Workaround for MIDI Remote "arm exclusive" bug - B

Share your favorite Ableton Live tips, tricks, and techniques.
mpmusicny

Workaround for MIDI Remote "arm exclusive" bug - Bidule

Post by mpmusicny » Sun Mar 20, 2005 9:16 pm

This is a workaround for the Live 4 bug whereby "arm exclusive" does not work when using MIDI Remote. Even with Arm Exclusive Enabled, Live still allows multiple tracks to be armed via MIDI. this workaround involves using Plogue Bidule http://www.plogue.com/index.php?option= ... &Itemid=35. I've only been messing around with Bidule for a day or so, so if anyone has any ways of making the routing more efficient, feel free to chime in.

In my setup, I have six tracks which i use for creating loops with my guitar live, and i have been using midi cc #'s 111 thru 116 (on channel 1) sent from my fcb 1010 foot controller to arm the tracks. Unfortunately, with the bug, i've had to remember to disarm each track before moving on to arm another one, which is a pain. This technique gets around this problem.

What I'm doing now is leaving all 6 track permanently armed. If I want to record a loop on track 1, say, the cc that would have armed the track is now sent through Bidule, and sets the monitor status of track 1 to "auto" and the monitor status of the other 5 tracks to "off". This is very close to the same thing as "arm exclusive" with the exception that strictly speaking the other 5 tracks are not "safe", but since each individual slot has its own Midi Remote trigger, this is not an issue for me. The technique described below is possible because "monitor track" status can be changed between it's 3 states, off, auto and on, using a single cc with a low, medium and high value respectively. Take a minute, if you're interested, to check out the following spaghetti maze:

I've spread out the objects in the left hand column so you can see the cabling easier.

First, go over into Live and turn on Midi Map Mode. Now delete your previous mappings for arming tracks - remember, you're going to leave them permanently armed from now on. Now map cc 111, channel 1, to the Monitor select for track 1; cc 111, channel 2, to the Monitor select for track 2; etc, all the way up to cc 111, channel 6, to the Monitor select for track 6. then turn off turn Midi Map Mode, and go back to Bidule.

So at the very top in your MidI input device. you can leave out the next object "filter out Prog ch's" that's something only my setup needs. Cable the output of your Midi input device directly to "just accept ch1" which is a channel filter only taking in channel 1. Split off 6 cables from this, one for each track I want to loop on in Live. As i mentioned, i use midi cc #'s 111 thru 116 (on channel 1) to simulate track arming. Let's look at the objects for track 1 (the spread out chain to the left). "just accept ch1" is cabled to "pass cc 111", a cc filter only accepting cc 111. this is cabled to 6 objects: "remap to ch11" , "remap to ch 12" etc all the way down to "remap to ch 16" These are channel mappers, remapping the Midi channel of the input message to channels 11 through 16 respectively. Now, cable the output of ONLY the object corresponding to the track that you want to be set to "monitor = auto", in this case "remap to ch 11" , to "monitor - auto", which is a cc value scaler setting the value of the cc message to somewhere in the middle of the 0-127 range (I have it set to 75). Cable the output of the other 5 "remap to..." objects to "monitor - off" which does the same thing except sets the cc value to 126, high enough to make Live switch monitoring to "off" on those tracks.

Now go through the other 5 chains, setting it up exactly the same, except making sure that the appropriate "remap to..." objects are connected to the appropriate "monitor - auto/off" objects. for track 6, for example, "remap to ch 11", "remap to ch 12", "remap to ch 13", "remap to ch 14" and "remap to ch 15", should be cabled to "monitor - off" and just "remap to ch 16" should be cabled to "monitor - auto".

Then, cable ""monitor - off" and "monitor - auto" to "Bidule1 (out)", your Midi Output device. Make sure this is selected as a Midi Remote input in Live's Midi preferences.

Finally, one more cable directly from the Midi input Device to "Bidule1 (out)", so that all your other stuff gets through.

If you've done it right, in Live now the controller value you used to send to arm a track will now set that tracks monitoring to "auto", so you can hear what you'rer recording when you're recording, and hear the clips playback when you're not, and all other tracks monitoring will be set to off. So you are monitoring just the track you are recording onto, hearing just the effects from that track.

I've uploaded my bidule, so you can use that as a starting point to set up your own rig:

http://www.malcolmpayne.com/arming_work ... bidule.zip

regards

malcolm
Live 4.1, Panther OS 10.3.8, Powerbook G4 1.25 Ghz, 512 MB RAM

hoffman2k

Post by hoffman2k » Sun Mar 20, 2005 9:28 pm

Nice one, you just made me a trend-setter 8)