MikeT » Mon May 09, 2005 3:05 am

This question has been posted before, but being a total Newbie, got lost on how to do it. I'll really appreciate if someone can direct me. I haven't use Live much because I want to use it with Guitar Rig. The farthest I got with Live is with the tutorial. Very new to computer music. Thanks.

AMD Athlon XP, 1GB,
Live 4.1.2
NI Guitar Rig
MikeT - Not a Newbie anymore!
Tennessee

kennerb

Post by kennerb » Mon May 09, 2005 3:17 am

You can load Guitar Rig as a vst. Guitar Rig (or Guitar Pig as I call it) is a huge CPU hog for me. I find I can only use it if I record it as audio to another track.I did find that you can make it more efficient by closing the tuner and tape decks in the rig.
3ghz Pentium 4 (Prescott), XP Sp2, 1gig Ram, Dual Monitor with Matrox Millenium, MOTU Traveler, Event EZ8 Adat card. Also IBM THinkpad t40 1.6 1 gig ram

MikeT

Post by MikeT » Mon May 09, 2005 7:46 am

Thanks for the immediate reply. Just played around with the plug-in and have not recorded it because there is a signifant latency to it. When I strum my guitar, I will hear the effects after my strum, like an echo. Can this be solved?
Tennessee

Spacerboy

latency

Post by Spacerboy » Mon May 09, 2005 9:45 am

take a look at your general latency in ableton. if the latency exceeds 10ms (20ms in sum) then this is too much.

spacy

gomi

Re: Setting up Guitar Rig in Ableton Live

Post by gomi » Mon May 09, 2005 3:12 pm

MikeT wrote:This question has been posted before, but being a total Newbie, got lost on how to do it. I'll really appreciate if someone can direct me. I haven't use Live much because I want to use it with Guitar Rig. The farthest I got with Live is with the tutorial. Very new to computer music. Thanks.

AMD Athlon XP, 1GB,
Live 4.1.2
NI Guitar Rig
you can insert it as an effect and then turn the input monitoring on.
on my pb 1.5 i can get no noticable latency, as long as my other live session data
isn't full of vst's (mix your loops down for live performance)
it's a great thing, i no longer need an amplifier, i can plug direct into the pa!

besnard

Re: Setting up Guitar Rig in Ableton Live

Post by besnard » Mon May 09, 2005 4:36 pm

gomi wrote:
MikeT wrote:you can insert it as an effect and then turn the input monitoring on. on my pb 1.5 i can get no noticable latency, as long as my other live session data isn't full of vst's (mix your loops down for live performance)
it's a great thing, i no longer need an amplifier, i can plug direct into the pa!
This is exactly how I use it. If i try to use it as a standalone, I get pops, crackles and what not.

MikeT

Post by MikeT » Mon May 09, 2005 9:25 pm

Thanks for the help guys. Fixed the latency. The two programs is awesome!
Tennessee