Ableton hotswap fail

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
alex.the.forge

Ableton hotswap fail

Post by alex.the.forge » Fri Jun 04, 2010 3:54 pm

Ableton, you know I luv ya an all that, but there is one area you really did a fail

1: load a "Drum machines" drum rack like 808
2: try and change the snare with the hotswap button on the snare pad

FAIL.
Last edited by alex.the.forge on Sat Jun 05, 2010 3:27 am, edited 1 time in total.

squelcht

Re: Ableton fail

Post by squelcht » Fri Jun 04, 2010 4:01 pm

Am I missing something here?

Sarrova-Q

Post by Sarrova-Q » Fri Jun 04, 2010 4:17 pm

alex.the.forge, what are you talking about?

longjohns

Post by longjohns » Fri Jun 04, 2010 4:22 pm

i think the point is that he doesn't want it to go to "drum rack"

presumably it should go to the rack which is current on that pad. however I don't think that this rack exists independently in the library. at least, the rack in snares called "Snare 808" does not sound the same as the one which is on the "Snare 808" pad in the 808 Kit.

Once you have swapped for a sound which does exist in the Library, then subsequent swaps do bring you to that location, which is as good a starting point as any, since you would likely try adjacent sounds

longjohns

Post by longjohns » Fri Jun 04, 2010 4:24 pm

i bet the rack does not exist since some fx were added when designing the kit. the designer may have started with the "Snare 808" rack on that pad, but it ended up being different once the final Kit preset was made.

??

ark

Post by ark » Fri Jun 04, 2010 4:31 pm

Here's what I think the misbehavior is.

When I load, say, the "Kit-606 Body Electric" kit and click the hot-swap button on one of the pads, it opens the hot-swap browser (correct), but puts me in the folder that represents my Library, with the selection on "(Parent Folder)" (weird). What it should do is identify the instrument or device chain that is associated with this particular pad, so I know just what it is that I'm swapping.

Both 8.1.3 and 8.1.4b2 behave this way.

squelcht

Post by squelcht » Fri Jun 04, 2010 4:32 pm

alex.the.forge

Post by alex.the.forge » Fri Jun 04, 2010 4:40 pm

wow so many replies!

I'm referring to the fact that if you hit the hotswap button on a pad in a drum rack like the 808 on the snare and choose something like "British funky stick" then you suddenly lose the snare completely and have to go trawling through drum racks looking for i/o MIDI notes and a really surprising amount of bollocks

I mean for anyone who is not that familiar with drum racks it's complete bewilderment, for anyone who is it's several layers of frustration

there is nothing good about this behaviour

dhilsabeck

Post by dhilsabeck » Fri Jun 04, 2010 7:47 pm

EDIT: User error on my part, I think

dhilsabeck

Post by dhilsabeck » Fri Jun 04, 2010 7:55 pm

But I think I get what you're saying. If you want to switch the snare, automatically go to the snare folder, not the top of the browser and the subsequent folders. Right?

ark

Post by ark » Fri Jun 04, 2010 9:24 pm

ShelLuser wrote:Sounds like you're blaming your tools for something you either inflicted or overlooked yourself.

Can't reproduce. When I want the snare back I simply go to Drum rack\Snare and from there select the Snare-808 (either the original or the 'Operator' one). And voila; back to normal.
Here's what I think is the problem.

Experiment 1: Drag a drum rack into a MIDI track, then put a preset (i.e. Snare-808) in one of the pads of the drum rack, and hit the pad's hot-swap button. No problem.

Experiment 2: Drag the Snare-808 preset directly into a new MIDI track. It creates a drum rack with that preset in one of its pads. Now hit that pad's hot-swap button. It does not bring you to the preset.

I think thie behavior is a bug, and I've filed a bug report.

Obineg

Post by Obineg » Sat Jun 05, 2010 2:00 am

This behaviour is clumsy and not user friendly and should be fixed.
macbook 2ghz / osX10.6 / built in soundcard / Apc40 / Axiom 49 / Live 8.1 / M4L

alex.the.forge

Post by alex.the.forge » Sat Jun 05, 2010 3:16 am

I'm talking specifically about the Ableton content - Load up a drum machines 808 KIT (not a single sound, whole kit) then try and change one of the individual hits by using the hotswap buttons on the pads

even though you are putting the new sound on the pad (which means it is assigned a note) the new preset still is set to receive on the note that it would have previously received on in it's own kit

in the picture below I just started in a blank set, loaded "808 classic" from instruments/drum racks/kits

then used hotswap on the pad the snare was on, navigated to the snare hit you can see

if I then press the play button on the pad - nothing

so then I had to open up the rack and press I/O to show the receive note,

because the first rack is set to receive on D1 and sends out a C3 - presumably on the assumption that if it was just a si/ampler on it's own then the original note would be on C3, but with the Ableton content if you navigate through presets in that (what would seem the obvious) way then it never is just a simpler, it is another drum rack, which has it's own note receive setting

and by the way, that's as Simple as this problem gets because I know how it works and where to look - but for people new to Live all they would know is that when you change the snare via hotswap it disappears.

I mean really the whole browser/hotswap system needs an overhaul so we can at least get some better previewing of sounds, but this is probably the most frustrating aspect of it

[EDIT] - I just tried dragging the snare to the pad and it works, so this is a specific hotswap problem - you could probably call it a bug, but really it's just behaviour that hasn't been put in yet (i.e. automatically updating the receive notes - this happens with drag/drop but not with hotswap)

it's funny that I only just tried dragging it now - I so much would have expected it to work that way that I normally use hotswap, swear then open the rack and change the note

I guess I'll be drag/dropping from now on.... kind of weird though considering that's the purpose the whole hotswap thing was specifically designed for

Tarekith

Post by Tarekith » Sat Jun 05, 2010 3:29 am

That's probably my biggest frustration with Drum Racks too, I ran into this as well when they were first implemented. It's a cool idea, but the whole "Note Input" aspect kept giving me headaches too. I thought I could just drag and drop the best parts of different kits into a new one, but sometimes the note ranges no longer match and any previous midi patterns might no longer work. Too confusing, I agree.

longjohns

Re: Ableton hotswap fail

Post by longjohns » Sat Jun 05, 2010 4:18 am

it's not true for all hot swapping. instead of the one you chose, swap the 808 snare for "909 Snare"

it loads with the input set to "all" as it should, and plays right away...

so there are inconsistencies in how the presets are saved in terms of their input settings

?>