Ableton "Granulator"

Share what you’d like to see added to Ableton Live.
m-laboratories.net

Ableton "Granulator"

Post by m-laboratories.net » Tue Apr 26, 2005 2:47 pm

This goes along with the idea of "elastic audio" : elastic midi

The Granulator: audio data in, midi data out, by breaking audio into grains of quantized length (1/1, 1/2, 1/4, 1/8, 1/16, 1/32, 1/64, 1/128). Each grain would have an on/off value (based on clip amplitude), and a relative pitch (based on dominant freq, or change in amplitude from previous grain.

When combined with the "scale" plugin, this could ensure that you're getting melodic output.

When combined with automation of the grain-quantization, you can create a variety of different note-on lengths and note-off lengths.

When combined with effects on the source clip, you now have a full barrage of "midi effects" that are based on realtime audio effects.

I.e., reverb would affect the amplitude of the clip such that the on/off threshhold setting would be exceeded for more of the clip, resulting in a cascade of midi data that would slowly trail off. Gate effects on the source clips would result in quick bursts of midi data. I have no idea how delay would effect this situation... but wouldn't it be fun to try!

ikeaboy

Post by ikeaboy » Tue Apr 26, 2005 6:26 pm

BUMP: An F'ing great idea. Singing in midi notes for the non-musicians would be a low level benefit. Everything else: fwoar!!

montrealbreaks

Post by montrealbreaks » Tue Apr 26, 2005 6:54 pm

ikeaboy wrote:BUMP: An F'ing great idea. Singing in midi notes for the non-musicians would be a low level benefit.
Gadzooks, I hadn't thought of that.

Neato.

I have changed my username; Now posting as:

M. Bréqs