XONE:4D and Ableton Midi mapping. Need help

Share your favorite Ableton Live tips, tricks, and techniques.
pghatak

XONE:4D and Ableton Midi mapping. Need help

Post by pghatak » Sat Mar 14, 2009 5:50 pm

Hello Ableton readers./users :D

Please help me here, with Ableton live Midi setup with Xone:4D. I read through all the postings in the forums, and also saw videos on YouTube, A&H website video and many others. But it still does not help, on what I’m trying to do.

So, here is the setup I’ trying, which is very trivial, not complicated. My dilemma is the CUE switches.

So, here we go:

I have 8 tracks in total, 4 tracks mapped to A and 4 tracks mapped to B-side of the cross fader.
These 8 tracks faders are midi-mapped on each side of the XONE: 4D mixer, left and right each. So far so good.

I have the 4 light pipe rings on each side, mapped to CUE channel (1/2) of Ableton LIVE, and my master output is on channel 7/8 on Ableton. So, that makes the sound output fro LIVE comes to channel 4 of the mixer, and it lights. So far so good here.

Now, the problem is, How do I use the CUE channels. If my CUE is on channel (1/2) then channel 1 of the mixer is getting the input, and it’s getting mixed in with channel 7/8. Which also means, that the CUE buttons on LIVE does not make any sense, because we need to use the lightpipe CUE button on the mixer.

Now, on the mixer there are only 4 channels in all, with 4 cue buttons. So, does that mean, we ignore the LIVE CUE switches, and use only the mixer CUE buttons?.

OK, even if I do that, it means, my final master output can’t be used from ABLETON, if I have to use only 4 channels of the mixer. I want to use the master channel output from Ableton LIVE only, since I have my master limiter racks on the master channels.

And to make it more confusing, the buttons and knobs on the center part of the mixer can’t be midi-mapped.

Can someone please help me, about the cue button setups? Am I taking the wrong approach? Please note, I just upgraded to XONE:4D and I come from a UC-33e with a Firewire external audio. Things were simpler then.

Please help.
Cheers. :mrgreen:
DJ Pippins
Macbok Pro 17"|Ableton Live 7.14|Xone: 4D| iZotope Ozone on master channel|

Digitally

Re: XONE:4D and Ableton Midi mapping. Need help

Post by Digitally » Sat Apr 10, 2010 12:02 am

did you manage sorting it out.??? if not??? lemme know... i use the 3d and use the buttons as que... so i can tell you.

pghatak

Post by pghatak » Sun Apr 11, 2010 1:57 pm

Hi there.
Thank you for the response, but Iv'e not yet done it. I'm now using Snow Leopard 10.6.3 and have upgraded the firmware to 1.03. But I still have problems. Can you help?

Digitally wrote:did you manage sorting it out.??? if not??? lemme know... i use the 3d and use the buttons as que... so i can tell you.

Digitally

Post by Digitally » Sun Apr 11, 2010 2:59 pm

Use outputs 1/2 and 3/4 on your mixer . i.e channel 1 and 2 of main mix... make sure the SC knobs are pressed on these channels... Mixer channel 3 and 4 are used for cd's.

There are multiple ways to do this ... I'll explain to you how i do it ... hopefully you'll understand and do it in a way that you are comfertable with.

I use 8 tracks running and the midi sections faders are assigned to each track...
What i've done is I've assigned bottom 4 keys in the midi control sections(A and B) to the cue buttons . the ones below the jog wheel.

In ableton select the Cue output as 3/4. Main output 1/2.

Everything plays through channel 1 on mixer...
Channel 2 is set to listening on the headphones...

now when you preview or cue something in ableton, any of the 8 tracks. you should be able to hear it in the headphones.
I dont touch the fader much... mainly play with the midi faders of all the tracks... plus can add some songs from cd's as well...

hope that helped...
cheers..!!!!

pghatak

Post by pghatak » Mon Apr 12, 2010 9:49 pm

Hi digitally.
I did exactly what you said, but here is my problem.
When I turn the cue/Add mix button all the way right, I'm hearing a mix of my cue and the master channel. Should this be happening?. Is there anyway to hear the pure master channel, WITHOUT hearing the cue sometimes?.

Maybe I'm doing something wrong?.

Please help.

Digitally wrote:Use outputs 1/2 and 3/4 on your mixer . i.e channel 1 and 2 of main mix... make sure the SC knobs are pressed on these channels... Mixer channel 3 and 4 are used for cd's.

There are multiple ways to do this ... I'll explain to you how i do it ... hopefully you'll understand and do it in a way that you are comfertable with.

I use 8 tracks running and the midi sections faders are assigned to each track...
What i've done is I've assigned bottom 4 keys in the midi control sections(A and B) to the cue buttons . the ones below the jog wheel.

In ableton select the Cue output as 3/4. Main output 1/2.

Everything plays through channel 1 on mixer...
Channel 2 is set to listening on the headphones...

now when you preview or cue something in ableton, any of the 8 tracks. you should be able to hear it in the headphones.
I dont touch the fader much... mainly play with the midi faders of all the tracks... plus can add some songs from cd's as well...

hope that helped...
cheers..!!!!

Digitally

Post by Digitally » Mon Apr 12, 2010 11:41 pm

bro....
thats what that knob is meant for... when you turn it completely to the right!!! then you hear the master and whatever channels you have que'd in your headfones... totally to the left is only what you have que'd and not the master.... its basically meant for dj mixing with cd's ... so when you cant get the beat you listens to the master as well on the headphones....

*that is the function of that knob* and cannot be changed...

:)

if in the headphones you want to listen to only the master channel then keep the knob totally towards the right and dont select any que buttons....