SLuggish controls when mapped to Kawaii k5000 synth

UHE is now closed. For Technical Support from Ableton, please go here: http://www.ableton.com/support
audiovoid

SLuggish controls when mapped to Kawaii k5000 synth

Post by audiovoid » Fri Aug 20, 2010 8:54 pm

This is a strange one. I have an old kawaii k5000 synth that I am using as a midi controller keyboard in Live and I notice that when I midi map and control a parameter (say, a Filter's Cutoff) with any of it's hardware knobs I get extremely sluggish behaviour. Not only does the onscreen knob jump sluggishly but even the audio itself sounds like it's jumping in steps (if that makes any sense). In other words it's totally Un smooth.
The Kawaii is plugged in to my Motu Ultralite with a basic midi cable connection and everything in Lives midi preferences is set up as they should be.
I am wondering if perhaps the kawaii (and maybe other old hardware keyboards?) is sending out some funky kind of controls from it's knobs/pots by default and live is tripping up over them.
Anybody have any ideas?
audiovoid.net
Macbook pro,
MacPro 8 core
running OSX, &
WinXP through Bootcamp and Fusion

twisted-space

Re: SLuggish controls when mapped to Kawaii k5000 synth

Post by twisted-space » Tue Aug 24, 2010 10:44 am

Do you have midi out from Live back into the K5000? If so make sure that there isn't a feedback loop being created (soft midi thru maybe). A simple test is to pull the midi in plug on the K5000.

audiovoid

Re: SLuggish controls when mapped to Kawaii k5000 synth

Post by audiovoid » Tue Aug 24, 2010 10:33 pm

hey Thanks for the reply:) at work so I cant check at the moment but I Do have the thing Going midi In and Out into my ultralite so u might be right. I have it this way so (if I want to) i can control a synth sequence on the Kawaii, triggered from a Live midi clip. But yea, I'll try unplugging the midi in cable to the unit just to see if it infact Does help my sluggish controls problem.
I'll update this post later, with the results
audiovoid.net
Macbook pro,
MacPro 8 core
running OSX, &
WinXP through Bootcamp and Fusion