automation timing accuracy

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
Johnisfaster

Re: automation timing accuracy

Post by Johnisfaster » Thu Mar 11, 2010 2:50 am

[nis] wrote:Hi folks, automation data are not (and have never been) delay-compensated in Live. We know that this isn't an ideal solution, but that's the way it is right now. There are however several PDC improvements planned for future versions, so this is likely going to change one day. I can't promise anything, though (as always).

Best,
Nico
do clip envelopes count as automation?
It was as if someone shook up a 6 foot can of blood soda and suddenly popped the top.

Bunky Freaks

Post by Bunky Freaks » Thu Mar 11, 2010 8:42 am

wow, thanks for investigating this issue! i also was wondering about the tightness of automation as it can totally knock the punch and ryhtmic flow out of precise beat programming. in my preliminary research i didnt find a pattern though. good to know how it currently (mis)behaves. hopefully this gets fixed soon!

edit:
This bit of info should be included in the manual. In its current state it says (16.5):

"The compensation algorithm keeps all of Live's tracks in sync, regardless of what their devices are doing, while minimizing delay between the player's actions and the audible result."

sry for the nitpicking but this obviously is not the case.

paulmaddox

Post by paulmaddox » Thu Mar 11, 2010 9:43 am

Good to hear that it's something in the pipeline, but I agree with Bunky Freaks that this fact is deliberately omitted from the documentation.

After reading the manual and promotional material I was given the definite impression that live had FULL PDC - didn't see any mention of there being exceptions to this or I would have been a lot more hesitant to switch to Live as my main production platform.

Tweaking Knobs

Post by Tweaking Knobs » Thu Mar 11, 2010 11:00 am

[nis] wrote:Hi folks, automation data are not (and have never been) delay-compensated in Live. We know that this isn't an ideal solution, but that's the way it is right now. There are however several PDC improvements planned for future versions, so this is likely going to change one day. I can't promise anything, though (as always).

Best,
Nico
No lfo´s , no bezier curves , no delay-compensation , man , some very basic stuff fails in here .

this sucks.

Dennis DeSantis

Post by Dennis DeSantis » Thu Mar 11, 2010 11:53 am

Hi folks,

Per Nico's reply, this is a known issue.

The lack of clarity about the lack of automation PDC in the manual, however, is a documentation oversight, and I'll fix this in a manual update.

Thanks for bringing it to our attention.

Best,

h4nc0

Post by h4nc0 » Thu Mar 11, 2010 12:20 pm

while at it, please add ability to ping external effects for setting auto delay compensation like cubase/nuendo.

thx

Bunky Freaks

Post by Bunky Freaks » Thu Mar 11, 2010 12:23 pm

Dennis DeSantis wrote:
The lack of clarity about the lack of automation PDC in the manual, however, is a documentation oversight, and I'll fix this in a manual update.
I'd rather have it the other way around. sigh..

Dennis DeSantis

Post by Dennis DeSantis » Thu Mar 11, 2010 12:27 pm

Bunky Freaks wrote:
Dennis DeSantis wrote:
I'd rather have it the other way around. sigh..

Indeed, but regardless of what we do in the future, the documentation should reflect the current reality.

Best,

paulmaddox

Post by paulmaddox » Thu Mar 11, 2010 12:39 pm

Glad to hear the documentation is being amended - would be great if fixing this was reasonably high up the priority list though, it's put a real dampener on the switch to live as my sole platform

ethios4

Post by ethios4 » Thu Mar 11, 2010 1:37 pm

Dennis, am I remembering correctly that the decision to not PDC the automation was made on the basis of wanting the automation to reflect what is heard rather than what is seen? For example, if you are recording filter sweep automation that you are recording live, you would be tweaking the knob based on what yo hear, not what you see. I seem to remember a thread along those lines a couple of years ago and there was a split over whether automation should be PDC or not. If that is the case then there is at least a logical reason for things being the way they are.

Personally I think giving the option would be best.

Dennis DeSantis

Post by Dennis DeSantis » Thu Mar 11, 2010 2:02 pm

ethios4 wrote:Dennis, am I remembering correctly that the decision to not PDC the automation was made on the basis of wanting the automation to reflect what is heard rather than what is seen?
I think you're confusing this with the topic of where recordings are placed on the timeline - another messy and contentious issue.

We're reviewing all of it for the future.

Best,

Cryptic UK

Post by Cryptic UK » Thu Mar 11, 2010 3:17 pm

Fucking quality!
Drums

mr.ergonomics

Post by mr.ergonomics » Thu Mar 11, 2010 3:18 pm

thanks for your fast response, ableton. I'm really not happy because of this 'problem', but I'm happy with your support.

best regards 8)

3phase

Post by 3phase » Thu Mar 11, 2010 6:20 pm

Dennis DeSantis wrote:Hi folks,

Per Nico's reply, this is a known issue.

Thanks for bringing it to our attention.

Best,

interesting.. so you have forgotten about thoose known issues in your audio fact sheet?

:-)) just joking no big deal..other daw also dont tell us about the areas where they are miserable.. its allways on the user to find out..
mac book 2,16 ghz 4(3)gb ram, Os 10.62, fireface 400,

Dennis DeSantis

Post by Dennis DeSantis » Thu Mar 11, 2010 6:28 pm

3phase wrote:interesting.. so you have forgotten about thoose known issues in your audio fact sheet?
No.

But if you feel something in the documentation needs additional clarification, please let us know.

Best,