Launchpad- making a Combinination of Session View&User Mode

UHE is now closed. For Technical Support from Ableton, please go here: http://www.ableton.com/support
motherbrain5000

Launchpad- making a Combinination of Session View&User Mode

Post by motherbrain5000 » Fri Jan 15, 2010 5:04 pm

For what I do on live I can get away with just 2 rows of session feedback (ie I only need to know the statuses of clip slots in the first 2 rows- the top 16 buttons). The rest of the buttons I would like to use as status indicators of various effects (ie lights toggling on/off to indicate whether an effect is on or not)

In "user modes 1&2" when mapping the launchpad buttons to toggle an effect on and off the lights behave as expected: when the effect is on, the corresponding launchpad light is on. When the effect is off the corresponding launchpad light is OFF.

In session mode it behaves differently: when the effect is on the corresponding launchpad light is on and solid, when the effect is off the corresponding launchpad light blinks.

Is it that you JUST CAN'T midi map any of the session mode buttons period? With no customization ever possible? That'd be a bummer. It's SO close.

Also, I CAN midi map the clip slots to the top 2 rows of launchpad buttons in the User modes but they don't provide all the great feedback (like color coding to specify whether or not the clip is playing or if the slot is loaded with a clip etc.- not to mention moving around the set)

Any help would be appreciated

Cheers,
Motherbrain
Last edited by motherbrain5000 on Fri Jan 15, 2010 5:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

motherbrain5000

Re: Launchpad- making a Combinination of Session View&User Mode

Post by motherbrain5000 » Fri Jan 15, 2010 5:47 pm

If this does turn out to be a limitation of the launchpad and just a wishlist item- I think i may have come up with an elegant solution:

Allow Live's "red box" (that indicates what the launchpad is looking at) to be sizable! If you shrink the resolution of the grid (in my case to 16x2) the unused launch pad buttons become user mode buttons- or maybe they default to whatever they are setup for in user mode.

Wonder if someone can hack this. I'd buy them a beer.