The end of music production as we know it ?

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
mr.ergonomics

Re: The end of music production as we know it ?

Post by mr.ergonomics » Wed Jun 16, 2010 2:01 am

Angstrom wrote:when you go to beatport, do you hear things you wouldn't have heard ten years ago?
To me everything there sounds like copies of big tunes from 1996, or at the most, a mix of two tunes from 1996.

Let the garage banders have it.

It's not an relevant question to me. There are many music genres out there which sound the same to me, because I'm not so into it..
In reference to art the way something is produced is also important for me.

I think giving easy to use tools away for everyone will just rise the output from mediocre stuff. It's good that you need a bit devotion to get the entrance card.

Tone Deft

Post by Tone Deft » Wed Jun 16, 2010 2:08 am

Angstrom wrote:
3phase wrote: i am only aware of one way to convince dancemusic haters...
erm, yeah
this is me, in about 1995

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TYmW-aNUuM4

I'm not a dance music hater,I'm a person who is saying it hasn't innovated in any way since 1996.
oh c'mon!!!

look at the innovation in shiny helmets and hair products that have evolved ever since!!! 1995 knew nothing of the faux-hawk FFS!!

farking cool track, where's the DAT? ;)
In my life
Why do I smile
At people who I'd much rather kick in the eye?
-Moz

3phase

Post by 3phase » Wed Jun 16, 2010 2:10 am

Angstrom wrote:
3phase wrote: i am only aware of one way to convince dancemusic haters...
erm, yeah. You are on the wrong track there
this is me, in about 1995
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TYmW-aNUuM4

I'm not a dance music hater,I'm a person who is saying it hasn't innovated in any way since 1996.

ok.. thats true.. but at least in berlin it has come back to the roots and because it was ment to be future music back than the roots are more fresh than the inbetween.. going a bit down now thou..but it´s anyway related to sunspot activity..wait and see...its getting hot soon... and the vacuum cleaner will be a honored fashion accessior one day...

you have to see that all this early 90´s music uses much better sequencing and sound design than the standard 2010 track...

nice video...are you the keyboard wooky?
mac book 2,16 ghz 4(3)gb ram, Os 10.62, fireface 400,

Angstrom

Post by Angstrom » Wed Jun 16, 2010 2:12 am

I have a terrible idea that the democratisation of music is not great.

Although democratisation seems to imply that previously silenced urban-Mozarts will now be given voice, and it may well do that - they are buried under the avalanche of fuckwits who previously wouldnt have even bothered to learn "Chopsticks"

Democratisation of the production process puts a lot of strain on the end-user selection process, and hence the rise of the DJ, the "selector"! And the rise of the search engine.

But sadly, search, filter and tagging has not matched pace with the torrent of media. It is not possible to say to your computer "you know what I like, so find me something that is difficult to get into, but rewards several listens"

Instead, our search systems reward results which are similar to, but slightly different from, previously proven results. Results which sound acceptable at the first listen.

In addition, the young Mozart is now subject to "Bargain-Bucket" mentality. rather than being rewarded with a life changing sum of cash and a home. No, now Def-Mozart finds his phat beats are valued at 25pence if he is lucky, is it really worth 20 years of study to attain that value? Or should he just "select" a loop from his library, and tweak a preset.

Angstrom

Post by Angstrom » Wed Jun 16, 2010 2:18 am

3phase wrote: nice video...are you the keyboard wooky?
I'm the hairy one without the stupid hat with a crystal in it.
note: this was a looong time ago.
more of the same
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qx6Edq4q44Q&fmt=18

3phase

Post by 3phase » Wed Jun 16, 2010 2:19 am

Angstrom wrote:I have a terrible idea that the democratisation of music is not great.

i think its the revenge of the establishment for rockn roll...

we have done the democratisation ourself in the 80´s.. you can do it yourself.. you dont need a record contract..

that was the doctrin of the punk/wave movement.. that was the doctrin of the chikago houe music..

therefore punk = house... white punk and black punk cellibrated theier marriage in the hacienda.. and than the wave moved further east... thats what waves do..move...

the so called democratisation is just a way do distribute the high waters and turn them into a swamp

Benshik

Post by Benshik » Wed Jun 16, 2010 2:35 am

fuck that shit. its all part of the new philosophy of brands "involving people" in some interactive bullshit instead of simply advertising on tv. you should rename your thread "the end of advertising as we know it"
its getting too intrusive, sometimes i think we need a bloody revolution to counter that :)
Macbook 2.2ghz, OS 10.5.2, Focusrite Saffire, Microkontrol, Lemur

pepezabala

Post by pepezabala » Wed Jun 16, 2010 7:50 am

in the future people will make music without computers. I have a vision of instruments that sound on their own and people communicating in a groove ....

starving student

Post by starving student » Wed Jun 16, 2010 7:59 am

pepezabala wrote:in the future people will make music without computers. I have a vision of instruments that sound on their own and people communicating in a groove ....
I had a similar nightmare, that in the future people just go to see computers play Music
and brian eno is the anti-christ.

pepezabala

Post by pepezabala » Wed Jun 16, 2010 8:06 am

In teh future there will be computer programs that will listen to my music.

The Carpet Cleaner

Post by The Carpet Cleaner » Wed Jun 16, 2010 9:44 am

Angstrom wrote:I have a terrible idea that the democratisation of music is not great.

Although democratisation seems to imply that previously silenced urban-Mozarts will now be given voice, and it may well do that - they are buried under the avalanche of fuckwits who previously wouldnt have even bothered to learn "Chopsticks"

Democratisation of the production process puts a lot of strain on the end-user selection process, and hence the rise of the DJ, the "selector"! And the rise of the search engine.

But sadly, search, filter and tagging has not matched pace with the torrent of media. It is not possible to say to your computer "you know what I like, so find me something that is difficult to get into, but rewards several listens"

Instead, our search systems reward results which are similar to, but slightly different from, previously proven results. Results which sound acceptable at the first listen.

In addition, the young Mozart is now subject to "Bargain-Bucket" mentality. rather than being rewarded with a life changing sum of cash and a home. No, now Def-Mozart finds his phat beats are valued at 25pence if he is lucky, is it really worth 20 years of study to attain that value? Or should he just "select" a loop from his library, and tweak a preset.
Man... I m not sure yet, but I believe you are so right.My idea of music nowadays is not in amazing production. I think that once you've reach an acceptable quality in your production, the key is to provide an unstopable stream of music. And that's what has changed with the new tools we got. We dont produce better music, but we produce it faster so the competition is in how fast you produce.
It's like Apple with is ipod. There are not so different from other mp3, but they is a new one every 6 months so it's always new and fresh and it keeps coming.

So probably yea, maybe it s better to use directly loops and build 3 tracks instead of one. More chances to be on the search engines results and listener wont even know about it as long as it sounds good. I m not saying that s what I do, it's just some thought passing through my head.
Last edited by The Carpet Cleaner on Wed Jun 16, 2010 9:56 am, edited 1 time in total.

3phase

Post by 3phase » Wed Jun 16, 2010 9:54 am

pepezabala wrote:in the future people will make music without computers. I have a vision of instruments that sound on their own and people communicating in a groove ....

and the dj star was born....

i think that is exactly what is happening now.. at least in the perception of the audience

Leon Tricker

Post by Leon Tricker » Wed Jun 16, 2010 10:22 am

I'm generally supportive of adavances in music technology that either make it cheaper to produce music and/or gives people easier access to making music.

What I dislike is this mentality (quoted from article):

"When I was starting out you had to learn how to use a complex piece of software or how to play an instrument. It took a long time, it was tedious and not necessarily productive."

It just sums up a contemporary attitude towards learning in general. Yes, learning an instrument or a piece of software can be challneging - but overcoming that should be a reward in itself.

3phase

Post by 3phase » Wed Jun 16, 2010 10:53 am

Leon Tricker wrote:I'm generally supportive of adavances in music technology that either make it cheaper to produce music and/or gives people easier access to making music.

"When I was starting out you had to learn how to use a complex piece of software or how to play an instrument. It took a long time, it was tedious and not necessarily productive."

It just sums up a contemporary attitude towards learning in general. Yes, learning an instrument or a piece of software can be challneging - but overcoming that should be a reward in itself.

people have much more money in the pocket than in the beginning of the 80´s.. i can well remember when we checked out the new 606..wow.. what a cool machine it was.. the funny sister 303 was a bit .. ???what is that thing for..
but no way.. we had to leave the shop with a cheapo i ve forgotten the name vestax alike drummachine brand..
the 606 was soemthing like 350 euro......:-(

however..that hasent stoped us to make tape and vinyl releases... and we had absolutly no clue how that stuff really worked.. that came later.. but we had to try to invent our own sound.. because in the 80´s nobody took you serious when not having an original sound...

that actually still was the driving force behind all the techno evolution in europe..the people had absolutly no sense for sounding the same like this or that..only the copy cats.. but back than they was considred as lamers...

today? everybody knows everything.. people that have touched theire first daw 3 month ago..using only preset sounds ..reading the mastering book of bob katz... because thats the only issue.. not sounding different.. or having own sounds.. no no..sounding like this guy..or that guy is the goal.. and because all the preset files only the mastering is the challenge..

i dont really think that that is progress...

at least not a progress in attitude.. and therfore there is no musical progress.. just better mastering...

alex.the.forge

Post by alex.the.forge » Wed Jun 16, 2010 2:55 pm

Leon Tricker wrote:I'm generally supportive of adavances in music technology that either make it cheaper to produce music and/or gives people easier access to making music.

I know what you mean, but I see it like DJs that have always needed their technical programmer/engineer counterparts to press the buttons

Some of the most creative people I know are the least technical.