Compressors

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
Sage

Re: Compressors

Post by Sage » Thu Feb 04, 2010 2:15 pm

SubFunk wrote:
Sage wrote:
ashtonron wrote:audio damage have rough rider which is free.. it will definately color your sound
This I like :mrgreen:
yup, it is a fab tool for certain things.
Like a whole mix so I can be the loudest person on Beatport? :twisted:

SubFunk

Post by SubFunk » Thu Feb 04, 2010 2:23 pm

^^^ LOL
*** Image GAFM ***

Donnie

Post by Donnie » Thu Feb 04, 2010 2:30 pm

lol indeed! :lol:

sowhoso

Post by sowhoso » Thu Feb 04, 2010 3:05 pm

Sage wrote: Like a whole mix so I can be the loudest person on Beatport? :twisted:
i'll just turn you down

:P

glitchrock-buddha

Post by glitchrock-buddha » Thu Feb 04, 2010 4:02 pm

SubFunk wrote:another one that comes to my mind right now is: camel audio's free camel crusher can also add some nice colour to a sound.
I second this. Absoutely amazing and simple compressor. You should see what it does to kick drums! 8O When I first tried this, I was so impressed that I was going to buy the big brother Camelphat. However I waas really surprised to learn that I could not get the same compressor sound out of it. It's supposed to be the same compressor with more controls, but I swear there was no setting that could get it. So I stuck with Camelcrusher. Rounghrider is cool too. They are the only two compressors I have aside from the Ableton ones. Well that's not totally true, other multi-effects have comps as well. In particular the compressors in Zebrify are outstanding for coloring. Also ohmicide has some serious compressor action.

Some of my favorite compressors are multi-band ones that you find in overdrive plug-ins like Ohmicide, Trash etc. And don't forget about Live's multiband comp. It's great for coloring.
Professional Shark Jumper.

UKRuss

Post by UKRuss » Thu Feb 04, 2010 4:14 pm

Camel crusher comp? i thought it was a distortion unit?? Havent used it for so long (becasue it crashes live... for me anyway)

SubFunk

Post by SubFunk » Thu Feb 04, 2010 4:27 pm

UKRuss wrote:Camel crusher comp? i thought it was a distortion unit?? Havent used it for so long (becasue it crashes live... for me anyway)
it has a distortion section, tube drive, but it is a great comp.

it does not crash my L8.1.1, though...
*** Image GAFM ***

UKRuss

Post by UKRuss » Thu Feb 04, 2010 4:34 pm

Ah yes, I remember the layout now. Must try and use it again, but there ain't no way I'm upgrading from my trusty 8.09!

Having said that I had to restart Live about five times before I got any sounds through my master out at my last gig, fortunately the guy before me was still playing and was doing some freeform sampling and looping so he could keep it going! :-)

Other than that, 8.09 is where my heart is.

SubFunk

Post by SubFunk » Thu Feb 04, 2010 4:36 pm

^^^ do you have a vid. not from the restarting, though... :wink:
*** Image GAFM ***

UKRuss

Post by UKRuss » Thu Feb 04, 2010 4:40 pm

No vid, there are some pics though. I think martin 'mindlobster' Delaney was taking some on his phone...not sure where they are due to surface.

Sorry for the hijack.

dbolt

Post by dbolt » Thu Feb 04, 2010 8:13 pm

glitchrock-buddha wrote:
SubFunk wrote:another one that comes to my mind right now is: camel audio's free camel crusher can also add some nice colour to a sound.
I second this. Absoutely amazing and simple compressor. You should see what it does to kick drums! 8O When I first tried this, I was so impressed that I was going to buy the big brother Camelphat. However I waas really surprised to learn that I could not get the same compressor sound out of it. It's supposed to be the same compressor with more controls, but I swear there was no setting that could get it. So I stuck with Camelcrusher. Rounghrider is cool too.
I've had the same experience with Roughrider Pro.. I loved RR so much that I thought that RR Pro would be the same.... But I can't find that sweet spot yet..It's either too loud or too soft and if starts to sound just right it's clipping.... I started to send it back for something else and I think they have a 45 or 90 exchange policy so I just might swap it for something I don't have... Vapor, Liquid, etc.. I didn't buy into this series but I hear they are sweet...

leedsquietman

Post by leedsquietman » Fri Feb 05, 2010 1:55 am

If you don't have Fluid, then I recommend it.

Apart from UAD's Dimension D plugin, it's the best software chorus I've ever heard.
http://soundcloud.com/umbriel-rising http://www.myspace.com/leedsquietmandemos Live 7.0.18 SUITE, Cubase 5.5.2], Soundforge 9, Dell XPS M1530, 2.2 Ghz C2D, 4GB, Vista Ult SP2, legit plugins a plenty, Alesis IO14.