so whats ur preferred method for finding that right kick?

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
blue frog beats

so whats ur preferred method for finding that right kick?

Post by blue frog beats » Sat Apr 10, 2010 1:33 am

Would love to hear some of your methods, whats ur favorite way of finding that right kick drum?

cacti

Re: so whats ur preferred method for finding that right kick?

Post by cacti » Sat Apr 10, 2010 1:53 am

i search 'kick' in the finder window, and scroll through with the preview on listening to each one til i hear one i like.

thats one way..

or i just have favorite kicks. like the 909

outershpongolia

Post by outershpongolia » Sat Apr 10, 2010 2:16 am

this is always my go-to-kick..

notice the wrist grab. :mrgreen:
Last edited by outershpongolia on Sat Apr 10, 2010 6:18 am, edited 1 time in total.

liveISlife

Post by liveISlife » Sat Apr 10, 2010 6:15 am

Browsing the kicks in Stylus RMX kit mode is always going to bring the results you need. That thing is amazing. Auwsum samples all the way around in that thing.

ze2be

Post by ze2be » Sat Apr 10, 2010 3:59 pm

blue frog beats wrote:Would love to hear some of your methods, whats ur favorite way of finding that right kick drum?
Good source sound with maximum range of frequencies. Then shape it like you want with an EQ.

1. Create a brutal synth kick that's all over the frequency range. This is the perfect start position to shape a kick drum with EQ. The more frequencies the original sample has, the more shapes can be molded out of it. Kind of like high resolution source material!

2. Layer it with a sampled acoustic kick, and tweak that one with EQ and envelopes to taste.

3. Squeeze them with a compressor, if needed.

edit:typos
Last edited by ze2be on Sun Apr 11, 2010 5:58 am, edited 1 time in total.

andrewbrewer

Post by andrewbrewer » Sat Apr 10, 2010 4:05 pm

i have some pretty boring tips:
- always make the decision while listening to the rest of the music, so you can hear how the kick sounds in the mix.
- be equipped with some tool (abe drum racks are great for this) that will let you try out different kicks on the fly.
- when using effects/eq/etc., always A/B compare wet and dry. sometimes effects can seem like they help when in fact they don't.
- finally do not dismiss the classics, sometimes all that is needed is a clean 808 or 909 kick and the job is done

ze2be

Post by ze2be » Sat Apr 10, 2010 4:13 pm

andrewbrewer wrote:i have some pretty boring tips:
- always make the decision while listening to the rest of the music, so you can hear how the kick sounds in the mix.
- be equipped with some tool (abe drum racks are great for this) that will let you try out different kicks on the fly.
- when using effects/eq/etc., always A/B compare wet and dry. sometimes effects can seem like they help when in fact they don't.
- finally do not dismiss the classics, sometimes all that is needed is a clean 808 or 909 kick and the job is done
indeed. And just to add: you can use my method quickly too. When ever you EQ a nice kick, save the EQ preset! after a while you have a few presets to flick through. Quicker then searching for a kick samples, IMHO ;)

mholloway

Post by mholloway » Sat Apr 10, 2010 6:32 pm

the 'new york' / parallel compression trick changed my life. i set it up with a send/return in live and send my kickdrum tracks about %50 to it. kicks that once lacked that extra edge and punch now sound great. it's a trick I couldn't live without for the music I'm doing.

-M
my industrial music made with Ableton Live (as DEAD WHEN I FOUND HER): https://deadwhenifoundher.bandcamp.com/
my dark jazz / noir music made with Ableton Live: https://michaelarthurholloway.bandcamp. ... guilt-noir

The Carpet Cleaner

Post by The Carpet Cleaner » Sat Apr 10, 2010 6:57 pm

Got a set of favorite kick/drum kits. I layers them, change pitch, tone, ADRS, EQ (not always), then parrallel process.
And finaly I A/B with other tracks/kicks.

Hermanus

Post by Hermanus » Sat Apr 10, 2010 9:52 pm

sorry :mrgreen:

logic_user99

Post by logic_user99 » Sat Apr 10, 2010 11:38 pm

I go into Live, type in...

...and win comes out!
Macbook | Live 7.0.18 |

nowtime

Post by nowtime » Sun Apr 11, 2010 4:01 am

mholloway wrote:the 'new york' / parallel compression trick changed my life. i set it up with a send/return in live and send my kickdrum tracks about %50 to it. kicks that once lacked that extra edge and punch now sound great. it's a trick I couldn't live without for the music I'm doing.

-M
@everyone: great suggestions! love hearing about this shit.
@mholloway: it seems like your creepy doll picture/signature has changed your life, too? pulllllleeeze already! :roll:
Life is Good

cacti

Post by cacti » Sun Apr 11, 2010 4:02 am

mholloway wrote:the 'new york' / parallel compression trick changed my life. i set it up with a send/return in live and send my kickdrum tracks about %50 to it. kicks that once lacked that extra edge and punch now sound great. it's a trick I couldn't live without for the music I'm doing.

-M
can you explain a bit more please?

smaucher

Post by smaucher » Sun Apr 11, 2010 5:51 am

cacti wrote:

-M
+1
you start bleeding - I start sceaming
propaganda 1985

outershpongolia

Post by outershpongolia » Sun Apr 11, 2010 8:11 am

smaucher wrote:
cacti wrote:

-M
+1
parallel compression ? (btw that's exactly how I set it up)

You compress the signal, and mix it back in with the original signal.. so basically the idea is that you still get the dynamics of the regular signal, with the added punch and chunkiness of the compressed signal.. It's a perfect setup for me becasue I can map out the send amount for my channels so I can control how much of the compressed signal is coming thru on top of the normal one..

I used 'signal' too many times in one sentence.

If anyone has anything to add go ahead, I may have worded it a little strange but it should get the point across.