Help on Korg Zero 4/Zero 8

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
Gianluca

Help on Korg Zero 4/Zero 8

Post by Gianluca » Fri Jan 29, 2010 1:54 am

Hi everyone!

my name is Gianluca, I live in Belgium and after using Ableton for a while I became interested in buying a mixer for it.

After searching the net there seem to be 3 options left;

Korg Zero 4
Korg Zero 8
X: one 4D

To be honest, I think I'll either go for the Zero 4 or 8. Is there any possibility anyone could perhaps advise me just a tiny bit?
I mean, I'm a bit confused what the differences between those two are. I also read there seemed to be a lot of "hiss" problems with the Zero's?

And my final question, is there a possibility to send the audio from Ableton to the Korg, edit it with effects and send the Master back to Ableton to record your set?

Thanks to anyone who found the time to reply!

dooZ

Re: Help on Korg Zero 4/Zero 8

Post by dooZ » Fri Jan 29, 2010 2:16 am

Korg Zero4, nothing but problems.

First the FX fader broke. $0, because I fixed this myself

Second the main board. $330

Third failure, two days after above. New failure, which I've been waiting another 2 months to find out. $140 but I am fighting this

look on the Korg Forum under digital mixers for feedback, it is not good. Oh theres a reason why it is discontinued.

1nfinitezer0

Post by 1nfinitezer0 » Fri Jan 29, 2010 2:23 am

i have a korg zero 8 and it's done me well so far.
the pre-amps aren't the best, so i don't use the 1/4 or line ins much, or the guitar one, that one has never sounded good.
i run turntables and mics as well as my laptop through it fine. i haven't had problems with hiss (it's unclear, but rumors are that it's fixed)
you can record the output of any channel, routings adjustable with the settings menu, you're limited to the number of channels of course, but there's lots of options. it's been great for my workflow, but honestly it doesn't feel like it'll 'last me for 20 years' type of thing.
the zero8 is geared more for production, and the zero4 is more for djing. the effects on the zero4 have better wet/dry control, but the zero8 is a more comprehensive beast.
good luck, happy shopping ~: )

rompling

Post by rompling » Fri Jan 29, 2010 2:59 am

Great mixer which has been knocked in many quarters - great for traktor & for live have found it intergrates well and to my workflow with a little tweaking but I still use XP BUT any other windows OS ( can`t speak about mac) there has been problems but also work arounds but they can be frustating
The new price of £ 950 is very tempting though
Pc Dual core 3gb Ram Live 8 ,Reason 4, Novation X station Akai MPC1000 Novation Nio2/4 M Audio BX 5 Korg Zero 8 Novation Nocturn & Launchpad
Been on live since version 2 but ableton forum has somehow only had me down as a user since 08 doh !

sweetjesus

Post by sweetjesus » Fri Jan 29, 2010 3:08 am

i found the zero 8 to be a bit of a pain in the bum.

after trying both one of those and a xone 4d for a week or so each, i ended up getting a vestax vcm600 which is now complimented by a Fireface400.

This has been the most awesome Live setup I've used and would recommend it to anyone.

The vestax layout is so intuitive to Live.

McQ714

Post by McQ714 » Fri Jan 29, 2010 3:09 am

i have a zero4 and it's been a good mixer for me, except that korg's customer service and more importantly, their driver development team SUCK!!! i've never been able to use this as an interface because they never released working 64-bit drivers.

Gianluca

Post by Gianluca » Sat Feb 06, 2010 3:08 pm

So if I'd go for the Zero 4 and send the signals in from Ableton, edit them with effects, is it possible to route it back to Ableton and record the Master signal?

Thanks!

Agent G

Post by Agent G » Sat Feb 06, 2010 4:29 pm

Yes ..I do this currently with with zero4 ..you can also record all of your fader movements ..

aeon_flux

Post by aeon_flux » Sat Feb 06, 2010 5:21 pm

the only problem i found with my zero4 so far is lack of routing signal back from ableton to CUE and MASTER bus. this is common but non obvious issue - mackie d.4, xone 4d has the same problem. only ecler evo5 support this. that is quite important if you want to use zero4 in full midi (all knobs green) or if you like to use send/returns in a normal way without sacrificing one channel for that.

McQ714

Post by McQ714 » Sat Feb 06, 2010 6:34 pm

just a little update on the zero4... i was messing around with both virtual dj and live the other night. in windows, there is an option to choose whether or not a program can use an audio driver exclusively. i un-checked that and had virtual dj using the first 2 channels of the mixer and live was running the master on the 3rd channel and cue on the 4th channel. all ran fine on my 2-year old hp laptop. wish there was a way to sync up the two programs but i don't think virtual dj has a midi sync option like traktor has. maybe i'll have to throw down on traktor duo and the new traktor kontrol. and i'm guessing i could just run a simple midi cable out from the zero 4 and back in again??? i guess i'll have to experiment with it.