Hardware synth visual interface

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
apyssjw

Hardware synth visual interface

Post by apyssjw » Fri May 07, 2010 9:39 am

I own a yamaha an1x which has some lush sound sculpting possibilities. However as a child of the vst generation I've hardly begun learning how to programme it because the surfit of softsynths I have. I have a mental block when attempting to programme hardware.

I've recently been looking into obtaining somekind of vst interface which would allow me to use the an1x within live with a visual interface. This was fuelled by the max for live article in the april issue of sound on sound which referred to Neil Bufkin's max for live editor for the Roland Juno 106 http://www.neilbufkin.com/Neil_Bufkin_2 ... _News.html

I don't own max for live but would definitely consider doing so if this would be possible for my hardware synth (or any other for that matter). Would this be possible?

I also stumbled across this editor, the Sound Quest Midi Quest Universal Editor, while googling which suggests it does the same thing. Has anyone used it?

http://www.squest.com/Windows/Instrumen ... index.html

For the price quoted there it would make much more sense to pick up Max for Live if this is possible through there. I should also say that I've never used max.

apyssjw

Re: Hardware synth visual interface

Post by apyssjw » Sat May 08, 2010 8:11 am

Nobody interested in this type of product app or using one at the moment?

Machinesworking

Post by Machinesworking » Sat May 08, 2010 9:34 am

it could be useful, but a lot of hardware synths use System Exclusive MIDI dumps to communicate to comporters, Live does not support SysEx.
For instance the Xpander and Poly Evolver I have here both use SysEx..... I have a half hearted hope that Live will start suporting it, but realistically they won't, they haven't for 4+ years now, so why would they start now?

Pasha

Post by Pasha » Sat May 08, 2010 10:42 am

Machinesworking wrote:it could be useful, but a lot of hardware synths use System Exclusive MIDI dumps to communicate to comporters, Live does not support SysEx.
For instance the Xpander and Poly Evolver I have here both use SysEx..... I have a half hearted hope that Live will start suporting it, but realistically they won't, they haven't for 4+ years now, so why would they start now?
This brings me to another question:
The Juno 106 as well as the M3 M4L patch use a special router patch to be run in Max Runtime.
This translates SysEx into something understandable for M4L.
However, is Max Run Time Free?
This could be one of the reasons I could get M4L in the future. I hate having two modules
sitting like ducks in my studio because I cannot control them. :(

- Thanks
- Pasha
Mac Studio M1
Live 12 Suite,Zebra ,Valhalla Plugins, MIDI Guitar (2+3),Guitar, Bass, VG99, GP10, JV1010 and some controllers